Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Awesome write up! One of the first mods I plan on doing. I can confirm the factory wireless charger is worthless. Causes my iPhone to overheat and shutdown and doesn’t even charge the phone. Just keeps it at the current charge at best.
Here is the pinout for the factory wireless charger connector. Interested to know if it supplies 12v (pins 1,5 - power and ground). If so, you could find the female version of the connector over on mouser and make your own pigtail/power source. Thats what I was going to do if Ford had tucked the connector away, unused. I didnt see it though. Might be more trouble than what it's worth just to use the factory connector and circuit.

Ford Bronco HOW TO: MagSafe Wireless Charger Install in Factory Location - DIY Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 12.29.48 PM

I had a discussion a while back with another forum member. He was looking into modifying the factory unit to make it more powerful. This would be awesome as it would still be on the CAN system. Isn't there some kind of indicator on the screen when a phone is wireless charging? The hope is that would still function but offer high speed charging by increasing the power output. I'm not sure where he is with all of that though.
Sponsored

GreenMtnBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BadSquatch; 13 Wrangler JK; 04 Lifted Mini
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why don’t people like the factory charger? It seems to work for me.
I have an Iphone XS and it overheats to the point that it shuts down to save itself.

So you went from not having a charger and adding one. I'd be interested to see the process from someone that already has a charger there and wants to swap in the MagSafe charger.
+1 on this!

RogueSqdn

First Edition
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The charger on my FE hardly ever stays connected to my iPhone (had the 12 Pro Max, have the 13 Pro now).

I got a Threekey Magsafe charger from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NX9PC72/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and taped it to the underside of the rubber pad with Gorilla tape.

I got this one for two reasons: 1) I wanted black, the white Apple one would stand out, and 2) the Apple one gives a "USB device not compatible" message when plugged into the Bronco's USB-C port.

It works good so far.

OP
OP
j_anderson

j_anderson

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The charger on my FE hardly ever stays connected to my iPhone (had the 12 Pro Max, have the 13 Pro now).

I got a Threekey Magsafe charger from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NX9PC72/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and taped it to the underside of the rubber pad with Gorilla tape.

I got this one for two reasons: 1) I wanted black, the white Apple one would stand out, and 2) the Apple one gives a "USB device not compatible" message when plugged into the Bronco's USB-C port.

It works good so far.
Do you get the MagSafe charge animation when your phone is placed on it?

RogueSqdn

First Edition
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

On the screen of the phone? Yes.

I also get the charge indication on the Carplay screen. I went on a 20 minute drive around to test it last night and my charge went up from 66% to 73%.

Sponsored
OP
OP
j_anderson

j_anderson

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

On the screen of the phone? Yes.

I also get the charge indication on the Carplay screen. I went on a 20 minute drive around to test it last night and my charge went up from 66% to 73%.
Perfect!

RogueSqdn

First Edition
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I should also state that I'm using the Apple green leather Magsafe case on my iPhone 13 Pro.

Charging compatibility on the Threekey, picture from the Amazon page:

Ford Bronco HOW TO: MagSafe Wireless Charger Install in Factory Location - DIY 1641066330986

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Awesome write up.

OP
OP
j_anderson

j_anderson

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

O
I should also state that I'm using the Apple green leather Magsafe case on my iPhone 13 Pro.

Charging compatibility on the Threekey, picture from the Amazon page:

Ford Bronco HOW TO: MagSafe Wireless Charger Install in Factory Location - DIY 1641066330986
Ok. So it’s not charging at the faster speed then. With apple puck and 20w charger (or adequate usb-c PD port) you get 15w

RogueSqdn

First Edition
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

True, but it IS increasing the charge, not just maintaining it. As long as it does that, I'll be ok with it.

I have a Magsafe charger on my desk at work, so my phone stays charged most of the day. If I'm on the road and need a faster charge than the Magsafe can give me, I can always plug directly in to the USB port (I have the old cable I used in my Escape in the glove box of my Bronco).

Sponsored

nminus1

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Duramax, Trailblazer, and Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
Great write up! Really well done.
I'll stay with a cord for now I've got bigger fish to fry when I get my Bronco, like ripping out those crap speakers and setting up the stereo.

OP
OP
j_anderson

j_anderson

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Great write up! Really well done.
I'll stay with a cord for now I've got bigger fish to fry when I get my Bronco, like ripping out those crap speakers and setting up the stereo.
I’m waiting until the aftermarket can come up with a DSP specifically for Bronco or a way to get around the level limits Ford has programmed into the system!

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So you went from not having a charger and adding one. I'd be interested to see the process from someone that already has a charger there and wants to swap in the MagSafe charger.
Curious about that too. I wonder if the block off plate is still there and the wireless charger sits below it or if the wireless charger itself is the block off plate.
I’ll be doing it but probably not for a few weeks. However, I’ll check to see what type of block off plate/adapter is there when I go to pull my center floor console for my brake controller this week.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’m loving this thread. I’m looking forward to tackling this project myself.

One question for OP (@j_anderson) - forgive me if this is obvious - but, using that T-Harness allows you to keep power to 12v in the rear of the console AND power the MagSafe without loosing any voltage while running both?

ThrvinBronco

First Edition
First Name
JASON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco , 2019 f250, 2014 f350
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Today, I tackled adding a wireless charger. I am an iPhone guy and I wanted to make sure I am getting the highest wattage wireless charge since wireless charging is super inefficient anyway and wireless CarPlay is a battery leech.

For iPhone to have the highest wattage wireless charge possible, you need a power source which will supply enough power and a MagSafe puck from Apple or a certified MagSafe puck from another manufacturer. There are a ton of magnetic wireless chargers available on Amazon, eBay, etc that say "MagSafe compatible" but that is not the same as certified and those do not allow full power wireless charging. I chose the one from Apple since the 3D printed holder is designed for the Apple dimensions.

This CNET article dives into the power requirements for speed charging via MagSafe.

On to the install. I chose to buy a power source from a company called CoolGear (linked in list below).
View attachment 233953

I installed my charger where the factory one from the Lux package would be located. It is found below the HVAC controls in the floor console. There is a block-off plate located below the rubber mat.

To get to that block off plate, you have to remove the top plate of the console.

• Release the retainers and remove the trim panel.

• Release the retainers and lower the steering column opening trim panel.
Use the General Equipment: Interior Trim Remover

• Open the glove compartment.

NOTE: Vehicles not equipped with a handle are equipped with a trim plate. The bolts and trim plate must be removed.
  • Remove the bolts and the handle or trim plate.

• Remove the screws
  • Release the retainers
  • Remove the lower instrument panel trim panel.
  • Disconnect the electrical connectors

Insert a trim tool between the selector lever boot and the trim ring to release the retainer tabs from the trim ring.
Use the General Equipment: Interior Trim Remover

• Lift the selector lever boot upwards.

Release the retainers, feed the shift boot through the panel opening, and remove the floor console upper trim panel.

Note, the shift lever must be moved to the drive position to remove the panel.
  • Disconnect the electrical connectors.
    • Use the General Equipment: Interior Trim Remover

Once the console top plate is removed you can remove the block-off plate.
  • Remove the 4, star shaped torx screws

With the plate removed, use a pencil and a straight edge. Find the center of the plate by drawing lines from each corner

X marks the spot!
  • Drill a pilot hole.
  • Using a 2.5" hole saw, cut the opening for the 3D printed MagSafe holder (link to 3D printer file below).
  • Use a sharp blade to clean up and enlarge hole slightly to fit the holder.
  • Insert the MagSafe holder into the block-off plate.

It's a tight fit so, I didnt glue it in.

• Install MagSafe Puck.

I skinned mine so it wouldn't be silver/gray. (link to skin below)

With the upper console bit all done, time for the power source install.

Before installing the accessory harness, extend the wires to the correct length and attach the included power source connector. The harness comes with crimp style connectors but I removed those and soldered the extra length wire and shrink wrapped the joints. I used cloth harness tape to dress the wires.

To gain access to the consoles 12v power port connector
  • Remove the back side of the console by pulling the panel toward the rear of the vehicle. The panel is held on with clips. It pops right off.

With the back of the console removed
  • Unplug the gray 12v power port plug.
  • Insert the accessory power T-harness (4dtech harness linked below).
  • Route and feed the extended wire through the console along the floor and up to where the power source module will be installed.

I installed the power source module by removing one of the grab handle structure bolts circled below.

• Remove the bolt.
  • Slide it through one side of the power source case flange
  • Reinstall the bolt.

• Plug the wires from the power accessory harness into the power module.
  • Plug the MagSafe puck into the power module's USB-C port.
  • Reinstall everything else by reversing the tear down instructions above.

Place mat over the top and DONE!

I am going to run it like this for a few days but I think ultimately, I may need to cut the rubber mat and shim the MagSafe puck to come up through the mat and sit flush. This would be the strongest magnetic connection with the phone for the most efficient charge. Also, as a bonus, I have a spare USB port on the power source that I plan to use to power the port I want to add to the upper dash defrost panel.

Item list:
Apple MagSafe puck
3D printable puck holder file on Thingiverse
Coolgear Power Source
4dtech Power Accessory Harness
O.E. Wireless Charger Rubber Mat (optional) Part number: M2DZ78047A74CA
EasySkins Matte Black MagSafe puck skins
All of a sudden plugging a lightning cable in does see that bad. Haha. Great job but seems like more work than I want to do
Sponsored