Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Was this just a how-to or did you actually need to service/upgrade them? I thought you might be upgrading while you were in there but looks like stock parts went back on.
Just a how to! Not much to upgrade, the brakes look very sufficient. And especially if like me you buy the 2 door Base, you get the exact same brakes as the 4 door Wildtrak!
Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Good god... So did they expect everyone to have their brakes done by a ford dealer?
Sure feels like they were trying their best to push us in that direction doesn't it?

Altitude

Badlands
First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Grand Cherokee, 2008 Suzuki B-King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Those who think its an inconvenience to put the Bronco into a maintenance mode before changing brakes have probably never replaced brake shoes in a rusty drum setup. Talk about a PITA!

Lurking4luv

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vw gti, Nissan frontier
Your Bronco Model
Base
this reminds me of the hokey pokey. you put your right foot in............
sheesh! what a pain in the ass just to do your brakes.

Tom_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 FJ40, 2011 X5D, 2019 Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you for the great videos! You've got a great YouTube channel!!

Sponsored

MJ14

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer/22 Bronco OBX/02 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Feels that way for sure. Including replacement of all the fasteners, I'm guessing replacement of front brake pads at the dealer is probably a $300 job.
It’s $200 just for the front brake rotors and pads alone without any labor. Labor looks to be at least 1.5 hours and I’m guessing more like 2. So I’d say you’re looking closer to $500 just for fronts.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

These little hacks are just so odd. I just had to replace the fob in my Escape. Turn ignition off and on 8 times, lock doors with button on armrest, hit button on fob. All within 10 seconds. Wait for weird sounds, done. I wonder what these meetings are like when they decide these steps. Maybe right after the three martinis lunch.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Those who think its an inconvenience to put the Bronco into a maintenance mode before changing brakes have probably never replaced brake shoes in a rusty drum setup. Talk about a PITA!
This^^. Backing off the rear shoes is so much fun on a 15 year old vehicle in the rust belt! And he’s not talking about flat bread!

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Learning to do my own brake job was one of the first things I ever learned how to repair on a car. I was 16 And when they told me what it would cost to have my brakes done (per axle mind you) I was like F that... How hard can it be? The trick was to never take apart both sides at the same time (this was before digital cameras)

Been doing my own breaks ever since.. But it sounds like Ford is trying to change that.
Rule #1, however, and remember it well...
Never ever touch brake pedal while pads/calipers are out of position related to rotors...unless you planned on draining system and rebuilding calipers.

I have changed so many brakes I can't count. Even changed rear brakes on our 535xi when it said to just to find out sensor was dislodged. Never ever hsve I had to do anything different replacing pads other than tell some cars that it was completed.

Oh. And VW, I think it was. Don't use a C clamp to retract caliper, the piston screws in.

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

These little hacks are just so odd. I just had to replace the fob in my Escape. Turn ignition off and on 8 times, lock doors with button on armrest, hit button on fob. All within 10 seconds. Wait for weird sounds, done. I wonder what these meetings are like when they decide these steps. Maybe right after the three martinis lunch.
Same geniuses that put the game controller joysticks on the left. Are all Playstation, xboxes. Designed for lefties or to slowdown play. Or designed in traffic in where left hand gearshift are the norm

mdonathan56

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Bad,2016 Q5 TDI, 2009 Honda Element EX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Rule #1, however, and remember it well...
Never ever touch brake pedal while pads/calipers are out of position related to rotors...unless you planned on draining system and rebuilding calipers.

I have changed so many brakes I can't count. Even changed rear brakes on our 535xi when it said to just to find out sensor was dislodged. Never ever hsve I had to do anything different replacing pads other than tell some cars that it was completed.

Oh. And VW, I think it was. Don't use a C clamp to retract caliper, the piston screws in.
Audis as well, had to buy that tool that grabs the caliper to turn them back in.

K8GTH

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Truthfully the engineering change meetings I've been part of, the reasoning is usually FAR weirder than somebody letting the liquor doing the thinking.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the meeting went something like "The lawyers just paid some settlement to an obsessive compulsive lady who pushed unlock 19 times and sent the fob into programming mode and she lost 4 fingers to frostbite trying to get back into her car, so we gotta make it more complex"

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Does anyone remember when this was simple??? LOL
Sponsored