Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Does anyone remember when this was simple??? LOL
Unfortunately, I do! But, I will say, cars require much less work than before. It’s just much harder now. No points, distributors, plugs, plug wires, mufflers every year anymore!
Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
i hope so. Always hate using old brake pad and c clamp to retract pistons. Just feels strange, lol
The better way is to simply buy a $10 piston retraction tool and open the bleeder valve on the caliper and dump the small amount of fluid into a catch bottle (e.g. like when bleeding the brakes). That procedure eliminates forcing the fluid backwards into the master cylinder/ABS unit.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

The better way is to simply buy a $10 piston retraction tool and open the bleeder valve on the caliper and dump the small amount of fluid into a catch bottle (e.g. like when bleeding the brakes). That procedure eliminates forcing the fluid backwards into the master cylinder/ABS unit.
Ask someone who found out that that clutch slave cylinder and brake master cylinder shared fluid? Too many years of c clamps. Never felt it was a problem before even with ABS. I had it in for an oil change and the tech added fluid on me. Brakes were down to the pad. Your plan would have been better!

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ask someone who found out that that clutch slave cylinder and brake master cylinder shared fluid? Too many years of c clamps. Never felt it was a problem before even with ABS. I had it in for an oil change and the tech added fluid on me. Brakes were down to the pad. Your plan would have been better!
I kid you not, and I've been wrenching on my own cars and motorcycles for over 40 years, I really just figured that out like 10 years ago. I have a full dedicated auto shop too, lift, air tools, the whole bit.

LOL

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I kid you not, and I've been wrenching on my own cars and motorcycles for over 40 years, I really just figured that out like 10 years ago. I have a full dedicated auto shop too, lift, air tools, the whole bit.

LOL
Great, why didn’t you tell me this when you found out! 😎

Sponsored

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

LOL
Same here, maybe just older wrenches!

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Great, why didn’t you tell me this when you found out! 😎
Back in the day, as you know, we had to actually buy a service manual book (OMG REAL paper) for the cars we owned. Chilton's, Bentley, Clymer and the like never suggested the procedure as far as I remember.

KyleQ

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8 Broncos!
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't get what people are complaining about, beyond the maintenance mode it's just a typical brake job. I've never heard or needed to replace fasteners on any brake job - yank everything apart, ensure the slides move freely, clean the clips and slap everything back together.

Parker

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gr Che Overland, Corvette, Tahoe, 46 Chevy 2ton
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
NAPA sells rebuilt calipers with new clips and pads installed - basically a two bolt job once you remove tire. Last I got them was very reasonable (think price of pads and clips from dealer). A great move in snow and salt region.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BudgetBronco

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Those who think its an inconvenience to put the Bronco into a maintenance mode before changing brakes have probably never replaced brake shoes in a rusty drum setup. Talk about a PITA!
100% agree! Compared to replacing brake drum shoes on a 15 year old rust belt Grand Cherokee, the Bronco is a piece of cake!!

OP
OP
BudgetBronco

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

OP
OP
BudgetBronco

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Rule #1, however, and remember it well...
Never ever touch brake pedal while pads/calipers are out of position related to rotors...unless you planned on draining system and rebuilding calipers.

I have changed so many brakes I can't count. Even changed rear brakes on our 535xi when it said to just to find out sensor was dislodged. Never ever hsve I had to do anything different replacing pads other than tell some cars that it was completed.

Oh. And VW, I think it was. Don't use a C clamp to retract caliper, the piston screws in.
Good point. Thankfully, the Bronco calipers do not require turning, they just push in.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I don't get what people are complaining about, beyond the maintenance mode it's just a typical brake job. I've never heard or needed to replace fasteners on any brake job - yank everything apart, ensure the slides move freely, clean the clips and slap everything back together.
Depends on the vehicle but I agree, generally just replace the pads and rotors or drums and shoes. I have had some in the past where the pins would need to be replaced as they were so rusted there wasn’t much left of them.

EliasJr

First Edition
First Name
Elias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Ford f350 SD, 15 Jeep JKU Sahara
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Fortunately, the county where I reside takes used oil for free. I can get a great deal on oil Motorcraft synthetic blend and filters at Walmart. I have a nicely set up garage soil changes are cheap. My family members take advantage of this lol. Brakes as well.
Same here. We can take a max of 5 gallons of used oil to any auto zone, advance auto, oreillys per person per day, at least here in Florida. I also found the same exact motor oil to be way cheaper at Walmart than any auto parts store.
Sponsored