hoss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Subaru driver here and I ordered a Bronco 2 door.

I had the same internal struggle. How can I go down in fuel economy when the rest of the world is going electric??

My subaru averages 28 mpg and the 2 door big bend is going to average 21 mpg. Annually that 7 mpg loss works out to $800 more in fuel cost or about $15 a week.

To get the claimed 21 mpg you have to accept the factory wheels or if you replace them make sure you don't exceed the weight of the original wheels. If you go heavier you will use more fuel.

What does the bronco offer that my subaru doesn't?

My subary doesn't allow me to drive up an incline, the computer says "you can't go there!" It stops the vehicle, engines stays on but it won't drive forward.

A manual transmission subaru might but mine is automatic. I test drove a manual subaru and it was still gutless and that's when I decided I want the 2 door Bronco, and I ordered the manual.

That's my take but I want the 2 door.

If I needed a 4 door I wouldn't get the bronco!
My 2-door Big Bend 2.3 averages better than 21 mpg combined. In all-highway driving it will do just over 25 mpg and go 400 miles on the tank. Not too bad for my tastes.
Sponsored

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That is absolutely not what the report says.
1645738663364.png

Worst case, assuming you're charging the vehicle on the average global grid, the BEV sees a benefit after 146,000km (90,000 miles) - this includes the total life cycle from mining every mineral to disposing of every fluid and battery. If they use the current grid mix from the EU to charge the BEV, you break even at 52,000 miles. My state produces 57% of its power by wind, so I'd be even better off than that.

Unfortunately, any discussion about EVs tends to bring out the Facebook Science Expertsℱ who believe every meme they see on social media about how batteries cost $20,000 to replace and explode on impact like a Pinto or Crown Vic.
fact all the freaking windmills your state has were made in China ..with people burning mega amounts of coal, not to mention the pollution that was caused making them. In addition you can’t recycle old windmills they are useless ..and fall apart fairly quickly for such an expensive item.

‘’we could give up every job in the US, give it to China that have 400 million unemployed and give up every ice vehicle in the USA and it wouldn’t matter. The fact is China and India aren‘t going to stop using gasoline and coal they will have 800 million people using gas vehicles and using electricity via coal....the only difference is you will be peddling a bike to go wash your clothes at the local river.

the idea that electric vehicles (even if they ran on totally clean electricity ..which they won’t) will make a difference in anything is an absolute laugher. It’s not Facebook ..it’s just a global world we live in and the fact that we cant even power 15% of our transportation in the USA with electricity. We dont have the infrastructure, we are shutting down our coal plants and replacing them with nothing but very little wind because it’s not stable and solar that works mainly in dry sunny areas.

‘’saying that I’m all for solar or hydrogen powered homes, not because they are going to put a dent into anything related to the environment, but they are a great way to be self reliant.

2021AreaFiftyOneOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If it really bothers you, lessen your environmental impact in another way to offset it.
Our ‘other car’ is a Mach E that I drive most of the time (my wife now works 100% remote). If it weren’t for that, I may not have purchased the Bronco. It’s a valid concern that a lot of people rightfully have. Both vehicles are equally fun in their own unique way. â˜ș Bronco as a sole daily driver is a tough choice as so many vehicles are getting close to 30mpg. I’m in the minority of Bronco enthusiasts that would buy a hybrid version all day long.

That being said, I wouldn’t trade this 2.7 for anything else.

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m just glad that John Kerry’s fears that he voiced earlier today were unfounded, and that the war in Ukraine is not distracting people from the horrors of climate change. 😂

ScottyScooter

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Toyota MR2
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm very much on the side of buying things for real usage. Consider which vehicles have attributes best suited for how you will for real use the vehicle. And then buy accordingly. That way it makes sense, even if some of those attributes are not most environmental friendly or whatever.

Otherwise think about it, if I asked you to design a vehicle with best properties to drive mostly on pavement, would you design 9" of clearance and 35" tires? To clear what - air, lol. We all have a certain attraction to style, and that's fine. But if you can focus most on what you will actually do with the vehicle, you will avoid making some questionable purchase based too much on image.
I agree with what your saying but also feel that positive attributes provided by the Bronco when used as a daily driver are being overlooked. I wanted to point out that a Bronco that is never taken off road does provide more than just rugged looks that makes the driver feel cool.

You can put the convertible top down, shift your own gears with a proper manual transmission, throw it in 4WD and plow through a blizzard, all while comfortably fitting your whole family in it for the ride. Those are attributes that provides value to drivers who stay on the roads.

Also....yeah I'll admit it; it does make me feel kind of cool when I drive it. :ROFLMAO:

Sponsored

Tunagates

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Not trying to start a climate change debate...
So I am stoked about the Bronco. It was the first car in a long time that made me consider swapping out my Subaru. I found a lot of cars recently follow the same bland look and the Bronco checks all the boxes for me from a design standpoint. For practicality reasons I need the 4 door as I am the usual driver of people and stuff for holiday, ski, beach, etc trips. I never forgot that the Bronco being a box on wheels and thus never going to be great on gas but this extended wait time has allowed me to continually contemplate the responsibility of driving said box 45min to work each way on top of trips. I know EVs have their own environmental impacts but it does feel selfish to DD a Bronco while it largely isn't being used off road. Any one else have this internal debate? How are you wrestling with this?
đŸ€ŁđŸ˜‚â€Š start w the phone you most likely typed this post on, made by SLAVES

Barlos

Base
First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Currently driving a Honda fit with around 35 MPG but IDGAF Im ready to ride those happy smiles !

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
My 2-door Big Bend 2.3 averages better than 21 mpg combined. In all-highway driving it will do just over 25 mpg and go 400 miles on the tank. Not too bad for my tastes.
Manual or automatic?

Now I remember, you have the manual!

I'm hoping to get decent mpg but at the moment I just hoping to get my bronco!

Last edited:

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Man, reading some of the responses makes me want to go eat a big ribeye steak in my V10 Excursion idling.

Sponsored

DogHauler

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Turn your thermostat down to 55F in the winter and disconnect your air conditioning if you are serious about virtue signaling.

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That is absolutely not what the report says.
1645738663364.png

Worst case, assuming you're charging the vehicle on the average global grid, the BEV sees a benefit after 146,000km (90,000 miles) - this includes the total life cycle from mining every mineral to disposing of every fluid and battery. If they use the current grid mix from the EU to charge the BEV, you break even at 52,000 miles. My state produces 57% of its power by wind, so I'd be even better off than that.

Unfortunately, any discussion about EVs tends to bring out the Facebook Science Expertsℱ who believe every meme they see on social media about how batteries cost $20,000 to replace and explode on impact like a Pinto or Crown Vic.
that is what the report says. sorry i rounded up 4000km. but not knowing where every bit of electricity comes and your state probably does produce 57% with wind, but what about other states? other countries? my province only gets 30% from renewable and 60% from nuclear (10% from fossil fuels). so YMMV. worst case you are looking at about 150,000km. best case is about 50,000km if it's pure renewable. still about 2 years of driving an ICE car to see the CO2 emissions equal.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How I feel after reading some of these responses to a simple question:
Ford Bronco I am torn. Bronco vs. Daily Driving a Guzzler massive-iq

My current car gets great mpgs so I'm not looking forward to the gas spent on road trips but I've also been working remote since the pandemic started so I'm not driving as much as I used to. I don't know if having two cars is an option for the OP but it's something to think about.

As others have mentioned this is a fun vehicle. What's that worth to you?

M&M Beer

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge-F-150 Supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Stop drinking the Kool aid. You tell me how a battery that is mined from the ground by large non EV vehicles. Batteries only last 10yrs max then what the battery doesn't just vanish ie batteries setting in land filled, don't get me started on the hazardous materials in the batteries and where do you think the electric that charges your battery comes from. Before anyone says wind or solar check out why CA has roiling brown out. short answer not enough wind and solar to supply demand. My opinion but what do I know

other option in perfect world, my plan if I can wing it financially
Bronco dedicated off road rig
You quote about batteries is not correct they are making EV batteries to be 100% recycled so nothing should end up in the land fill. Take a drive thru Kanas and will you will be amazed at how many turbine wind machines there are. So thing are changing

WClintM

Badlands
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bud I get 21 mpg with my 2.7 SAS..keep you foot out of it lol
I have taken on some road trips. Seems like it’s a windsock after 65. but yeah, I also like the throttle.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.