Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree on using engine braking on steep terrain. Having driven in the snow a lot of my life, slow and steady is the way to go and you're actually better off to let the vehicle roll faster to maintain some steering rather than step on the brakes to slow down, because once you lockup, all is lost. Does the Bronco have a hill descent control? If so, what does that do exactly? (I've never had a vehicle with that).

Slow and steady also works going up hill and sometimes, momentum is king for some climbs. Many times on snow covered city streets, I've cursed drivers who don't realize this and stop on a hill for some reason, or folks coming down, not getting out of the way to provide right-of-way to someone climbing up, or worse, someone backing out of their driveway while you're trying to climb the street and they kill your climb. :(
According to Google
Available Hill Descent Control is essentially a cruise control system that uses traction control technology with anti-lock brakes. 10. This system continually adjusts braking pressure to help control slippage and maintain a constant preset speed while you are going down a steep grade.
Sponsored

Bud2020

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch 2.7 Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wot

martyb

Badlands
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra Denali, VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Once you lose traction you are going to go for a ride until you regain it. No braking or engine retardation is going to help... gravity overcoming grip. Chains are probably the only solution.

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
I agree on using engine braking on steep terrain. Having driven in the snow a lot of my life, slow and steady is the way to go and you're actually better off to let the vehicle roll faster to maintain some steering rather than step on the brakes to slow down, because once you lockup, all is lost. Does the Bronco have a hill descent control? If so, what does that do exactly? (I've never had a vehicle with that).
The bronco does have hill descent control and it does just want you want on a hill. Slowing the wheels but keeping them from locking up. I have used this on the f250 and it works great. It does make some noise as the brakes pulse.

I think you could use crawl control too but I don't know for certain that's just a guess as I have not driven a vehicle with that.

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Once you lose traction you are going to go for a ride until you regain it. No braking or engine retardation is going to help... gravity overcoming grip. Chains are probably the only solution.
Yup that's what chains are for.
If you don't have chains you can use a shovel to put dirt on the ice and you will have a lot more traction. I have used this and it works amazing well but it takes time to dig down to some dirt and then spread it out over the ice. But putting on chains takes time too. When the ice is in a small spot it can be easier to put some dirt or gravel on it.

Sponsored

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I thought Hill Descent Control was a MT only feature.
I think that was mentioned in the KOH video with the manual badlands

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thanks for posting. I now know I won’t be heading home from Granger westbound through Colorado in the event it snows and these idiots are on road.

martyb

Badlands
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra Denali, VW Atlas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought Hill Descent Control was a MT only feature.
I think that was mentioned in the KOH video with the manual badlands
I thought they said AT only...

Apples

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR, 2004 Lexus GX470
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I don't wheel in the snow for this reason. I strongly dislike losing traction.

But, IMO, he was going way to fast at the top of the hill. That needed to be a 1mph descent, not a 5mph. Also, he was at a disadvantage because there wasn't a lot of snow. The winter we've been having this year, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a layer of ice under that snow. More snow would have increased the chance of catching some traction or at least letting the snow push against the tires on the way down.

Finally, knowing Tomahawk Hill, I would have come down the left side, counting on the rockier terrain to break up my momentum.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yup that's what chains are for.
If you don't have chains you can use a shovel to put dirt on the ice and you will have a lot more traction. I have used this and it works amazing well but it takes time to dig down to some dirt and then spread it out over the ice. But putting on chains takes time too. When the ice is in a small spot it can be easier to put some dirt or gravel on it.
^^^THIS^^^
This is one reason I opted out of the Squatch. I'll be able to chain up my 255's easier than those 315's, and I already own them and they don't weigh two tons, and they (should) clear suspension components.

Wickspick

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Chain up, maintain momentum, auxiliary braking in moderation, avoid low end torque, plan ahead when braking and don’t get in a hurry. Driving in the snow is a lot of fun

OP
OP
Virtual-Chris

Virtual-Chris

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model