Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It just doesn’t seem to make much sense being in 5th instead of 6th unless you’re passing someone. Even if it’s a .5 mpg difference there’s zero negative effect of being out of your power range when you are planning on passing anyone

Probably comes from the fact I ride a motorcycle more than I drive anything else, but I don't like being on the back side of the power band. If the motor has to be in constant boost just to maintain a cruise speed on a flat road, that's not where I want to be. I'd rather be a couple rpms higher and have enough motor to maintain my speed without having to rely on boost.
I'm not saying you need to drive the way I do. I'm just saying what I prefer. If I've got decent HP and torque available, I'd rather use it than save it.

Most people drive a 4cyl at too low RPMs and complain about power and response. As much as I'd rather have a V8, I have adapted to 4 cylinders and the need for RPMs.

Come to think of it, I don't use 6th gear on either of my motorcycles either. Maybe I just hate 6th gears. Or can't count that high.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Hot cheetos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Ranger/2004 Pontiac GTO
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Probably comes from the fact I ride a motorcycle more than I drive anything else, but I don't like being on the back side of the power band. If the motor has to be in constant boost just to maintain a cruise speed on a flat road, that's not where I want to be. I'd rather be a couple rpms higher and have enough motor to maintain my speed without having to rely on boost.
I'm not saying you need to drive the way I do. I'm just saying what I prefer. If I've got decent HP and torque available, I'd rather use it than save it.

Most people drive a 4cyl at too low RPMs and complain about power and response. As much as I'd rather have a V8, I have adapted to 4 cylinders and the need for RPMs.

Come to think of it, I don't use 6th gear on either of my motorcycles either. Maybe I just hate 6th gears. Or can't count that high.
I guess I will find out what I think once I get mine. I certainly have little experience with small engine turbos. I drove a Saab for a few months back in 2005 (which was auto), otherwise I’ve only had manual N/A V6+s and supercharged V8s so my opinion isn’t very informed with turbo 4s

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I guess I will find out what I think once I get mine. I certainly have little experience with small engine turbos. I drove a Saab for a few months back in 2005 (which was auto), otherwise I’ve only had manual N/A V6+s and supercharged V8s so my opinion isn’t very informed with turbo 4s

I went from built V8s to a Tacoma 4cyl. Talk about a tough learning curve. Now I can wring every bit of those 165 horses out of it, but at a much higher RPM than I ever drove before. Pulling a trailer through the Rockies was what really taught me the value of RPMs in a 4cyl.

Like I said though, I like to be in the power as that's how I am on my bike almost every day. Immediate torque is just so much nicer than a lugging, slushy feeling. I'm sure I'm in the minority on how I drive, and that's OK. I'm getting 20+mpg and almost never in boost. I'm happy with that.

Hope you get yours soon!

Hot cheetos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Ranger/2004 Pontiac GTO
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went from built V8s to a Tacoma 4cyl. Talk about a tough learning curve. Now I can wring every bit of those 165 horses out of it, but at a much higher RPM than I ever drove before. Pulling a trailer through the Rockies was what really taught me the value of RPMs in a 4cyl.

Like I said though, I like to be in the power as that's how I am on my bike almost every day. Immediate torque is just so much nicer than a lugging, slushy feeling. I'm sure I'm in the minority on how I drive, and that's OK. I'm getting 20+mpg and almost never in boost. I'm happy with that.

Hope you get yours soon!
It won’t be for awhile, just ordered on 1/14. Don’t even have official order confirmation email yet. No worries on that, only have 102k on my dd 2008 Ranger. However, regardless of how I drive it, it’ll have much more pop than my 4.0L 5 speed Ranger with 33x12.5x15s that I have to wind out to get any kind of passing speed.

H - 2 CHARLIE

Wildtrak
First Name
CHARLIE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F 150 - E 350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I finally switched to a 2.3 auto sasquatch. I do like drive over the road @ 80 - 83 mph . I hope it won't dog down .

Sponsored

balucipher

Big Bend
First Name
Balu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Premium in the 2.3 makes such a difference. Felt pretty slow on the dealer fill, ran it down to the light and filled up with premium and ever since has run great. Noticeable power increase and I've never thought it was underpowered

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My wife wants either a Bronco or a Gladiator (but not a Wrangler because...I don't know, you ask her) and we test drove both. Sort of. We were limited to 3 miles on the Bronco mannequin so we couldn't get it on the interstate. The Gladiator was a dog on the 80mph-90mph-80mph passing test. I have hopes that the Ford with the bajillion speed transmission ought to do a bit better, but asking for those with experience. How much seat-o-the-pants do you lose if your wife puts regular gas in it because premium was just too darned pricey.

*I know how octane works, don't need a primer. I also know these aren't built for high speeds. I've got cars made for high speeds, but I'm going to end up driving this thing sometimes too. Old people should drive faster, we've got less time to get there.
I haven't driven a bronco with it yet. But even with a bed full of mulch and four grown people in the cab my 19 ranger still had the ability to get up and go.

Its a shockingly strong engine and I honestly enjoy the power levels when driving the Ranger.

OP
OP

StopsForTacoTrucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro. Ram.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My Porsche is faster than a Bronco.
A Bronco is faster than my motorhome.
My motorhome is faster than my Ebike.

I hope I never confuse which tool is which.
Get them confused and you'll have a mess in your Porsche and an appointment to be evaluated for dementia, since probably only the motorhome has a bathroom.

ProdigyJKU

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My Porsche is faster than a Bronco.
A Bronco is faster than my motorhome.
My motorhome is faster than my Ebike.

I hope I never confuse which tool is which.
I wanted the best of both worlds in my Wrangler so I added a oversize single turbo. Awesome sleeper, no one is expecting that kind of noise and acceleration coming from an otherwise plain looking Wrangler.

Stupid fun, but decided it was time for something new after putting over 165k on it. Handling was also somewhat of a handful with that power.

Oneand0

Badlands
First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I got BL 2.3 up to about 95mph, heading from Tahoe to Vegas for off roadeo and didn’t feel the need to go any faster. If I wanted to go fast to Vegas, I would have taking my red Model Y.
Sponsored