Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, '02 F-350, 21 Expy, 4 Harleys and a BMW GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm a "Day 2 Reservation Holder", and still IN.

That said, here's what happened: Mrs insisted I get the 4 door Bronco. Grandkid hauling and all.... well, as you know Summer 2021 Delivery became, 2021 Delivery, which for me, since I want a hard top, became "sorry, let's try again in MY22" <well, snap>. Mrs has been dutifully driving a 2002 Grand Cherokee and it is getting a bit long in the tooth. We have another grandson on the way down in SoCal and she's gonna be making some trips. No Bronco in sight.... so...... went to the local-ish Ford Store where I have my Bronco reservation.

First of all, they have a demo unit....

Ford Bronco I bought an Expedition... img_2067-jpe

Ford Bronco I bought an Expedition... img_2069-jpe

But I digress... that's not why we were there. Since grandchild number 6 will be here before my Bronco, for sure.... plan was to factory order a 2021 Explorer. I've got an X-Plan PIN that I know I'm not going to be able to use on the Bronco, so - let's get Mrs an Explorer, order it with the 2nd row bench seat, and get her and the grandkids all set up. Well..... after she sat in the only Explorer they had on the lot (a 2020) she wasn't really too keen on it. We have 4 grandkids on one side of the family that are TALL and getting taller. Sales dude says, "Yea... factory orders.... about 4-6 months to delivery" <yikes!> That doesn't fit the Grandkid v6.0 Release Schedule either....

Hmmmm.... what to do.

Well, they had four 2021 Expeditions on the lot. One of them was optioned EXACTLY like what we were gonna order on the Explorer. MSRP, no ADM, 0% for 36mos.

So, I blew my Bronco savings on a new Expy, and Mrs is delighted! And...... now I can get a 2dr Bronco, which is how God intended Broncos to be. Just got to restart the aggressive Bronco savings plan again.

Little known historical stuff, the Bronco from '66 became the "Big Bronco" in '78 when they built them on the F-150 frame. When the Bronco brand was killed off, the replacement in the Ford line (on a F-150 frame) was the Expedition. So, in a way... I "kinda" got some Bronco bloodline, but..... the really good news is, since I have to redo my order for a 22 Bronco, I can get the 2dr which, as I already mentioned, was how God intended.

So, still in, the golden lining is the 2dr, and Mrs absolutely loves her new land yacht.

Couple Expy pics in the driveway, about 120miles on it:
Ford Bronco I bought an Expedition... img_2070-jpe

Ford Bronco I bought an Expedition... img_2072-jpe

Edit: The story wouldn't be complete without mentioning, Thank You to Joel Smith (sales dude) at Tracy Ford in Tracy, CA. He's been responsive, level headed, and open about the whole Bronco mess. The dealership is mid-sized, I'd call it. Everyone was friendly, no pressure, a real nice car buying experience.

Time from arrival, ogling the Bronco, sitting in the Explorer, selecting and test driving the Expy, deal, finance, wash, fuel fill, out the door was about 2 hrs.

A great experience. Thanks Joel! See ya when I redo my Bronco order!
Sponsored

Last edited:

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Nice new ride.

Correction. The early Broncos were presented in 1965 but were technically 1966 models. The switch from the early ones to the larger body was in 1978. 1977 was still the early style but like 76 had front disc brakes and recessed gas caps with doors.

Moparguy

Outer Banks
First Name
Mansour
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 MX5 GT - 2010 MX5 T
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Congrats on the Expedition and grandkid V6.0, Expedition is one of my true favorite cars, they became expensive with the new model but they are great cars!

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Since I am an old timer like you and was around back then, just a correction: 1977 was the last year of the original bronco and it was in 1978 that the bloating started. OK now to the important stuff. First, great selection on the EXP. Second, I am in SoCal and periodically go to the central coast for family stuff. Are there any good offroading venues up there? I know about the Pismo sand dunes but I was thinking more along the lines of baja type flat dirt type stuff.

OP
OP
TurkeyRun

TurkeyRun

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice new ride.

Correction. The early Broncos were presented in 1965 but were technically 1966 models. The switch from the early ones to the larger body was in 1978. 1977 was still the early style but like 76 had front disc brakes and recessed gas caps with doors.
What's a year between friends... thanks for the catch

Sponsored
OP
OP
TurkeyRun

TurkeyRun

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OK, years in my OP corrected......

OP
OP
TurkeyRun

TurkeyRun

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Since I am an old timer like you and was around back then, just a correction: 1977 was the last year of the original bronco and it was in 1978 that the bloating started. OK now to the important stuff. First, great selection on the EXP. Second, I am in SoCal and periodically go to the central coast for family stuff. Are there any good offroading venues up there? I know about the Pismo sand dunes but I was thinking more along the lines of baja type flat dirt type stuff.
Ya know, all my "wheelin'" with my '68 was rocks/mud in the mid-Atlantic region (Tellico, the Virginias, Smokeys, etc). My '68 was a few years gone when we moved back to CA in 2016. I'm clearly not the one to answer that (sorry).

I mean, obviously there are the National forests up here; El Dorado, Stanislaus, and some OHV parks; Carnegie, Prairie City near Sac. Since I live in the farm lands, lots of dirt roads between orchards (go fast turn left. go fast turn right - haha).

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Technically, the new Bronco can trace it's roots to the Bronco II as it was derived from the new for '83 Ford Ranger, then and now... Both now mid-size.

OP
OP
TurkeyRun

TurkeyRun

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice new ride.

fixed

OP
OP
TurkeyRun

TurkeyRun

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And I should have known that. I had a '78. Black, red interior, got about 6-8MPG and had a front end wobble that was to die for. - ha!
Sponsored