Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’m loving this thread. I’m looking forward to tackling this project myself.

One question for OP (@j_anderson) - forgive me if this is obvious - but, using that T-Harness allows you to keep power to 12v in the rear of the console AND power the MagSafe without loosing any voltage while running both?
The t-harness is tying into the 12v port that’s inside the armrest not the ones for the back seat passengers. I have a 12v charger plugged into that port still for topping off my watch on longer drives and it works while also running the MagSafe to charge the phone. No issues so far.

edit to add: the nice thing about the t-harness is it’s fused.
Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ah, ok. Cool. I use the 12v in the console for an inverter power strip for my son (switch lite, etc). So, good to know that continues to work at the same time.

TyGuy40

Badlands
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Bonneville
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1. 3D Print your holder in advance and order all the stuff from the list.
  2. Remove the top console plate.
  3. Cut the hole for the holder and install the holder and charge puck.
  4. Wire and install the power source.
  5. Reinstall all trim panels that were removed.
And just to be clear....you didn't have a wireless charger already? I guess what I am asking is do you need the lux package to do this? Or can you add this in with the high-package too. Also, how close are you to Austin, LOL. I'll pay good money for this. ;)

OP
OP
j_anderson

j_anderson

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

And just to be clear....you didn't have a wireless charger already? I guess what I am asking is do you need the lux package to do this? Or can you add this in with the high-package too. Also, how close are you to Austin, LOL. I'll pay good money for this. ;)
I did not have the factory charger. I have the High package in my OBX.

If you can get yourself to Indiana, I can do the install 😂

I know the write up is long but it is actually very simple. It takes a little time to get everything apart but this is one of the easiest mods you’ll do

Sponsored

CodaMojo

Wildtrak
First Name
Coda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 EG Wildtrack, 2014 Ford Escape, 2010 350z
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Today, I tackled adding a wireless charger. I am an iPhone guy and I wanted to make sure I am getting the highest wattage wireless charge since wireless charging is super inefficient anyway and wireless CarPlay is a battery leech.

For iPhone to have the highest wattage wireless charge possible, you need a power source which will supply enough power and a MagSafe puck from Apple or a certified MagSafe puck from another manufacturer. There are a ton of magnetic wireless chargers available on Amazon, eBay, etc that say "MagSafe compatible" but that is not the same as certified and those do not allow full power wireless charging. I chose the one from Apple since the 3D printed holder is designed for the Apple dimensions.

This CNET article dives into the power requirements for speed charging via MagSafe.

On to the install. I chose to buy a power source from a company called CoolGear (linked in list below).
View attachment 233953

I installed my charger where the factory one from the Lux package would be located. It is found below the HVAC controls in the floor console. There is a block-off plate located below the rubber mat.

IMG_6763.JPG

To get to that block off plate, you have to remove the top plate of the console.

• Release the retainers and remove the trim panel.
1640919976602.png

• Release the retainers and lower the steering column opening trim panel.
Use the General Equipment: Interior Trim Remover

1640919976800.png

• Open the glove compartment.

1640919976866.png

NOTE: Vehicles not equipped with a handle are equipped with a trim plate. The bolts and trim plate must be removed.
  • Remove the bolts and the handle or trim plate.

1640919976930.png

• Remove the screws
  • Release the retainers
  • Remove the lower instrument panel trim panel.
  • Disconnect the electrical connectors

1640919977015.png

Insert a trim tool between the selector lever boot and the trim ring to release the retainer tabs from the trim ring.
Use the General Equipment: Interior Trim Remover

• Lift the selector lever boot upwards.

1640919977095.png

Release the retainers, feed the shift boot through the panel opening, and remove the floor console upper trim panel.

Note, the shift lever must be moved to the drive position to remove the panel.
  • Disconnect the electrical connectors.
    • Use the General Equipment: Interior Trim Remover

1640919977164.png

Once the console top plate is removed you can remove the block-off plate.
  • Remove the 4, star shaped torx screws
IMG_6971.JPG

With the plate removed, use a pencil and a straight edge. Find the center of the plate by drawing lines from each corner

IMG_6972.JPG

X marks the spot!
  • Drill a pilot hole.
  • Using a 2.5" hole saw, cut the opening for the 3D printed MagSafe holder (link to 3D printer file below).
  • Use a sharp blade to clean up and enlarge hole slightly to fit the holder.
  • Insert the MagSafe holder into the block-off plate.

It's a tight fit so, I didnt glue it in.
IMG_6973.JPG

• Install MagSafe Puck.

I skinned mine so it wouldn't be silver/gray. (link to skin below)

IMG_6974.JPG

With the upper console bit all done, time for the power source install.

Before installing the accessory harness, extend the wires to the correct length and attach the included power source connector. The harness comes with crimp style connectors but I removed those and soldered the extra length wire and shrink wrapped the joints. I used cloth harness tape to dress the wires.

To gain access to the consoles 12v power port connector
  • Remove the back side of the console by pulling the panel toward the rear of the vehicle. The panel is held on with clips. It pops right off.

Screen Shot 2021-12-31 at 11.07.30 AM.png

With the back of the console removed
  • Unplug the gray 12v power port plug.
  • Insert the accessory power T-harness (4dtech harness linked below).
  • Route and feed the extended wire through the console along the floor and up to where the power source module will be installed.

Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 10.45.41 PM.png

I installed the power source module by removing one of the grab handle structure bolts circled below.

• Remove the bolt.
  • Slide it through one side of the power source case flange
  • Reinstall the bolt.

Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 10.22.34 PM.png

• Plug the wires from the power accessory harness into the power module.
  • Plug the MagSafe puck into the power module's USB-C port.
  • Reinstall everything else by reversing the tear down instructions above.

Place mat over the top and DONE!

IMG_6975.JPG

I am going to run it like this for a few days but I think ultimately, I may need to cut the rubber mat and shim the MagSafe puck to come up through the mat and sit flush. This would be the strongest magnetic connection with the phone for the most efficient charge. Also, as a bonus, I have a spare USB port on the power source that I plan to use to power the port I want to add to the upper dash defrost panel.

Item list:
Apple MagSafe puck
3D printable puck holder file on Thingiverse
Coolgear Power Source
4dtech Power Accessory Harness
O.E. Wireless Charger Rubber Mat (optional) Part number: M2DZ78047A74CA
EasySkins Matte Black MagSafe puck skins
not sure if answered OP, do you feel OEM installed wireless charger( on some packages) not efficient or viable? could you modify (if available )that to a puck as well?

OP
OP
j_anderson

j_anderson

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

not sure if answered OP, do you feel OEM installed wireless charger( on some packages) not efficient or viable? could you modify that to a puck as well?
From what others have said, the factory charger is unreliable, slow and generates a ton of heat.

I am not sure how the factory installed chargers are installed since mine didnt have one. It's possible the case could be modified to fit the puck but without seeing what is there, I can't say for sure.

OP
OP
j_anderson

j_anderson

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That’s a lot of work to not plug in a cord…
My wife likes to dangle her iPhone cord all over the console. Every time I get into her Bronco to drive it, I unplug the cord and put it on the passenger floor.

The other day I handed the cord to her and asked her why did we order the lux package then (knowing dang well what all the the lux package included) and her response was spot on..."Because you wanted the universal garage door opener and I wanted the ACC, heated steering wheel, B&O system & wireless charging. But the issue is, the heated steering wheel, B&O system and wireless charger are a joke and I can't believe Ford's highest package has these mediocre items. So we really paid $2300 for your universal garage door opener, my ACC and 2 extra front charging ports that should have already been included with the high package."

Sponsored

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

My wife likes to dangle her iPhone cord all over the console. Every time I get into her Bronco to drive it, I unplug the cord and put it on the passenger floor.

The other day I handed the cord to her and asked her why did we order the lux package then (knowing dang well what all the the lux package included) and her response was spot on..."Because you wanted the universal garage door opener and I wanted the ACC, heated steering wheel, B&O system & wireless charging. But the issue is, the heated steering wheel, B&O system and wireless charger are a joke and I can't believe Ford's highest package has these mediocre items. So we really paid $2300 for your universal garage door opener, my ACC and 2 extra front charging ports that should have already been included with the high package."
Spot on, but while B&O and heated steering wheel are mediocre, wireless charger is non-functioning.

OP
OP
j_anderson

j_anderson

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Spot on, but while B&O and heated steering wheel are mediocre, wireless charger is non-functioning.
I hear the heated wheel temperature can be adjusted using FORscan. I’d bet the dealer can do it too

B&O… well, no help there

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I hear the heated wheel temperature can be adjusted using FORscan. I’d bet the dealer can do it too

B&O… well, no help there
I only need it twice a year in south Texas. And yesterday was my first try at it. I now understand the complaints, those things usually get toasty not lukewarm. I’ll add it to the forscan list next time I’m in there Thanks.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

B&O… well, no help there
I need to dig deeper then on the steering wheel in ForScan thread. Already made other adjustments, so if possible it would be great. I only notice the wheel warm when I get into the Bronco. After that, I swear it shuts off. Steering wheel in my f150 gets warmer but her Bronco seats will almost scold someone and blow my f150 out of the water.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Curious about that too. I wonder if the block off plate is still there and the wireless charger sits below it or if the wireless charger itself is the block off plate.
Looking through my workshop manual and pulling the rubber mat in my lux package bronco it looks like the oem charger module is bolted to the underside of the bezel piece and replaces the non-lux bronco’s filler piece. So will need to obtain that filler piece in order to make this work with a magsafe charger. I’ll try to track that filler piece part # down tomorrow.

64633D58-AC8C-4195-8563-45C8D1802F3C.jpeg

DFE3CA9D-1D81-49A6-871A-4104C8DE58A2.jpeg
Sponsored