Low Hammer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

As I read threads from people that have similar purpose for their Bronco as me, I see a lot weighing heavily in favor of looks over performance. I think that is a mistake. While smiling at how nice your build looks in the driveway, and basking in the glow of admirers at the stoplight, on the trail, or on forums is great, you will be spending only 2% of your time in those activities. You'll spend 98% of your time driving it. And some decisions may cause less enjoyment depending on your driving purposes. Highways and pavement? Read on.

One example. People being told to Sasquatch it no matter their vehicle's purpose. People that will be commuting in one or taking long trips say they are worried about the road noise. Yes, aggressive tires and/or 35" tires will be louder. Yes, they will drive a little worse on highways. Why would you suffer through those things just because strangers tell you it looks better? Some responders say "if you are worried about noise, then a Bronco may not be for you..." That's not constructive criticism. A loud vehicle is a pain - always. The radio has to be louder, so you get headaches from both faster. You can't talk as quietly, so you stop talking on trips. Your passengers can't hear what the front is talking about. If you are going to "drive it to work every day and take 2-week family vacations" you don't need giant, loud 35" tires and may regret them. If you are going to go rock crawling or mud bogging on weekends....sure, get them.

Tire tread pattern and compound makes a very big difference in noise. Even in our relatively quiet commuting car, we had to get rid of the factory tires because they were so loud after about a year of wear. The next set? Quiet as a mouse going on 4 years.

Rubber mats with drain plugs? First thing I thought was "that's an open hole to road noise." Do you WANT to hose out your $45,000 vehicle? I'd go for carpeting for noise reduction.

Making the vehicle "dirty" to wind resistance. Every light bar, winch, and add on will become a whistling, roaring noise generator at 70 MPH.

Doors off is going to be great fun and cool. But not going down the highway on long trips. I won't even leave the windows down on my quiet F-150 over 55 MPH....too loud with booming buffeting.

I plan on using my Bronco on long trips, camping vacations, and perhaps some out of country trips. Sitting in a loud truck for 12 hours just so I can pull over the sand dunes in Baja to camp, instead of taking the packed down road 100 yards over, is not a tradeoff I want. 33" tires will be fine 99% of the time, and I'll just bypass the places I need bigger ones 1%.
I do not think most of the people on this forum are looking for a practical daily driver even though that is what most Broncos will end up being(optimistically). And that is okay.

Some people want a big honking truck to impress their friends at the mall, and whilst I don't really condone such frivolous spending who am I to stop them? I think these are the people you are complaining about. I'm not sure if that's what you are really seeing in threads or what you think you are seeing(a lot of people lie to themselves. Maybe that is you, maybe that is them).

Some people want an off-road specialized vehicle and choose to drive it on-road 95% of the time. I think this is what most of the people complaining to you in this thread want and probably what most of the jeep wrangler crowd are like.

And of course there is the final group that just wants a specialized road legal off road vehicle and actually intend to use it as such. Sounds like fun.

The thing is Ford has already decided on a Bronco themed daily driver car. It's the Bronco sport. Clearly the people posting in this forum are not really all that interested in that and want something more capable. Ignore the criticism. Just do what works for your needs.
Sponsored

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd say who cares.... But so many guys writing essays in here. Jesus.
Ford Bronco How to weigh performance vs aesthetics decisions - noise wtf-what-the-hell

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This forum is fantastic for information and opinions. This forum is also mostly enthusiasts (and an echo chamber).....
"Echo Chamber" is an interesting phrase now-a-days. People use it when they talk about others that do not share their opinion. Just sayin'. My mind wonders sometimes.

Ford makes these in units in a variety of configurations to hopefully appeal to a broader market. What I cannot see is when people buy one type of vehicle and expect characteristics that are not inherit to the design. In 2021 we are truly lucky to have so many choices in what we can buy/drive. I do not know why a person would choose a vehicle and shoehorn in their wants when there are ample other choices out there for them. The Bronco has a roof and doors for weather protection only, let that sink in.

Last edited:

Bronconheimer

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2500 HD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You're preaching to not care what others think while trying real hard to persuade us to care about what you think. Look in the mirror.

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP, it might help to give us better context on what conversation you want out of this thread. Are you looking for advice for how you build your Bronco or are you looking to give advice to others on how you think they should build their Bronco?

Sponsored

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Love it when posters try to tell me what I need, want, gotta have. Enjoy your build and I'll enjoy mine. We are all different. Don't try to put me in your box and tell me what I should spend my money on...

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm well aware of possible noise and a rough ride on pavement. I don't care. I know what I'm getting. Get what makes you happy. I am.

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

"Echo Chamber" is an interesting phrase now-a-days. People use it when they talk about others that do not share their opinion. Just sayin'. My mind wonders sometimes.

Ford makes these in units in a variety of configurations to hopefully appeal to a broader market. What I cannot see is when people buy one type of vehicle and expect characteristics that are not inherit to the design. In 2021 we are truly lucky to have so many choices in what we can buy/drive. I do not know why a person would choose a vehicle and shoehorn in their wants when there are ample other choices out there for them. The Bronco has a roof and doors for weather protection only, let that sink in.
Ok, more if a single orientation to off-roading only hence the enthusiasts.

I do agree though, the Bronco is a rugged truck that can be exposed and is fun. Designed to take a beating and around an "outdoor life". If you want a feature rich, quiet DD there are better options.

I think OP is asking something simple, where is the line from DD to rock crawl. I think the answer is simple too, just not discussed a lot (or frowned upon).

Want a rugged truck and a DD? Get Base/BB/OBX non-SAS.
In-between? Get a BD/BL non-SAS.
Meat-hammer? Make it SAS or WT.
Some comfort features? Go High or Lux, or at least Mid.
Like power? Go 2.7.
Manual or DD? 2.3. Can always tune later.
Want anything listed above? Priority code 99.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I think many are taking issue with @AZshot as he is simply trying to pass on his experience to others.

With a 50% take rate on SAS I believe we will see many posts by new owners, after delivery, saying something like "I wish I had better understood the implications of 35's before I ordered."

I appreciate all members passing on their knowledge as I suspect the experienced offroaders are the minority of the forum membership, the rest of us are wanting to learn from them.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.