First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
BLUF: My soft top has made a “flag flapping noise” ever since I got it from the dealer due to the dealer installed Rigid light bar messing with the air as it flows over the truck. I moved from Tennessee to Virginia and now can’t get it fixed. Looking for recommendations to get it fixed faster.

So I picked up my Bronco a couple of days before I had to leave. You don’t really notice the noise until you’re going 50+ mph so I didn’t notice it until we were driving to Virginia. Once I was in Virginia I took it to the Ford dealer in Falls Church and they were very nice but basically told me they had no idea why it was happening and said they would look into it. I asked if getting the dealer in Tennessee involved who installed it would help, and they said it would.
So I got the Tennessee dealership in the loop. They were very nice as well, but also confused. I sent them screenshots from a couple forums in here where people had the same issue and got it fixed through the dealer. Initially for the first month or so I was checking in with both dealers about every week. Both said that they were in communication with each other and were emailing ford maintenance and couldn’t do anything until they let them know what to do. It’s now been about three months. I’m getting sick of having to check in on these guys to get anything done. Do y’all have any recommendations for how to fix this issue faster?
Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The problem is the light bar accessory creating turbulence, not the soft top on your vehicle. Either remove or modify the accessory. Some light bars have an air dam modification that minimizes turbulence. You may want to explore that possibility.

OP
OP

rsilvis

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The problem is the light bar accessory creating turbulence, not the soft top on your vehicle. Either remove or modify the accessory. Some light bars have an air dam modification that minimizes turbulence. You may want to explore that possibility.
I know it’s the light bar, I thought I put that in my post. The light bar was a factory option that was installed by the dealer. I know I could spend my own money and try and fix it, but if I did that and messed something up then it would be on me. Especially since I’m not the one who caused the fault I’m the first place I feel like it’s 100% on the dealer to fix their mistake.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know it’s the light bar, I thought I put that in my post. The light bar was a factory option that was installed by the dealer. I know I could spend my own money and try and fix it, but if I did that and messed something up then it would be on me. Especially since I’m not the one who caused the fault I’m the first place I feel like it’s 100% on the dealer to fix their mistake.
I just installed one for a customer that lives in Nashville and told him it's going to make noise. This probably isn't a matter of faulty install by the dealer. You have a pic of the bar installed? Which brackets were used? Does the bar have a plastic strip on the lower half that covers the heat sink? It's possible you got an early version with the wrong bracket or missing trim but it's more likely this is just a characteristic of a bar on the soft top. As you stated, other people are having the same issue and not a one-off outlier.

You probably already know it's going to have to come off to fix the noise. The decision now is do you want to put up with the noise because you need the lighting or like the look or if you take off, how do you get some $$ back.

OP
OP

rsilvis

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I just installed one for a customer that lives in Nashville and told him it's going to make noise. This probably isn't a matter of faulty install by the dealer. You have a pic of the bar installed? Which brackets were used? Does the bar have a plastic strip on the lower half that covers the heat sink? It's possible you got an early version with the wrong bracket or missing trim but it's more likely this is just a characteristic of a bar on the soft top. As you stated, other people are having the same issue and not a one-off outlier.

You probably already know it's going to have to come off to fix the noise. The decision now is do you want to put up with the noise because you need the lighting or like the look or if you take off, how do you get some $$ back.
Fair enough! In the other threads they were saying there are two different brackets, one for a hard top, one for a soft top. Once they put the soft top one on the sound went away. Based off of that I assume it can be fixed, but you may be right!

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So they had the short ones on first then swapped out with the tall? If so, that would make sense.

OP
OP

rsilvis

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So they had the short ones on first then swapped out with the tall? If so, that would make sense.
From my understanding, yes.

OP
OP

rsilvis

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Here’s a photo of the light bar for reference.

A210C2C4-EBEE-4F1C-9C35-36B8FF4374DA.jpeg

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yea, that's the wrong set. Should be about 3" taller. There should've been two sets in the box. Short set for hard top, tall for soft.

Sponsored

Who iz

Badlands
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, 4Runner, Jimmy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is has got to be frustrating.
Best way forward I have learned in similar situations:
For your peace of mind-
Spend your money and resolve the situation yourself, essentially we are always on our own.
The dealers are not likely going to be cooperative or helpful.
Truly sorry for your situation.

Flip is correct!

OP
OP

rsilvis

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yea, that's the wrong set. Should be about 3" taller. There should've been two sets in the box. Short set for hard top, tall for soft.
That’s what I thought! I’m not sure why this has been so complicated to get squared away on the dealer end / ford warranty. Seems like a very simple fix.

Butzy

Base
First Name
Butzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 & bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The tall brackets probably got pitched by the original installer. It's on them to rectify the situation. Good luck.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That’s what I thought! I’m not sure why this has been so complicated to get squared away on the dealer end / ford warranty. Seems like a very simple fix.
Someone has the other set of brackets and if for some reason the dealer says otherwise, they can get ahold of their FAD who will get them from Motorsport or Rigid.

22BlackDiamondGreen

Black Diamond
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford 150 1955 Ford F100
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Fair enough! In the other threads they were saying there are two different brackets, one for a hard top, one for a soft top. Once they put the soft top one on the sound went away. Based off of that I assume it can be fixed, but you may be right!
You may need the Taller mounts -- I have tilted mine at 45deg -- it helps a lot
Sponsored