Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I can’t believe ford would make a new 3.5 just for a hybrid. If it’s N/A they would have just used the 3.3

so it has to be the Turbo. Meaning it’s going to have 400+ hp and only available at top end trims.
They've been making the 3.5 Duratec (Cyclone) for like 13 years.

Also I think the 3.5 Ecoboost is based on the Duratec 35.
Sponsored

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I just learned something new from this - Ford makes a Cop F-150. That's rad. I really want an Interceptor Utility.

I bet the F150 SSV is one of the ones that gets the hybrid powertrain.

BroncoRevital

Badlands
First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, past; 94 FB, 86 FB, 84 Bronco2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Taking this with a grain of salt but that would be amazing and I’d take that option in a heart beat.
That’s a big hybrid. I can’t imagine Ford would offer it in the Bronco but I suppose we can hope

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don't see the High Output 3.5 EB listed so that may lend some credibility to the thought it may be the EB that's going to be used in the hybrid setup. That means that's what the Raptor will have.

A lot of folks were hoping the Raptor would get the Predator from the GT500 to compete with the TRX.
the YUGE problem with the TRX is that it’s going to weigh nearly 6000lbs with all the weight over the front axel. vs the lighter raptor 5400lbs. The acceleration difference will be marginal

also the last 2 Raptors were not a year 1 launch. They were a year after so who knows. Maybe the 5.2sc raptor is still in the works

Last edited:

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
They've been making the 3.5 Duratec (Cyclone) for like 13 years.

Also I think the 3.5 Ecoboost is based on the Duratec 35.
The 33 Duratec replaced the 35 (nearly identical numbers for the old 35 explorer vs new 33 f150) They stopped making the N/A 35 at the end of 2018. But yes the 35EB is a 35 Duratec turbo. which is why I believe this is a high end trim 420hp+ ~475lbft+ monster

Sponsored

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BHShaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Hybrid for me for sure. Hoping it gets at least 30 miles all electric ?
Totally. We love our Fusion Energi. On our second and if they kill the line she'll move into the eMustang and I'll move into Hybrid/EV Bronco

BoostedBronco

Raptor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
It seems like a stretch to say that engines will be shared between the next gen F-150 and Bronco.

Personally, I would love to own a plug-in hybrid Bronco at launch, but I doubt we will get it. Jeep has already shown off their Wrangler Rubicon Plug-in Hybrid which will be a real production vehicle. All the specs were supposed to be released at an auto show in 2020, but it seems those keep getting coronacancelled.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/01/10/jeep-wrangler-ces-plug-in-4xe/

Toyota also has the 2021 RAV4 Prime coming, with 39 miles of electric only range and 302HP, and Ford has the Escape Plug in Hybrid SUV coming too:

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/toy...-2020-ford-escape-phev-hybrid-suv-comparison/

Last edited:

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I bet that hybrid drivetrain will be shared with Bronco
Maybe, but I'm inclined to agree with this to a degree:

It seems like a stretch to say that engines will be shared between the next gen F-150 and Bronco.
I wouldn't be surprised to see the 2.7L EcoBoost in the Bronco.

I would be surprised, but not disappointed to see the 3.3L NA and 3.0L diesel from the F-150 in the Bronco.

I would be shocked to see the Coyote or either of the 3.5Ls in the Bronco, even in the hybrid.

It looks like ford has plenty of hybrid engine options in their lineup.

The plug-in Fusion uses a 2.0L its hybrid engine.

The Escape uses a 2.5L for its hybrid engine.

The Explorer uses a 3.3L for its hybrid engine.

The C-Max came with 1.0, 1.6, and 2.0L engines.

I also seem to recall folks fawning over a 3.0L hybrid that Lincoln was using, although that may be my mind playing tricks on me.

I think any of those hybrid engines are more likely for the Bronco than the 3.5L they're using in the F150, not because the 3.5L won't fit (I have no idea whether it will or not), but because Ford likes to keep some things exclusive to the F150, and I'd bet that would be one of those things, at least for a while.

Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Maybe, but I'm inclined to agree with this to a degree:

I wouldn't be surprised to see the 2.7L EcoBoost in the Bronco.

I would be surprised, but not disappointed to see the 3.3L NA and 3.0L diesel from the F-150 in the Bronco.

I would be shocked to see the Coyote or either of the 3.5Ls in the Bronco, even in the hybrid.

It looks like ford has plenty of hybrid engine options in their lineup.

The plug-in Fusion uses a 2.0L its hybrid engine.

The Escape uses a 2.5L for its hybrid engine.

The Explorer uses a 3.3L for its hybrid engine.

The C-Max came with 1.0, 1.6, and 2.0L engines.

I also seem to recall folks fawning over a 3.0L hybrid that Lincoln was using, although that may be my mind playing tricks on me.

I think any of those hybrid engines are more likely for the Bronco than the 3.5L they're using in the F150, not because the 3.5L won't fit (I have no idea whether it will or not), but because Ford likes to keep some things exclusive to the F150, and I'd bet that would be one of those things, at least for a while.
the 3.5 WOULD fit if it was just N/A but 3.5TT hybrid. No chance. Turbos add a lot. then a hybrid? For get it.
Yes the Lincoln has the 3.0TT hybrid.

if the bronco gets a hybrid l, odds are it will be the 3.3 n/a hybrid from the explorer. 320hp/320lbft. Perfect slight upgrade over the 2.3.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
the 3.5 WOULD fit if it was just N/A but 3.5TT hybrid. No chance. Turbos add a lot. then a hybrid? For get it.
If doing hybrid, I'd prefer it be street/mild offroad oriented with rear 2WD, and electric motor(s) up front. Use the weight saved from no TC for a longer all electric range....... 80-100 miles would be
about 90% of our trips (elder parents being 45 miles one way). I would not buy that version for an offroader, but would consider it to replace our escape for the woman.

DrPerez007

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep TJ; 2015 Dodge Charger (work); 2016 Jeep JKU; 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat; 2019 Jeep JLU
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I just learned something new from this - Ford makes a Cop F-150. That's rad. I really want an Interceptor Utility.

I bet the F150 SSV is one of the ones that gets the hybrid powertrain.
Ford does in fact make two special F150s for public safety. One is the F150 Responder (pursuit rated for active law enforcement patrol and comes standard with the FX4 Off-Road Package) and the F150 SSV (Special Service Vehicle; non-pursuit specs but still used by public-safety agencies for various emergency and non-emergency purposes). Neither is currently a hybrid. I can tell you from experience, the F150 SSV is quick. Given Ford’s use of hybrid patrol vehicles, I could easily see the SSV shifting to a hybrid, as well.

Here is the current Ford Law Enforcement Fleet Vehicle lineup; you can see the particulars below. As is likely, this will change over the next 12-24 months. NYPD is using, or has ordered, two different pursuit rated hybrid vehicles: the Police Interceptor Utility Hybrid (think Explorer) and the Police Responder Hybrid Sedan (think Fusion). Chicago PD has supposedly ordered 200 of the Interceptor Utility Hybrid vehicles; don’t know if they are on the street yet or not (they are built in Chicago).

It would be fun to see Ford build some type of fleet Bronco. Just saying...

Ford Bronco Hybrid electric Bronco engine previewed by revealed 2021 F-150 engine lineup? 6D2733E1-5EE9-423A-8868-0AA2E18F5BCB
Sponsored

Last edited: