Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

As I read threads from people that have similar purpose for their Bronco as me, I see a lot weighing heavily in favor of looks over performance. I think that is a mistake. While smiling at how nice your build looks in the driveway, and basking in the glow of admirers at the stoplight, on the trail, or on forums is great, you will be spending only 2% of your time in those activities. You'll spend 98% of your time driving it. And some decisions may cause less enjoyment depending on your driving purposes. Highways and pavement? Read on.

One example. People being told to Sasquatch it no matter their vehicle's purpose. People that will be commuting in one or taking long trips say they are worried about the road noise. Yes, aggressive tires and/or 35" tires will be louder. Yes, they will drive a little worse on highways. Why would you suffer through those things just because strangers tell you it looks better? Some responders say "if you are worried about noise, then a Bronco may not be for you..." That's not constructive criticism. A loud vehicle is a pain - always. The radio has to be louder, so you get headaches from both faster. You can't talk as quietly, so you stop talking on trips. Your passengers can't hear what the front is talking about. If you are going to "drive it to work every day and take 2-week family vacations" you don't need giant, loud 35" tires and may regret them. If you are going to go rock crawling or mud bogging on weekends....sure, get them.

Tire tread pattern and compound makes a very big difference in noise. Even in our relatively quiet commuting car, we had to get rid of the factory tires because they were so loud after about a year of wear. The next set? Quiet as a mouse going on 4 years.

Rubber mats with drain plugs? First thing I thought was "that's an open hole to road noise." Do you WANT to hose out your $45,000 vehicle? I'd go for carpeting for noise reduction.

Making the vehicle "dirty" to wind resistance. Every light bar, winch, and add on will become a whistling, roaring noise generator at 70 MPH.

Doors off is going to be great fun and cool. But not going down the highway on long trips. I won't even leave the windows down on my quiet F-150 over 55 MPH....too loud with booming buffeting.

I plan on using my Bronco on long trips, camping vacations, and perhaps some out of country trips. Sitting in a loud truck for 12 hours just so I can pull over the sand dunes in Baja to camp, instead of taking the packed down road 100 yards over, is not a tradeoff I want. 33" tires will be fine 99% of the time, and I'll just bypass the places I need bigger ones 1%.
Sponsored

brocotect

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sorry dude. I get what you're trying to say here but no.

If I want a comfortable, quiet easy road going experience there are a lot of much better options out there.

Im buying an experience here and I want it immersive. So yes I want all the 'bad' that comes with a rugged off road vehicle. Thats what Im paying for.

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great, you made your choice the Bronco is NOT for you, good job.

.... Some responders say "if you are worried about noise, then a Bronco may not be for you..." That's not constructive criticism....
That is extremely good criticism and truthful, that is why it hurts you so much.

Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I always find it interesting that some buy based on what other people think looks good vs what you like and what works for you, not them.

Quiet, 33" S/L tire buyer here as well. I would also like a fixed roof option since I would rarely take the roof off.

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Really, I'm only trying to help, seriously. If you think $45K is a lot and plan only doing road trips then the below vic is a better choice. I'm actually thinking about getting one as a DD since my new job will have me in a city for the next while....

OP
OP

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Wow, 9 replies in what, 3min 42 seconds!? But seriously, I had a 4Runner and loved it, it was under powered, loud, and bouncy. A 1996, we put 260,000 miles on it out west, up Colorado passes, through raging rivers, and never replaced the clutch! I'm just saying, the new Bronco will be hands above those old 4Runners, even with regular tires and shocks. And I'm getting one and will love it. What I'm saying is most people that get the 35" tires will be dealing with poorer performance in their environment (highways, streets), just to look good.

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

As I read threads from people that have similar purpose for their Bronco as me, I see a lot weighing heavily in favor of looks over performance. I think that is a mistake. While smiling at how nice your build looks in the driveway, and basking in the glow of admirers at the stoplight, on the trail, or on forums is great, you will be spending only 2% of your time in those activities. You'll spend 98% of your time driving it. And some decisions may cause less enjoyment depending on your driving purposes. Highways and pavement? Read on.

One example. People being told to Sasquatch it no matter their vehicle's purpose. People that will be commuting in one or taking long trips say they are worried about the road noise. Yes, aggressive tires and/or 35" tires will be louder. Yes, they will drive a little worse on highways. Why would you suffer through those things just because strangers tell you it looks better? Some responders say "if you are worried about noise, then a Bronco may not be for you..." That's not constructive criticism. A loud vehicle is a pain - always. The radio has to be louder, so you get headaches from both faster. You can't talk as quietly, so you stop talking on trips. Your passengers can't hear what the front is talking about. If you are going to "drive it to work every day and take 2-week family vacations" you don't need giant, loud 35" tires and may regret them. If you are going to go rock crawling or mud bogging on weekends....sure, get them.

Tire tread pattern and compound makes a very big difference in noise. Even in our relatively quiet commuting car, we had to get rid of the factory tires because they were so loud after about a year of wear. The next set? Quiet as a mouse going on 4 years.

Rubber mats with drain plugs? First thing I thought was "that's an open hole to road noise." Do you WANT to hose out your $45,000 vehicle? I'd go for carpeting for noise reduction.

Making the vehicle "dirty" to wind resistance. Every light bar, winch, and add on will become a whistling, roaring noise generator at 70 MPH.

Doors off is going to be great fun and cool. But not going down the highway on long trips. I won't even leave the windows down on my quiet F-150 over 55 MPH....too loud with booming buffeting.

I plan on using my Bronco on long trips, camping vacations, and perhaps some out of country trips. Sitting in a loud truck for 12 hours just so I can pull over the sand dunes in Baja to camp, instead of taking the packed down road 100 yards over, is not a tradeoff I want. 33" tires will be fine 99% of the time, and I'll just bypass the places I need bigger ones 1%.
confused with your post...so are you for looks or performance?

-if you’re for looks, then 35s look better. But you want 33s
-If you’re performance, 35s will get you to more places than 33s..

lots of contradicting complaints on your post...but not feeling like dissecting it right now 😂

Sponsored

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
^^^^^^^ With the tread Ford has picked for the "35" inch tire, I really do not see how they will make much noise at all. That tire is full of tread and tiny gaps in between them.

brocotect

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Your Bronco Model
Base
Wow, 9 replies in what, 3min 42 seconds!? But seriously, I had a 4Runner and loved it, it was under powered, loud, and bouncy. A 1996, we put 260,000 miles on it out west, up Colorado passes, through raging rivers, and never replaced the clutch! I'm just saying, the new Bronco will be hands above those old 4Runners, even with regular tires and shocks. And I'm getting one and will love it. What I'm saying is most people that get the 35" tires will be dealing with poorer performance in their environment (highways, streets), just to look good.
But isnt that their perogative?

What's it matter to you?

Not your problem.

imnewtothis

Badlands
First Name
Haramol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yea I want my truck to look damn good.
And yea I want everyone else to think it looks damn good too.

And I think that’s perfectly okay.

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Every car you have been in has drain plugs in the floor. Rubber flooring will drown out road noise better than carpet. If you don’t like wind noise don’t buy a bronco, get a Lexus.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.