Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Never miss a software update!
  1. Set a recurring schedule: For more complex software updates, your vehicle cannot be driven during the installation (typically up to 1 hour). We recommend setting a recurring schedule for a time when your vehicle is not needed (like overnight).
  2. Confirm you have Automatic Updates ON: Most software updates happen in the background while you are driving as long as you have automatic updates toggled ON. This setting is ON by default but we ask that you check your settings screen to confirm.
Both actions can be completed from the settings screen in your vehicle. Click here for step by step instructions.

MORE INFO ADDED BY @flip

Depending on the update the vehicle requires, there are two installation processes:

Driveable Updates
  • Some updates can complete seamlessly in the background. They replace a part of software without impacting the rest of the system
  • SYNC 4 Technology is fully functional while the update is downloading
  • If the Automatic Updates are On, a message will appear in the in-vehicle touchscreen informing the driver of the update and if Wi-Fi is required
  • If Automatic Updates are Off, a message will appear on the in-vehicle touchscreen asking the driver to confirm the update and if Wi‑Fi is required
  • The update will automatically complete in the background. If consent or a Wi‑Fi connection is required, an icon will appear in the touchscreen's upper status bar
  • When the vehicle is restarted, an "Update Successful" icon will appear on the in-vehicle touchscreen. The customer can tap the notification icon to read details about the update or view details on the FordPass App or owner.ford.com
  • If the update fails or if Ford decides to revert to a previous software version, the system will go back to its previous version. Customers will be notified if the update fails, expires or is canceled in-vehicle
Non-driveable Updates
  • The majority of Ford Power-Up software updates will be considered non-driveable updates (parked with the ignition off). This means that the update will erase the system or module and replace it with the latest version of the software
  • The vehicle will not be driveable during this time and the update may take up to 45 minutes to complete. Any updates that may require the vehicle to be parked can be scheduled to take place when customers find it most convenient
  • When a recurring schedule is set, customers will receive an in-vehicle reminder notification at first key cycle within 24 hours of the update. The vehicle will display another notification two minutes before the update begins
  • Scheduling is required to ensure that the updates occur at a convenient time when the customer chooses and when the vehicle is not in use
    • If the vehicle is in use, the system will not update and will automatically postpone to the next scheduled time. Customers will receive a notification that the update was unsuccessful
    • If the vehicle is not in use, a “Preparing Updates” message will appear in the in-vehicle touchscreen and a two-minute countdown will begin. Customers will be prompted to exit the vehicle and lock it, as it will be disarmed during the updates
    • Preconditions may be required for certain updates. If the preconditions are not met, the customer will be notified and the update will not complete
  • When the vehicle is restarted, an "Update Successful" icon will appear in the in-vehicle touchscreen. The customer can tap the notification icon to read details about the updates
  • Customers can also check the status of an update in their FordPass App or on owner.ford.com

Manual Update System Details
Non-driveable Updates

NOTE:
If Automatic Updates are Off, updates are not installed automatically and require the customer to review and approve each update. The vehicle may require important Ford Power-Up software updates, therefore, this method is not recommended.
  • When a new update is available, the customer will see an icon on the in-vehicle touchscreen status bar. To review the update, tap the icon for details to proceed
  • Once the update is reviewed, a notification will appear on the in-vehicle touchscreen with information about how long the installation will take. After that, an "Update Ready Install" icon is accessible on the status bar
  • The driver can tap "Update" on the in-vehicle touchscreen to begin installation
  • If the vehicle is not in use, a “Preparing Updates” message will appear in the in-vehicle touchscreen and a two-minute countdown will begin. Customers will be prompted to exit the vehicle and lock it, as it will be disarmed during non-driveable updates
  • Preconditions may be required for certain updates. If the preconditions are not met, the customer will be notified and the update will not complete
  • If the updates were completed successfully, an "Update Successful" icon will appear on the in-vehicle touchscreen when the vehicle is restarted. The customer can click the notification icon to read details about the update
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB500SL, HD Road King Custom
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Never miss a software update!
  1. Set a recurring schedule: For more complex software updates, your vehicle cannot be driven during the installation (typically up to 1 hour). We recommend setting a recurring schedule for a time when your vehicle is not needed (like overnight).
  2. Confirm you have Automatic Updates ON: Most software updates happen in the background while you are driving as long as you have automatic updates toggled ON. This setting is ON by default but we ask that you check your settings screen to confirm.

Both actions can be completed from the settings screen in your vehicle. Click here for step by step instructions.
Thanks.

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

1. How do we decline any updates that aren't 100% necessary for safety?

2. I'm not ok with my vehicle being randomly inoperable for an hour. What if there is an emergency? Was this supposed to be disclosed to us before buying the vehicle? I was pretty knowledgeable about everything and didn't hear this before.

Edit: Or what if my wife is working late somewhere and the car decides it's parked for the night and updates leaving her unable to leave until the update is done?

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2. I'm not ok with my vehicle being randomly inoperable for an hour. What if there is an emergency? Was this supposed to be disclosed to us before buying the vehicle? I was pretty knowledgeable about everything and didn't hear this before.

Edit: Or what if my wife is working late somewhere and the car decides it's parked for the night and updates leaving her unable to leave until the update is done?
Ford Bronco How to never miss a OTA software update! [Instructions] cdc

Sponsored

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Step 1: Invent time machine.

Step 2: Move to 1972

Step 3: Profit?

Alternatively, don't buy a modern, connected car if these things are a problem for you.

On a less sarcastic note, I'm willing to bet you can still drive the vehicle but it interrupts the update. Maybe they'll chime in, but their forum PR person doesn't seem to be particularly knowledgeable.

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ok. Educate me.
The software updates that get pushed out in this fashion are for Sync, not for the functionality of the car. And, most modern systems that update firmware like this will load the firmware, do a bunch of checksumming and once complete, will then reboot the software. Meaning, it's moments of downtime, not hours, and it doesn't affect the vehicle.

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Step 1: Invent time machine.

Step 2: Move to 1972

Step 3: Profit?

Alternatively, don't buy a modern, connected car if these things are a problem for you.

On a less sarcastic note, I'm willing to bet you can still drive the vehicle but it interrupts the update. Maybe they'll chime in, but their forum PR person doesn't seem to be particularly knowledgeable.
I don't have a problem being connected. I do have a problem with the car being inoperable for some period of time. The information in the link seems to say you can't have any access to the car during the update. It appears you cant even unlock it if it was locked when the update starts.

I would think this would be disclosed in big bold letters when we bought it.

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The software updates that get pushed out in this fashion are for Sync, not for the functionality of the car. And, most modern systems that update firmware like this will load the firmware, do a bunch of checksumming and once complete, will then reboot the software. Meaning, it's moments of downtime, not hours, and it doesn't affect the vehicle.
This is how I thought it would work but it is not what he said or what the link says. Link says you can't even unlock the car during a download.

"For more complex software updates, your vehicle cannot be driven during the installation (typically up to 1 hour)."

What does that mean?

Sponsored

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This is how I thought it would work but it is not he said or what the link says. Link says you can't even unlock the car during a download.

"For more complex software updates, your vehicle cannot be driven during the installation (typically up to 1 hour)."

What does that mean?
Ah, right you are. Didn't even notice that nugget in there.

I revise my statement, Ford in 2022 is about 3 years behind 2014 BMW iDrive tech.

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What version are 2021s supposed to be on anyway?

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ah, right you are. Didn't even notice that nugget in there.

I revise my statement, Ford in 2022 is about 3 years behind 2014 BMW iDrive tech.
Yeah, I almost missed it but then got a little nervous when I clicked the link. I get these updates are probably rare and the chances of needing the vehicle during the exact time of an update is unlikely but it will happen eventually with enough units.

• For updates that require your vehicle to be turned off, the door locks will remain as they were (locked or unlocked) when the update starts. Personal belonging should be removed from your vehicle or secured prior to beginning the update.

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I don't have a problem being connected. I do have a problem with the car being inoperable for some period of time. The information in the link seems to say you can't have any access to the car during the update. It appears you cant even unlock it if it was locked when the update starts.

I would think this would be disclosed in big bold letters when we bought it.
Interesting. I wonder what would happen if you just got in and hit start mid update.

I imagine you could just leave automatic updates turned off, and only run a check when you know you won't need the car for a little bit.

acbaldwi`

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep Wrangle, 2005 for Explorer, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What version are 2021s supposed to be on anyway?
yeah mine is on 1.90 i understand 2022 have alexa instead of ford assistant..... oddly enough we actually want alexa lol whatare you on?
Sponsored