First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've had the chance to test drive Broncos 4-5 times since last July. The primary one I've driven is a Big Bend 2.3L with the 10spd. It just turned 1,000 miles yesterday so I have not truly pushed it but one thing I have noticed when driving on the freeway especially above 70mph is that the boost goes up to around 7psi (where light driving in the city may not cause boost at all) and doubles almost instantly when you stab the throttle.

Point being - it has plenty of power ready and available on tap. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
All I can say is the 2.3 and 10 speed are perfectly tuned to give you all you need. When you get on it even a little bit it performs way more than anything else I have owned. For the 4dr OBX, it is a great combo. Never tried the high speed passing gear.

CGCarolinaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Rachel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base (Hubby) 2021 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

She's in no big rush. Her current ride was bought new in 2015 and has barely hit 20k miles. If it was a convertible and rode higher we wouldn't be here, but if my wife wants to be high and topless then by God I'll make sure she gets to be high and topless.
Lol. Let her be high & topless.

ProdigyJKU

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've had the chance to test drive Broncos 4-5 times since last July. The primary one I've driven is a Big Bend 2.3L with the 10spd. It just turned 1,000 miles yesterday so I have not truly pushed it but one thing I have noticed when driving on the freeway especially above 70mph is that the boost goes up to around 7psi (where light driving in the city may not cause boost at all) and doubles almost instantly when you stab the throttle.

Point being - it has plenty of power ready and available on tap. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Only 7psi? Mine see 17psi several times every morning on my way to work. About to add the panda module and take it higher. Waiting for it to get a little warmer out to swap the plugs.

Sponsored

WCP-82

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Who doesn't want to be high and topless?

fitterhappier

Outer Banks
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Anything's gotta be better than my Honda Element. Zero power up top. Not like I'm racing anyone, but it becomes very hard to pass anyone on Texas highways where speed limits vary between 75-85.

OP
OP

StopsForTacoTrucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro. Ram.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Anything's gotta be better than my Honda Element. Zero power up top. Not like I'm racing anyone, but it becomes very hard to pass anyone on Texas highways where speed limits vary between 75-85.
I love Texas highways. Well, once you're away from the cities. Houston and DFW traffic...ick. But yes, a Honda Element isn't exactly setting the bar high. :D

Indy951

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My Porsche is faster than a Bronco.
A Bronco is faster than my motorhome.
My motorhome is faster than my Ebike.

I hope I never confuse which tool is which.

bikearch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 camaro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My wife wants either a Bronco or a Gladiator (but not a Wrangler because...I don't know, you ask her) and we test drove both. Sort of. We were limited to 3 miles on the Bronco mannequin so we couldn't get it on the interstate. The Gladiator was a dog on the 80mph-90mph-80mph passing test. I have hopes that the Ford with the bajillion speed transmission ought to do a bit better, but asking for those with experience. How much seat-o-the-pants do you lose if your wife puts regular gas in it because premium was just too darned pricey.

*I know how octane works, don't need a primer. I also know these aren't built for high speeds. I've got cars made for high speeds, but I'm going to end up driving this thing sometimes too. Old people should drive faster, we've got less time to get there.
The pickup is not bad...quicker than I expect...for reference my last car was a camaro and I use to road race a yamaha r1 with 180hp at the rear....so i do love to go fast.

Sponsored

West1

Base
First Name
DM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base with OBX wheels
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My wife wants either a Bronco or a Gladiator (but not a Wrangler because...I don't know, you ask her) and we test drove both. Sort of. We were limited to 3 miles on the Bronco mannequin so we couldn't get it on the interstate. The Gladiator was a dog on the 80mph-90mph-80mph passing test. I have hopes that the Ford with the bajillion speed transmission ought to do a bit better, but asking for those with experience. How much seat-o-the-pants do you lose if your wife puts regular gas in it because premium was just too darned pricey.

*I know how octane works, don't need a primer. I also know these aren't built for high speeds. I've got cars made for high speeds, but I'm going to end up driving this thing sometimes too. Old people should drive faster, we've got less time to get there.
I own a 2.3 Base 4-door with OBX takeoffs to replace the steelies. I drove a Wrangler for more than 7 years before the Bronco. I am always surprised how much pick up the Bronco has. I hear that wanes some with the bigger tires. But in my opinion the 2.3 is more than adequate for passing or cruising on the highway.

Edit: For what it is worth if I had it to do over again, I would still get the 2.3 over the 2.7.

Last edited:

Hot cheetos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Ranger/2004 Pontiac GTO
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As an old person, I've got better choices when I need to get there fast.
That said, the 2.3 is fine. No one is going to be redlining it, so top end probably means very little. I cruise in 5th gear at 75-80. I suppose one day I may need to see what that 6th gear is all about.
Why would you not use 6th to cruise on the highway….?

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ve driven my 2.3 4dr Sasquatch 1700 miles on the interstate at 75-80. Passing is not an issue, plenty of pedal left at 80.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Why would you not use 6th to cruise on the highway….?

Because the 2.3 doesn't get into the power band until at least 2500rpm. Why would I cruise below that and constantly have to be in boost? I want to be 2600-2800rpm when I'm cruising and have immediate power if I need it. 5th gear is already sufficiently high enough to not even need 6th below 80mph. Who knows though, at 90mph+ I'm sure I'll give it a go.

Oh, if you're thinking MPGs at 80mph, it won't really matter what gear you are in. Drag is far worse on mileage at that point than a few hundred rpms.

Hot cheetos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Ranger/2004 Pontiac GTO
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Because the 2.3 doesn't get into the power band until at least 2500rpm. Why would I cruise below that and constantly have to be in boost? I want to be 2600-2800rpm when I'm cruising and have immediate power if I need it. 5th gear is already sufficiently high enough to not even need 6th below 80mph. Who knows though, at 90mph+ I'm sure I'll give it a go.

Oh, if you're thinking MPGs at 80mph, it won't really matter what gear you are in. Drag is far worse on mileage at that point than a few hundred rpms.
It just doesn’t seem to make much sense being in 5th instead of 6th unless you’re passing someone. Even if it’s a .5 mpg difference there’s zero negative effect of being out of your power range when you are planning on passing anyone
Sponsored