Sponsored

How to have rear cargo area power outlet on full time?

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am not seeing this in BCM on forscan.. just Power Point Feature which is enabled and Powerpoint Timeout set to 4500 - can u point me in the right direction?
I have not tested the timeout, but my understanding is that the PowerPoint timeout is the time to power off. So if you want it never off, try setting it as high as you can?
Sponsored

mattm54

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
So weird. I changed the BCM settings early fall last for the cargo to be hot 24/7 and have been running my fridge in the fall and spring/early summer months in NY without issue. Fridge will cut out before battery is an issue (I’m constantly checking at startup and battery is 13-14V) - all of a sudden power is shutting off with ignition today. Some sort of OTA update?
Can you share how you did this in forscan? im not seeing option in BCM module - only option to make the Power Point stay on longer but not to keep the cargo area hot 24/7

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Can you share how you did this in forscan? im not seeing option in BCM module - only option to make the Power Point stay on longer but not to keep the cargo area hot 24/7
Just turn it to DISABLED

Though, I need to go back into Forscan. I think one of the OTA updates wiped it out on me. I’ve been meaning to do that. Thanks for the reminder.

sklnbnzaz

Badlands
First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So... get up every hour to open your car door to keep your refrigerator running. Sounds like a plan to me...
If you're planning to run your fridge off of the 12V on the main battery overnight, you're likely going to have more issues than just bad food when it drains the battery.

Mortonm

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you're planning to run your fridge off of the 12V on the main battery overnight, you're likely going to have more issues than just bad food when it drains the battery.
Most fridges will run for 2 or 3 days without draining rhe battery. Most also habe low voltage cutoff to avoid this

Sponsored

mattm54

First Edition
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Just turn it to DISABLED

Though, I need to go back into Forscan. I think one of the OTA updates wiped it out on me. I’ve been meaning to do that. Thanks for the reminder.

Sorry - turn PowerPoint timeout to disabled?

sklnbnzaz

Badlands
First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most fridges will run for 2 or 3 days without draining rhe battery. Most also habe low voltage cutoff to avoid this
While I get what you are saying here... It is still too risky for us and how "we" use our fridge.

We run our fridge off of a Goal Zero or a Jackery (we have both) so we don't have to worry about the main battery. We charge the battery with Solar and also with the 12v plug when the truck is turned on.

We are in Arizona so there are many nights in the summer where it does not get below 90 so the fridge has to work a bit more to keep up during those times.

Being off grid for a number of days at a time, there are two things to consider here if you are going to go the route of using your main battery to power your fridge...

1. Make sure you have a Nocoboost or something similar to jump your rig just in case.
2. If your fridge cuts off due to battery voltage, you risk spoilage (especially in the hotter climates) so for us, that risk is not worth it.

We have an ARB Zero 63q. It cut off once on the trail on a hot day (12v plug came loose from the socket). By the time we realized it, the fridge had gone from 33 degrees to 67 inside and that was probably over about a 2-3 hour timeframe. We were way out in the middle of nowhere so took the risk on the food and were ok, but never want to be in that spot again.

I am not doubting that it would run overnight on the main battery, but for us and as often as we utilize it, I am just not willing to take that risk.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The last time I went camping I ran into this same situation, still don't know what I'm going to do for future situations like this but man did it stress me out.

So basically it was a really hot day. While I'm driving the fridge is always plugged into the Jeep. But once I settle and camp, I switch the fridge over to the Bluetti.

On this specific day, we got to camp early So I had switched over the fridge. By the time it was getting close to dinner, my power pack was already down to like 50%.

I actually had my solar panels hooked up, but they're only 100 watt and there was some trees and the solar panel couldn't keep up with the power draining.

So with no other options, I basically had to start the Jeep, plug the fridge back in to the cargo power, and plug the Bluetti into the inverted to charge. Left the jeep running for a couple of hours to get the battery pack up to a level where I knew it could make it through the night (and eventually it cooled off a bit which I'm sure helped)

When I got back home, I ordered a jumper pack from Amazon. I'd rather have my car battery go dead than my food get spoiled (well that's assuming the jumper pack works :unsure: )

willettj

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I had this working with the PowerPoint disabled for the brake controller in my Bronco when towing behind the RV. Now the setting still shows disabled but power point goes off immediately when ignition off. I even enabled it and the original default settings of the timeout don't work, it still goes off immidiately. Ford did some OTA that messed this up

Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have a dedicated ARB socket that I’ve been meaning to run for this same reason. That and the factory wiring gauge is so thin, that the fridge will error out sometimes because of poor voltage.

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a dedicated ARB socket that I’ve been meaning to run for this same reason. That and the factory wiring gauge is so thin, that the fridge will error out sometimes because of poor voltage.
I ran 8 ga wire to a aux fuse panel in the rear for my sub/amp install and came off a 40A fuse from there to a Aux power point for such things. I don't have the tunes cranked anyway when I'm using that port but don't think there would be an issue even if I did.

willettj

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It started working as desired again after the first leg of our trip.. my RV charges the Bronco thru the tow harness and my theory is the Bronco is disabling the power point if the battery is not at a certain charge level, even though I am getting no warnings etc relevant to the battery..
Sponsored