Sponsored

How to read Pitch and Roll display / menu?

kylearmani

Base
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC yukon denali
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hey all! I just got my bronco last month (finally after waiting nearly 2 years) and I would like to have a better understanding of the Pitch and Roll meter and how to properly read it (including what numbers should i look out for to indicate when the vehicle is pitching/rolling at a dangerous angle). Can anyone provide me with some tips?

Ford Bronco How to read Pitch and Roll display / menu? E09BFA86-D8A1-4DF6-BA87-E6F7755DAF92
Sponsored

Last edited:

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The upper gauge is the front to rear angle. Going downhill it will show your nose down and a - degree of angle. Uphill, nose up and a + degree of angle.

The lower gauge is the left and right angle.

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I agree it is pretty useless without knowing when it will roll/flip. Tie a strap/winch to the “roll” bar and drive up something til both wheels come off the ground...then ya know.

R.A.N.M.J.

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Top is Pitch.

It's read nose first. So, if your nose is point up at 45* it display that. Furthest I've had mine pitched forward was 51*. Scary business, that.

I made a helpful illustration:

Ford Bronco How to read Pitch and Roll display / menu? ohshit

Bottom is Roll.

It's read like a pendulum. The green line will demonstrate which direction your rolling into and the number will indicate the angle.

Things get dicey past 32* roll in a 2 Door Badlands. I know. From experience.

Edit: Shoot. Everyone got in and answered while I was making that work of art.

bikearch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 camaro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Top is Pitch.

It's read nose first. So, if your nose is point up at 45* it display that. Furthest I've had mine pitched forward was 51*. Scary business, that.

Bottom is Roll.

It's read like a pendulum. The green line will demonstrate which direction your rolling into and the number will indicate the angle.

Stick people are my favorite people!

Sponsored

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Your body is going to feel unsafe before the gauge hits any sort of number that you should be aware of.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Your body is going to feel unsafe before the gauge hits any sort of number that you should be aware of.
Yeah, if you're moving slowly, you'll probably **** your pants before it rolls over. Unless you have some crazy load strapped to the roof.

AZMikeL

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2016 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I can attest that a stock 4dr Bad Lands will do a 30 degree roll without tipping over. It's somewhere past that when it goes over - unfortunately, that one time it did, I wasn't looking at the gauge as I had too much else going on :eek:

I had slipped off the main part of the trail into a rut/ditch and over she started to go. Thankfully, the roll stopped when the passenger rear view was only a couple of inches from the dirt and it reversed and rolled back onto the drivers side wheels. So, no harm done to the Bronco, but I can't say the same for pants!

All in all, regret saying "I don't need the locker for this" as it was rear wheel spin which caused the wheels to slip off the high part and into the ruts.

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Offroadeo they said 30 degrees was the magic number if i remember correctly. Not the number at which point the Bronco rolls, because that’s different for every Bronco based on how it’s built and what weight it has etc…but the point at which fuel pumps, and oil etc can no longer maintain a suction and will fail. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Murfman

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WildTrak, Cyber Orange soft top
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Some of the climbs and descents at Moab are 31*. As was stated before, with roll, you will feel you are going over long before you are actually getting there. With descents, remember, you always keep your wheels pointed in the direction down hill, that way you can drive out of it.

Sponsored

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Offroadeo they said 30 degrees was the magic number if i remember correctly. Not the number at which point the Bronco rolls, because that’s different for every Bronco based on how it’s built and what weight it has etc…but the point at which fuel pumps, and oil etc can no longer maintain a suction and will fail. 🤷🏼‍♂️
That seems like weak #s to me for a 7+ qt oil system. And of course the fuel pump is related to the amount of fuel on board. More than the angle itself. Even pulling a low .71 Gs on the skid pad, on flat ground, the oil will be at more than 30° angle ....just saying.

Mocopo

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 4dr Badsquatch. 22 JLUR-XR.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Some of the climbs and descents at Moab are 31*. As was stated before, with roll, you will feel you are going over long before you are actually getting there. With descents, remember, you always keep your wheels pointed in the direction down hill, that way you can drive out of it.
And if you start to tip forward, lay off the breaks... most people who tip forward its because they panic, hit the brakes, dig the front tires in, and over they go. Let it roll!!!

OP
OP
kylearmani

kylearmani

Base
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC yukon denali
Your Bronco Model
Base
Top is Pitch.

Bottom is Roll.

Thank you for this man! The first day I got the car I went on a little “trail” in the neighborhood and got to 11* and got nervous😂 But I now I know everything is daunting when you are inside the car.

R.A.N.M.J.

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you for this man! The first day I got the car I went on a little “trail” in the neighborhood and got to 11* and got nervous😂 But I now I know everything is daunting when you are inside the car.
You're welcome! I'm sure that photo-realistic depiction really snapped everything into focus. 💪🎨🥇

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The one time I've had the opportunity to drive a Bronco (4-door), I got it up to a roll of 30°. Still felt stable, though my wife and back seat felt like she could just reach out the window and touch the ground.
Sponsored