Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Our current Broncos already have a clear GVWR handicap, so bad, that had I known all the details.......

There is NO WAY this chassis could handle the extra weight, AND, who would want to go wheeling with a weight monster like that.

Never gonna happen!
Disagree. It will happen and will be amazing if done correctly. I mean the 4xe rubi weighs over 1k more and is killing it as a hybrid. They can do the same for the Bronco.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Where are you getting 500 lol? The average EV battery weighs about 1,000 pounds. Some batteries weigh more than 2,000 pounds. The heaviest EV battery is the Hummer EV battery, which weighs around 2,923 pounds.

Considering more weight means more battery weight I expect the bronco to be in the 2k class. Lightest bronco build is 4286. Drop 311 for Ecoboost.

Also note the ev hummer weights over 9k, rivian and lightning over 7k. I expect the bronco to be 7-8k minimum.

In summary similar vehicles weight 3k more. That is a lot of change in chassis, weight distribution, suspension, etc. especially for an off road vehicle.

Have a fantastic weekend!
Tell me you don't know the difference between a hybrid and EV without telling me you don't know the difference between a hybrid and EV.
My source was an article - from Motor Trend I believe but don't quite recall - estimating the weight of the Tundra hybrid battery by comparing curb weights of equivalent trims. Again, a hybrid's battery, not an EV's battery.

AlpineDescent

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Where are you getting 500 lol? The average EV battery weighs about 1,000 pounds. Some batteries weigh more than 2,000 pounds. The heaviest EV battery is the Hummer EV battery, which weighs around 2,923 pounds.

Considering more weight means more battery weight I expect the bronco to be in the 2k class. Lightest bronco build is 4286. Drop 311 for Ecoboost.

Also note the ev hummer weights over 9k, rivian and lightning over 7k. I expect the bronco to be 7-8k minimum.

In summary similar vehicles weight 3k more. That is a lot of change in chassis, weight distribution, suspension, etc. especially for an off road vehicle.

Have a fantastic weekend!
Hybrid batteries, which is what this post is about, typically weigh less than 200 lbs. A plug-in hybrid battery may be 2-3 times that weight. All of your examples are EV vehicles, which is completely off-topic.

Sponsored

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I stand corrected,
Tell me you don't know the difference between a hybrid and EV without telling me you don't know the difference between a hybrid and EV.
My source was an article - from Motor Trend I believe but don't quite recall - estimating the weight of the Tundra hybrid battery by comparing curb weights of equivalent trims. Again, a hybrid's battery, not an EV's battery.
I guess I should learn to read the word hybrid. Seeing I called out the 4xe vs EV I think I understand the difference. Did not see your article reference.

Last edited:

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is already a 3.0L Hybrid in the Lincoln line, so it is probably doable in a similar configuration to the 4Xe. As others have mentioned, the current constricts it’s on the IC models will probably delay any similar treatment until 24 or maybe even a refresh 2 or 3 years following that. So, so don’t hold your breath. The Bronco is already 300+ lbs heavier than the Wrangler, so it will be weight challenged too.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
The Wrangler 4xe is a good seller.
The Wrangler 4xe qualifies for the $7500 tax credit. PHEV and EV both qualify.

It makes no sense for Ford to develop something similar next year, given that the order banks are still stuffed, but MY25 maybe.

A traditional hybrid of the Baby Bronco is a given at some point, since Ford already builds the Maverick and Escape hybrids on the same platform.

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Assuming the article is correct, if Ford has bumped a planned 2025 refresh up to MY 2024 (available in later half of 2023) they are going to kill resale values and seriously hamper anyone investing in aftermarket development. Given that 2021 was at best a half model year, that means it will effectively be less than 3 years. Jeep Wrangler aftermarket is largely driven by the numbers on the road and long cycles. The commonality and reliability of those cycles mean that companies stand a much better chance of large sales volume. I'm not sure this is what Ford wants to do if they are into the Bronco long term as a Wrangler competitor. PHEV, that's great, but how about filling the outstanding orders and putting numbers on the road so that it can develop a real aftermarket and broad fanbase?

AlpineDescent

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Assuming the article is correct, if Ford has bumped a planned 2025 refresh up to MY 2024 (available in later half of 2023) they are going to kill resale values and seriously hamper anyone investing in aftermarket development. Given that 2021 was at best a half model year, that means it will effectively be less than 3 years. Jeep Wrangler aftermarket is largely driven by the numbers on the road and long cycles. The commonality and reliability of those cycles mean that companies stand a much better chance of large sales volume. I'm not sure this is what Ford wants to do if they are into the Bronco long term as a Wrangler competitor. PHEV, that's great, but how about filling the outstanding orders and putting numbers on the road so that it can develop a real aftermarket and broad fanbase?
It’s a refresh, not a full redesign - it’s not going to a 7G. As such, it’s not going to effect the after market much nor kill resale value.

Sponsored

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It’s a refresh, not a full redesign - it’s not going to a 7G. As such, it’s not going to effect the after market much nor kill resale value.
I understand it's a refresh, but it definitely affects the commonality of parts between years and is super early. Adding content is one thing, doing a mid-cycle refresh is another. Especially calling it a facelift insinuates visual differences and definitely dates the vehicle. I believe doing it so early in the life cycle is a misstep.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
True, but it also depends on the refresh. Sometimes they miss badly, and that brings up resale on older models.

See 2010 Mustang, it was so ugly that 2009's are far more desirable. The new 2024 'Stang is very decisive because it looks like the love child of a Camero, and I expect a lot of folks to order a 23 instead of getting stuck with the Mustero.

But I agree with everyone else. You don't do a fast refresh on a popular seller. 2025 at the earliest.

Krimzun

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JEEP/JEEP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not interested until Solid State battery tech progresses. With Real world results for trucks like the lighting that can barely get 100 miles on a full charge when pulling a load isn’t going to cut it. Going to need a minimum of 500 max performance miles preferably 1k before adopting anything EV related into the stable. Not interested in a hyrbid thats just a stop gap to the end game.

bronK1TT

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium w/ Performance Pack
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'd literally pre-order tomorrow if it was revealed, though a heck of a lot more so if they had a 4XE competitor (would love the tax credit). Europe is getting the Bronco in 2023 according to some articles, think a hybrid is part of that? I can't imagine the EU wanting to let the Bronco in with their heavy focus on electrification.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'd literally pre-order tomorrow if it was revealed, though a heck of a lot more so if they had a 4XE competitor (would love the tax credit). Europe is getting the Bronco in 2023 according to some articles, think a hybrid is part of that? I can't imagine the EU wanting to let the Bronco in with their heavy focus on electrification.
The Bronco in the EU will be a halo model with less then 10K sold there. it appears that it will be an Outer Banks style model.
Sponsored