Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

From what I understand it is extremely similar but from opposite targets.

One is cruise control to keep you from falling below a speed
the other is a braking mechanism to keep you from going above a speed
Sponsored

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From what I understand it is extremely similar but from opposite targets.

One is cruise control to keep you from falling below a speed
the other is a braking mechanism to keep you from going above a speed
I think the cruise control is to maintain you at a speed going up or down a hill. Not going above or below that set speed. The other is a braking mechanism.

Last edited:

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I wonder what the difference is between Trail Control (AT) and Hill Decent Control (MT)?
That's what I remembered as well, only on the stick. So why do they have it on that auto?

OP
OP
Virtual-Chris

Virtual-Chris

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's what I remembered as well, only on the stick. So why do they have it on that auto?
My thinking is that Trail Control is the same as Hill Decent Control, except it also works going on flat or uphill terrain... it's basically a low-speed capable cruise control. So it may be Trail Control is a superset of Hill Decent Control.

Sponsored

Buckin Bronco

Badlands
First Name
ChoSunJuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Drop it into reverse, full send.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That was the most overly dramatic thing I've ever seen and my ex made my watch the Real Housewives of New Jersey.
He seemed genuinely afraid....but it wasn't his truck! Andre says no go 'cuz it is! Much more panic in your own!

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Drop it into reverse, full send.
Ding. Ding. Ding. We have a winner! This is the best downhill snow maneuver if you can't stop.

I'd go down the hill while in neutral (but in 4wd). You'll have much better braking control because there will be zero forward drive input from the engine. If you start to slide uncontrollably, apply full brakes while you shift into reverse.....and then hammer it. You'll stop every time.

Although in that video, he wouldn't need to do that. I'd be willing to bet that if he went down while in neutral, he wouldn't have slid at all.

OP
OP
Virtual-Chris

Virtual-Chris

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ding. Ding. Ding. We have a winner! This is the best downhill snow maneuver if you can't stop.

I'd go down the hill while in neutral (but in 4wd). You'll have much better braking control because there will be zero forward drive input from the engine. If you start to slide uncontrollably, apply full brakes while you shift into reverse.....and then hammer it. You'll stop every time.

Although in that video, he wouldn't need to do that. I'd be willing to bet that if he went down while in neutral, he wouldn't have slid at all.
I'd like to see that technique used in action... my sense is that if you're on a slippery slope and lost traction like he had in the video where you're basically a sled, sliding down the hill, I don't see how putting it into reverse is suddenly going to help regain traction.

Buckin Bronco

Badlands
First Name
ChoSunJuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd like to see that technique used in action... my sense is that if you're on a slippery slope and lost traction like he had in the video where you're basically a sled, sliding down the hill, I don't see how putting it into reverse is suddenly going to help regain traction.
It works, done it before. Back end can kick to the side a bit, but nothing major.

It works because you have opposite direction movement from all four tires. It slows you down enough to get out of trouble.

Sponsored

Hemisfear

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

LOL... that's not deep snow... THIS is deep snow...

1614734036446.png

[/QUOTE
Hey, that a shot from Winnipeg, my home town!
What does someone from North Van know about snow? lol

thecaptain

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yup that's what chains are for.
If you don't have chains you can use a shovel to put dirt on the ice and you will have a lot more traction. I have used this and it works amazing well but it takes time to dig down to some dirt and then spread it out over the ice. But putting on chains takes time too. When the ice is in a small spot it can be easier to put some dirt or gravel on it.
Basically why I typically had a bag of coarse sand or a container of cat litter in the trunk or the truck bed back when I routinely drove on snow. Shoveling dirt/rock works too, but (as you note) takes time.

OP
OP
Virtual-Chris

Virtual-Chris

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Found a couple of videos on Trail Control which make me think that this set on the Lowest 1 mph setting might offer a good chance of a controlled decent on a slippery slope.

Sponsored