Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not trying to start a climate change debate...
So I am stoked about the Bronco. It was the first car in a long time that made me consider swapping out my Subaru. I found a lot of cars recently follow the same bland look and the Bronco checks all the boxes for me from a design standpoint. For practicality reasons I need the 4 door as I am the usual driver of people and stuff for holiday, ski, beach, etc trips. I never forgot that the Bronco being a box on wheels and thus never going to be great on gas but this extended wait time has allowed me to continually contemplate the responsibility of driving said box 45min to work each way on top of trips. I know EVs have their own environmental impacts but it does feel selfish to DD a Bronco while it largely isn't being used off road. Any one else have this internal debate? How are you wrestling with this?
Pretty simple answer to your question… then don’t do it and move on to something else
Sponsored

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I love my bronco so much that I daily drive it about 10 miles every morning on my “commute”. BTW I work from home.

ProudestMonkey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are tradeoffs involved with daily driving a Bronco. However, I've never given this one a second thought.

Cable Guy

Badlands
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's funny, wood pellet power plants are considered "green energy" because they're carbon "neutral" by replanting what they cut down. Clear cutting old growth and replanting new saplings is not what I call "neutral" but it helps people sleep.

A lot of it is "creative" accounting. Nuclear lately is the hot topic in CA and being sold as not CO2 neutral because it's serviced by fossil fuel vehicles... I mean WTF, nothing is by that standard but it's selectively applied.
Agreed. Also, the feel-good-do-nothing carbon offsets companies and wealthy individuals buy so they can sleep at night are maybe the biggest joke ever told/sold to society.

Last edited:

Sponsored

blsbikes2

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
2 ways I look at this, first my V8 Tundra gets 15 MPG on a good day, so the Bronco is an improvement. Second, I am 63, the world is already fucked and sorry next generation but deal with it.

heynow14

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco - BL SAS MT LUX SOFT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Please weigh the below points in this and any other EV vs ICE debate:
  • EV batteries are driving the 'blood mineral' market - PERIOD!
  • EV batteries are akin to nuclear waste in terms of their difficulty to cleanup or recycle
  • ~70% of the electricity generated in the US comes from coal-fired plants - this is something TESLA drivers don't want to talk about

Russ.Gil

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru Impreza 2.5i premium
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I am stoked about the Bronco. It was the first car in a long time that made me consider swapping out my Subaru. I found a lot of cars recently follow the same bland look and the Bronco checks all the boxes for me from a design standpoint. For practicality reasons I need the 4 door as I am the usual driver of people and stuff for holiday, ski, beach, etc trips. I never forgot that the Bronco being a box on wheels and thus never going to be great on gas but this extended wait time has allowed me to continually contemplate the responsibility of driving said box 45min to work each way on top of trips. I know EVs have their own environmental impacts but it does feel selfish to DD a Bronco while it largely isn't being used off road. Any one else have this internal debate? How are you wrestling with this?
"feel selfish"? That's a weird way to feel. Short answer, no. Not at all.

iceless

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I have this same debate. I can accept ~25 mpg or something along those lines but ~20 mpg just is too little for 2022. I was even looking at the wrangler 4xe or wrangler diesel. I decided to wait and see what comes out. I'm pretty sure we'll see a bronco hybrid here before too long and I'm going to try to be one of the first orders for that.

P.S. So Much Salt in this thread! I know OP asked for opinions, but dang people.

Sponsored

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
I daily my 2014 Volt (92k miles) on my daily commute of ~65 miles 4 days a week and to putt around on weekends. I charge at home and free at work. Normally use zero gas.
My wife drives my 2012 Wrangler (36k miles) on her 3 mile commute 2 days a week.
We also use the Wrangler to pull the boat to the lake ~6.5 miles each way, mountain cabin rental trips, fun convertible, etc.

The Bronco I have on order will replace the Wrangler. I am environmentally conscious but am much more conscious of my money (we are both accountants) and the low cost of operation of the Volt has helped me save money, not only on gas but on wear and tear of the Jeep. Wear items like tires are exponentially more expensive for the Wrangler. Although I was not expecting the craziness of used vehicles now, I hope to get a good trade in value on a very low miles Wrangler thanks to dailying the Volt.

Jawbox

Big Bend
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm a little late to the conversation, but for me, I put on maybe 5000 miles a year, so it's not a concern.

If I was daily commuting 20+ miles, I probably wouldn't be going with a Bronco, I'd hold out on either something with 40+ mpg or just go electric. Yes, it's just one part of the budget, but for me it would be out of contention. I think you just have to decide where your priority is. For me, I've got too many other interests to fund.

I know I'm ignoring the climate change question. There are a lot of ways to look at your carbon footprint, the vehicle you drive is one part of that. I think you need to calculate an answer there that fits your values whatever those are.

Last edited:

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If I had a 45 min, each way, commute, I would get the vehicle that would maximize my enjoyment while commuting. My WRX was this vehicle when I commuted.

Use that time to think about finding a new job closer to home. LOL

mspaz789

Wildtrak
First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs