Sponsored

I’m not a Jeep Wrangler person. How will Bronco ride quality compare?

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. :ROFLMAO:

People are going to be amazed how well the Bronco drives, but admittedly it doesn't have that high a bar to beat.
It wasn't the best driving car I've ever tried, but people make it seem like they are hard to keep on the highway, similar to what the OP described about his experience. I found it to be "fine". The overall package is not something I would buy though, which is why I've avoided Wranglers for so long.
Sponsored

chownd

Outer Banks
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
To see what a brand new vehicle drives like you test drove a modified, 8 year old vehicle with an entirely different suspension set up?

Was that just because it was there and you could for S's and G's? Otherwise my therapist would probably define that as self sabotaging behavior.

Go drive a new one to start. The bronco will only be better behaved on road than that. Try a new ranger too which will likely be closer than the wrangler i think.

If you haven't ordered yet, find a dealer who will do very little down or make sure it's refundable. If you don't like it when it comes in, feel free to walk. You'll probably make the dealer fairly happy. They'll sell it for a sweet profit and you'll make someone without a reservation and deep pockets ecstatic. Best of luck my friend

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've owned 4 cars/trucks and have rented dozens of cars (a lot of them 'premium' rentals - Cadillac, Lincoln, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Chrysler 300, etc), and I will take the ride & handling of my 2-door 6-speed manual Sahara with its stock 18" wheels with P255's any day. And that's for around town or a road trip. I don't know how the 4-doors handle, but my 2-door has the point-and-shoot handling of a sports car (albeit a heavy sports car), without beating you to death on less-than-ideal streets & highways. And if a late-model 2-door Jeep rides or handles poorly, something's amiss.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ifs in the front and live axle in the back will feel a bit like a truck.

Considering how my Ram is, it'll be fun, just won't have the same agility around turns with it's smuler wheelbase, though also lighter and faster

mjcutri

Heritage
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco HE
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

The bronco will be way nicer to drive on the road.

While a lot of the focus between the way a wrangler drives/rides and a bronco has been different front suspensions, it is the recirculating ball steering of the jeep vs the rack & pinion steering of the bronco that will actually make a bigger difference to most drivers in on-road feel.

I drove a brand new (less than 20 miles on it) 4-door JL in sept 2019 for a few days and the steering feel was absolutely atrocious. No exaggeration, I had to actively steer just to keep the jeep driving straight.

Definitely recommend test driving a new ranger to get a better idea of how the bronco will ride. They share the same platform.

Sponsored

PartyMarty

Black Diamond
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Black Bear, 2009 VW Rabbit
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We have a 2016 wrangler with 104k miles (32” tires and stock suspension though), and it handles just fine at highway speeds, but gulps gasoline at interstate speeds. Just did a 1500 mile road trip to the mountains in it last week and it was fine (averaged about 17.5 mpg averaging 78 mph though).

sounds like you just drove a bad wrangler. If wranglers are supposed to handle like garbage compared to the bronco,then this Bronco will feel like a new Escalade to me.

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Go to the Jeep dealer and drive a new one, sounds like you drove one that had been rode hard and put away wet.
This. I have had 2 wranglers and they were lifted and in 35s and fine and not like what you experienced. But I do expect the Bronco to be way better on the road.

BigMike949

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I test drove yesterday a used 2013 Jeep Wrangler with 100k miles, lifted slightly with off road tires. Tire pressure light came on once leaving the parking lo. To say it was jittery and all over the highway was an understatement. It was actually scary anyone would want to drive that. Will a Ford Bronco base model with street tires be any better in terms of ride quality on the road? Would it ride better? Fyi, I’m more of a sport sedan person, so this is a whole new world to me.

I have had three jeeps, this stock has Independant front suspension with better quality stock shocks and it’s not solid axle.. I live my Jeep. It it’s a racing tractor.. this will ride more like a 4Runner stuff but with good road manners

MyATV

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

M&M Beer

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge-F-150 Supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I test drove yesterday a used 2013 Jeep Wrangler with 100k miles, lifted slightly with off road tires. Tire pressure light came on once leaving the parking lo. To say it was jittery and all over the highway was an understatement. It was actually scary anyone would want to drive that. Will a Ford Bronco base model with street tires be any better in terms of ride quality on the road? Would it ride better? Fyi, I’m more of a sport sedan person, so this is a whole new world to me.
My sons own Jeep’s and FJ’s the ride is loud and bumpy. It’s from tire noise and stiff suspension. But when your into 4x4 as much as they do they like it. Both vehicles are daily drivers. In Michigan you need 4x4 year round. They love their 4x4 so I would expect the Bronco to ride purity close to the same as those vehicles.

Sponsored

That_Hal

Badlands
First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 and Volvo S90
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Go to YouTube pull up king of the hammer videos and you will hear a bunch of Jeep people getting test drives laughing out loud because they are blown away...
I think Jeep legitimately needs to be concerned when they are start getting the comparison videos out. They are going to have to do real updates not just a battery and useless 392 engine.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just wait it out gang broncos littering the used car lot because the dont handle well ,hope all the cool mods are already done👍

Khayze427

Badlands
First Name
Hayes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I didn't read any of the other replies. Well, yes. Generations of Jeep owners have dealt with all of the normal "Jeep issues" which present themselves on the road. Totally normal and you get used to it. It's even charming, after a fashion. Mostly.

I have an order in for a Badlands, Sasquatch, Lux. I expect the Bronco to be a bit more gentlemanly given its intended audience and application. Sure, it will be a pretty good wheeler and a very good daily driver which will easily handle anything you'd ever encounter on a paved or dirt road.

The reason the Jeep's manners aren't always so great on the road, particularly those Jeeps which have a lift and have a reasonable amount of mods, is that it's truly built for the off road enthusiast. Most, though not all, of the things you enjoy to make for a pleasant on-road experience do not facilitate hard-core off-road wheeling. That places the Bronco in somewhat of a compromise category which in my view is not a bad thing. It makes the Bronco GREAT for overlanding, good for daily driving, pretty good for rock crawling. What you experienced is the downside of a vehicle built for being bashed against rocks. Some things have gotta give. The highway experience is one of those things.

A new, stock Jeep is pretty good on the road. Handles pretty well, not a lot of bad manners, maybe not the most pleasant experience compared to the sedan. (For what it's worth, my other vehicle is a Jaguar F-Type, so I like extreme vehicles and I also like luxury. I do not begrudge your issues with the Jeep.)

Just remember, if you want a hardcore, badass, off-road vehicle, and you're willing to put the mods in to make it such, do not expect a big plus in the creature comforts category.
After a year of driving my lifted JKU I noticed that my upper body strength had improved.

Last edited:

Fireman Dave

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 2020 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

brunjc2

Base
First Name
Jud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Well if your gonna go there...... A few pictures of my JKU. 4 inch lift with 35 inch Duratracs. Road manners are fairly good but I expect much better out of my Bronco.

Ford Bronco I’m not a Jeep Wrangler person. How will Bronco ride quality compare? 20180614_175140_resized

Ford Bronco I’m not a Jeep Wrangler person. How will Bronco ride quality compare? 20180614_175140_resized

Hey I know that bridge!
Sponsored