First Name
Tina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I made this release handle out of paracord so that I can get out from the inside of my Bronco rear swing gate.

Ford Bronco How to Make an Emergency Release Handle for Inside of Swing Gate 6bL09QI72IAo3bMWk4D9NBfpoVi96MOjHXExWhMyH-ebuFtNIA

Recommended Tools & Supplies
  • Plastic pry tools
  • Four (4) inches of wire, or anything you can fashion into a flexible sorta needle, I used 22 gauge craft wire.
  • Small needle-nose pliers
  • Something skinny with a small hook on the end, I used a loop turner for sewing. You could probably use a hook and pick tool set too.
  • Twenty (20) feet of paracord, I used PARACORD PLANET 275 LB Tensile Strength Paracord Rope for the inner cord and PARACORD PLANET 425 LB Tensile Strength for the outer cord. (You may not need this much.)
  • Lighter
  • Paracord FID or something metal to push ends through when done and smooth out singed ends. I used a pair of large pair of tweezers (again from my sewing kit!)
Ford Bronco How to Make an Emergency Release Handle for Inside of Swing Gate 7YaNAlBn-lfy97qoExvYvSGJSJbmcFTYPvCTdwm82xHDQSuIBw

Follow these steps:
1. Use the pry tools to remove the tailgate trim panel.
Start on the left side, the left side has the clips, and the right side just slips out once the clips are popped out.

2. Remove the inside release lever cover.

3. Using the small needle-nose pliers, find the release lever (just so you know where it is. It's very hard to see).

Ford Bronco How to Make an Emergency Release Handle for Inside of Swing Gate pX-syLGpOp1AStZCWQqHrRuMQr49sk32gELFPBvwEOO3w8HdCQ

4. Fashion your wire into a flexible needle with a small loop at one end.

Ford Bronco How to Make an Emergency Release Handle for Inside of Swing Gate oQBdG3uLjT0e2UXnnLjqLFwAsFKT0s6NoVYqvBVorBrFNcfZkA

5. Poke the other end through the end of your inner paracord, and squeeze it closed to secure.

Ford Bronco How to Make an Emergency Release Handle for Inside of Swing Gate dtm6wT5JVyMeaA0Fhgf5Ij9ZuNTLfkDSq8qrFbadKaxMBMP0
6. Feed the loop end of the wire through the hole in the release lever.
This is the tricky part, but I swear there is a hole in there!

7. Once you get the wire through, use the loop turner or hook to grab the loop end and pull the paracord through. It helps to push lightly from the paracord end while pulling it through from the other end.
Success! At this point, I closed the tailgate to check that it worked, with the window open, of course!

Now that you have your paracord through the hole, you need to determine the size of your loop. Pull enough paracord through until you have two strands, equal length and long enough to form a simple loop plus a couple of inches. I used about 60 inches total but 30 inches as it is doubled on itself.

8. Tie a regular ā€˜ol knot just at the end of the lever ā€œtunnelā€ to keep it all tidy.

Ford Bronco How to Make an Emergency Release Handle for Inside of Swing Gate dTcY1FWz11LMLczSgghc9ApIpihKmYdHaRjFQ3T04mMDsB5jIA

9. Feed the loose ends through the tailgate trim panel.

Ford Bronco How to Make an Emergency Release Handle for Inside of Swing Gate ilbA8xTRK0OpHozE0dW6pHHPJslovYiu7FPtK25WB2htxDz39w

10. Replace the trim panel by sliding the right side into place and pressing the left side clips into the swing gate.

11. Fashion the cord into a loop handle as you please. I used a cobra knot, but this was my first time using paracord, so not sure I could explain it as well as the zillions of videos on youtube. I liked Bored? Paracord! and Paracord Planet videos.

UPDATE: Be sure the loop is thin enough to tuck back into the trim panel to avoid accidental or nefarious openings!

12. Once you are done, just pull the handle along the tailgate, as shown below.
Donā€™t pull straight away from the tailgate. It wonā€™t work and may damage the lever.

Ford Bronco How to Make an Emergency Release Handle for Inside of Swing Gate sB5Dw9NhJPt8sPr65rQVHVkGDZQJX5CTQKoAc6tef1R3-5d1rQ

This is what is happening when you pull the cord:

Sponsored

Last edited:

Grayeti

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Very nice! Great idea too.

GaryB2220

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 4runner, '10 Town & Country
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good idea!

jdawg

Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Atlas/65Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Awesome. Even looks good. If the door is locked, does it still open?

Sponsored

BroncoB

First Edition
First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I donā€™t know why Ford doesnā€™t include release levers for these kinds of things. I had to fashion a handle (out of paracord) to release the latch of the driver side rear seat back on my F150 screw so I could get behind it and utilize the space.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I donā€™t know why Ford doesnā€™t include release levers for these kinds of things. I had to fashion a handle (out of paracord) to release the latch of the driver side rear seat back on my F150 screw so I could get behind it and utilize the space.
It's not mandated by law, since it's not a "trunk" and that would cost them money, is my guess.

Great write-up, OP!

Before doing this cargo door release setup, @Tricky Dick found himself trapped in the back of his Bronco like...

Ford Bronco How to Make an Emergency Release Handle for Inside of Swing Gate giphy

Last edited:

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If Ford included something like this it would be pretty easy to open the rear hatch with a coat hanger slipped between the glass and hatch. I wonder if doing this when the doors are locked will trip an alarm.

CashOfLegend

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2009 Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

great now they can escape...Good Job!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tina

Tina

Black Diamond
First Name
Tina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
something your dog can trip while romping around in the back?
This is an excellent point! My dog rides in the backseat but I'm glad you mentioned it for others!

OP
OP
Tina

Tina

Black Diamond
First Name
Tina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Awesome. Even looks good. If the door is locked, does it still open?
Hmm, haven't tried it. Iā€™ll get back to you.

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
MoonbeamšŸ‘€
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is an excellent point! My dog rides in the backseat but I'm glad you mentioned it for others!
Maybe less likely to snag if it's 2 tails instead of a noose

You got me thinking, i might use my garage door emergency handle and cord(removed because theives)
Sponsored

Last edited: