How's the top end on the 2.3

StopsForTacoTrucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro. Ram.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My wife wants either a Bronco or a Gladiator (but not a Wrangler because...I don't know, you ask her) and we test drove both. Sort of. We were limited to 3 miles on the Bronco mannequin so we couldn't get it on the interstate. The Gladiator was a dog on the 80mph-90mph-80mph passing test. I have hopes that the Ford with the bajillion speed transmission ought to do a bit better, but asking for those with experience. How much seat-o-the-pants do you lose if your wife puts regular gas in it because premium was just too darned pricey.

*I know how octane works, don't need a primer. I also know these aren't built for high speeds. I've got cars made for high speeds, but I'm going to end up driving this thing sometimes too. Old people should drive faster, we've got less time to get there.
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Honestly you'd probably have to drive it to get a feel for it on your own.

But I'll give my impressions:

I've driven the following, no idea what type of fuel was in either of them... although knowing my buddy it is probably safe to say the Rubicon had 87 octane:
  • 4-door 2.3L Bronco (Big Bend)
  • 4-door 2.7L Bronco (Wildtrak)
  • 4-door V6 3.6L Wrangler Rubicon
  • 2-door 2.0L Wrangler Willys
The 2.3L Bronco and the 2.0L Wrangler were very similar overall. Both had plenty of get-up-and-go when you asked for it. Honestly I was surprised that the 2.0L Wrangler did so well, but that may just be the weight difference between a 2-door and a 4-door vehicle. Or maybe the Wrangler was running premium fuel while the Bronco was running regular or mid-grade. Not sure, I just know if I was buying a Wrangler I would probably get the 2.0L.

The V6 Pentastar did fine, but I wasn't blown away. It had plenty of power overall but it didn't feel nearly as "peppy" and the performance wasn't there when I asked for it. Probably just simply the difference between having a turbo versus a naturally aspirated engine.

The 2.7L obviously felt the best out of all of the them. Although I will say the 2.3L was definitely better off-the-line compared to the 2.7L--it is only once you are moving that the 2.7L feels much better overall.

I have no idea what engine you drove in the Gladiator... but the Bronco 2.3L is definitely a little more spunky than the V6 Pentastar. There isn't an overwhelming difference, it just feels like the 2.3L wakes up a little faster when you ask it to move.

I would still test drive them if you are worried about it though. I didn't test either of them going 80-90 MPH... because... well... honestly I'm not looking to drive what is effectively a brick on wheels faster than 65-70 mph on the interstate. ;)

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

As an old person, I've got better choices when I need to get there fast.
That said, the 2.3 is fine. No one is going to be redlining it, so top end probably means very little. I cruise in 5th gear at 75-80. I suppose one day I may need to see what that 6th gear is all about.

Blaven

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have a '21 gladiator and have test driven a 2 door sas wildtrak. The Bronco is the best of the 2 handling and power wise. But I do like the gladiator for some reason.

CM53119

Badlands
First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'97 Mustang GT Vert, '19 F150 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My wife wants either a Bronco or a Gladiator (but not a Wrangler because...I don't know, you ask her) and we test drove both. Sort of. We were limited to 3 miles on the Bronco mannequin so we couldn't get it on the interstate. The Gladiator was a dog on the 80mph-90mph-80mph passing test. I have hopes that the Ford with the bajillion speed transmission ought to do a bit better, but asking for those with experience. How much seat-o-the-pants do you lose if your wife puts regular gas in it because premium was just too darned pricey.

*I know how octane works, don't need a primer. I also know these aren't built for high speeds. I've got cars made for high speeds, but I'm going to end up driving this thing sometimes too. Old people should drive faster, we've got less time to get there.

driven a few 2.3s with the 10 speed auto (i will be getting the 7 speed), and it had no issues whatsoever. Also drove the 2.3 in the explorer limited and that had more than enough power for passing, with a similar if not same transmission. I would say the 10 speed makes it easy to get out of the way or get power going for this engine. that being said the 2.7 will obviously be a significant improvement.

Sponsored

Dave-O

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150/Mach-E
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

What configuration are you looking for? The 2.3 is gonna make most of its power up high. Probably dose well when passing on the highway.

Lexo52

Big Bend
First Name
Arlexis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have the 2.3 auto on my 4 door Sasquatch. Honestly, been very surprised. It moves surprisingly quick. It's really peppy especially in sports mode. Almost feels like the 2.7 on my f150. So so far iv been happy. It is a giant brick on big wheels after all.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've test driven two 4-door 2.3L/10A Broncos (Base & BD) and one 3.6L/6M Gladiator (Rubi), and I didn't notice too much difference between them. If anything the Gladiator felt a little more powerful, but that may have been because I was always in the right gear and wasn't limited by a modern too-many-speed auto (in default EPA setting before it had a chance to learn what actual people actually want when they actually drive). I liked the interior of the Gladiator better than the interior of the Broncos, but it's not much comparison when one is a $75k (CAD) version and the others are 2/3 that amount. My only real beef with the Gladiator was that there was no dead pedal and you're either resting your left foot funny or eating your throw-out bearing for breakfast. Now if you're going with autos anyways that wouldn't be a problem.

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

dont be cheap, extra $6-10 adds 30hp, same money spent gets you 3-5hp tops with a kn filter

I cruise in 5th on the highway, only thing stopping me from hitting 100+ is 5-O

Sponsored

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've test driven two 4-door 2.3L/10A Broncos (Base & BD) and one 3.6L/6M Gladiator (Rubi), and I didn't notice too much difference between them. If anything the Gladiator felt a little more powerful, but that may have been because I was always in the right gear and wasn't limited by a modern too-many-speed auto (in default EPA setting before it had a chance to learn what actual people actually want when they actually drive). I liked the interior of the Gladiator better than the interior of the Broncos, but it's not much comparison when one is a $75k (CAD) version and the others are 2/3 that amount. My only real beef with the Gladiator was that there was no dead pedal and you're either resting your left foot funny or eating your throw-out bearing for breakfast. Now if you're going with autos anyways that wouldn't be a problem.
The dead pedal!!!! Coming from 2 Ram trucks with no dead pedal, I can tell you this is one of the most appreciated convenience’s on my bronco. And for what it’s worth, I drove a 2 door 2.3, and a 4 door 2.7. I bought the larger bronco with the 2.7. Just felt a little bit better to me overall. But at 2700 miles, the best part of my day every day is receiving the Successful Start notification from Ford Pass. No problems so far. Hope it does not change.

OP
OP

StopsForTacoTrucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro. Ram.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As an old person, I've got better choices when I need to get there fast.
Me too, which is why I said " I also know these aren't built for high speeds. I've got cars made for high speeds, but I'm going to end up driving this thing sometimes too. "

And I never *need* to get there fast. I drive fast because it amuses me to do so.

I have a '21 gladiator and have test driven a 2 door sas wildtrak. The Bronco is the best of the 2 handling and power wise. But I do like the gladiator for some reason.
The Gladiator has a certain appealing oddness to it. One of my guys at work has one and likes it. It just isn't for me, but it's up to her and I don't really care except when I get roped into being her driver in her toy.

What configuration are you looking for? The 2.3 is gonna make most of its power up high. Probably dose well when passing on the highway.
She wants the 4 door. No Sasquatch. Probably an Outer Banks. Neither of us will every off road this thing. She just wants a convertible with a higher ride height. Does anyone make a lift kit for, say, an Audi A5?

I have the 2.3 auto on my 4 door Sasquatch. Honestly, been very surprised. It moves surprisingly quick. It's really peppy especially in sports mode. Almost feels like the 2.7 on my f150. So so far iv been happy. It is a giant brick on big wheels after all.

The 2.3L 4dr auto is a pooch on the highway, pretty asthmatic over 60mph, definitely not fun trying to pass anything.
Conflicting reports. I guess it's probably relative. I expect I wouldn't be happy with the 2.7 F150, either.

dont be cheap, extra $6-10 adds 30hp, same money spent gets you 3-5hp tops with a kn filter
Yeah, I know. I also know it took me over a decade to convince her that the extra $3 for the good eggs was worth it. You're free to fly out and convince her. I tell her my opinion once then let her do what she wants. She does the same for me. The rule is if your decision ends up causing a mess the other has to help fix, you have to say "you were right" and the other person gets to say "I told you so" and do the "I was right" dance. I give it even money if she'll put premium in when the owner's manual says it's optional. Her decision making is obviously busted, she married me after all. And continues to seem to be reasonably happy with the arrangement. But I buy the eggs.

OP
OP

StopsForTacoTrucks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro. Ram.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My 4door BD 2.3 Manual has no problem accelerating at 85mph.

You should be pleasantly surprised as long as you have 4.47 or 4.7.
I figured get the highest numerical gears available. It'll be automatic, though. She can allegedly drive a manual, but won't.

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Why someone would want to find the top end on a lifted, square box riding on 35’s is beyond me.
Sponsored