Sponsored

How-To-Install the JKS Tie Rod Sleeves

Northridge4x4

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots of Jeeps and one lone Bronco (so far)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Join @Tech Tim in the Northridge4x4 DIY garage as he show you how easy it is to install the JKS Tie Rod Sleeves:

We're finally getting onto the build of our Base model Bronco.... stay tuned, more videos coming.
Sponsored

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Seems like a nice solution but how does an alignment tech adjust the inner tie rod since this covers up the flats on it?

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Seems like a nice solution but how does an alignment tech adjust the inner tie rod since this covers up the flats on it?

The alignment is not on the inner. The outer is either turned in or out on the inner to get the desired toe adjustment.

So the sleeve would need turned in, then the jam nut for the outer needs turned in and then the adjustment made to the outer, in or out, then jam nut back tight, then sleeve back tight.

The thing to remember is that after they have been together for awhile and encounter the elements they will tend to rust together and will usually require cutting them off and replacing with new to get the alignment in spec. This is very common in the "rust" belt.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The alignment is not on the inner. The outer is either turned in or out on the inner to get the desired toe adjustment.

So the sleeve would need turned in, then the jam nut for the outer needs turned in and then the adjustment made to the outer, in or out, then jam nut back tight, then sleeve back tight.

The thing to remember is that after they have been together for awhile and encounter the elements they will tend to rust together and will usually require cutting them off and replacing with new to get the alignment in spec. This is very common in the "rust" belt.
I don't follow. You can't turn the outer unless you break it free from the knuckle and then you can only adjust in 360 degree increments?

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don't follow. You can't turn the outer unless you break it free from the knuckle and then you can only adjust in 360 degree increments?
Yeah I misread it, was thinking of it all wrong. (wife was distracting me while I was trying to respond). You would have to use a pipe wrench or something similar just above the sleeve to adjust.

I went back and watched video. I thought it reused the jam nut but I get it now. ;) So you would just loosen the sleeve and adjust the inner and retighten.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tech Tim

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You can't turn the outer unless you break it free from the knuckle and then you can only adjust in 360 degree increments?

Yes, to adjust the toe, you have break it free from the knuckle and then spin the outer tie rod to the proper spec.

It is exactly the same as adjusting with the stock jam nut. Just think of that sleeve as a longer nut.

As @Snacktime posted above, there is just enough room to get a thin wrench or pliers on the flats of the inner tie rod to hold it while breaking loose the sleeve (locking nut). I should've mentioned that in the video.

To keep corrosion down, we highly recommend using antisieze all along the inner tie rod, except for where the sleeve is threaded on the inner tie rod, useable Loctite there.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yes, to adjust the toe, you have break it free from the knuckle and then spin the outer tie rod to the proper spec.

It is exactly the same as adjusting with the stock jam nut. Just think of that sleeve as a longer nut.
This is where you're losing me. The normal alignment procedure is to loosen the jam nut then turn the inner tie rod because you have infinite adjustability on it. I'm sure I could make it happen if I was aligning it myself but I'm just wondering if I'm going to get a "nope!" from an alignment shop once they take a look at it.

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

They just use a pair of channel locks on the inner it turns real easy. I had the dealership align mine after installing the sleeves. Cost me 90$ for the alignment which wasn’t hardly off at all. Use the caliper to measure the length and you’ll get it almost spot on.

Tech Tim

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is where you're losing me. The normal alignment procedure is to loosen the jam nut then turn the inner tie rod because you have infinite adjustability on it. I'm sure I could make it happen if I was aligning it myself but I'm just wondering if I'm going to get a "nope!" from an alignment shop once they take a look at it.
Sorry, my typing didn't match what was going on in my head... :ROFLMAO:

I was confirming what you said earlier about breaking the TRE loose from the knuckle and turning the outer..... You can do it that way.

But as you and @Frankie945 say right above, it is easiest to loosen the sleeve, just like you do the nut and then spin the inner with a wrench (or pliers).

Any alignment shop should be able to figure that out. If they're having probs, just tell them to think of that sleeve as an extra long nut.

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sorry, my typing didn't match what was going on in my head... :ROFLMAO:

That is just what happened to me on my first response. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Stonetree

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

As @Snacktime posted above, there is just enough room to get a thin wrench or pliers on the flats of the inner tie rod to hold it while breaking loose the sleeve (locking nut). I should've mentioned that in the video.

To keep corrosion down, we highly recommend using antisieze all along the inner tie rod, except for where the sleeve is threaded on the inner tie rod, useable Loctite there.
I installed the jks sleeves about a month ago. There wasn't a mention of using anti seize. Now I'm concerned about corrosion. I don't want to go through the hassle of taking the sleeves off. Would sprayimg some fluid film inside the top of the sleeves prevent corrosion? Are the sleeve threads destined to rust to the tie rod threads? Any other suggestions?

Tech Tim

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you are in an area they use road salt, this could become a problem.

Fluid film would probably help.

sea382

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Squatch