Sponsored

I don't understand why this winch mount solution hasn't been mass produced yet? (video in post)

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Solid point - as Black Diamond I have no front camera. I am beginning to fear that y'all badlands folks might be the reason a solution like this never gets made.

I just think the idea of having to buy an entirely new bumper is insane.
This solution is already produced...by ford no less. They just don't offer it without the $1800 winch attached to it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
SamG

SamG

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No way in hell you are getting an aftermarket bumper with a winch option for $300. This is just crazy talk.
No man, it’s the stock bumper. If you watched the video you’d see it’s just a small piece of metal that comes out from the tow points

OP
OP
SamG

SamG

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This solution is already produced...by ford no less. They just don't offer it without the $1800 winch attached to it.
And that’s the crux of the issue

Ricky_gibbs

Base
First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini countryman
Your Bronco Model
Base

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I was the one that originally posted that video. It is not happening. No one is going to produce a $300 winch extension.

the guy who produced that bumper is talented and prob has several thousand dollars worth of tools.

No man, it’s the stock bumper. If you watched the video you’d see it’s just a small piece of metal that comes out from the tow points

Sponsored

Gangstead

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BD 4DR 7MT Soft
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For those of you who said you'd use a winch but never the camera: I was one of you but I came out of the Off Rodeo thinking the camera would be way more useful. When your are crestng a hill or descending you really can't see anything in front. The one Bronco in our group of 8 with the camera said she had it on in every tight spot and it was very helpful. I now wish I had gotten it on mine.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

OP
OP
SamG

SamG

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I was the one that originally posted that video. It is not happening. No one is going to produce a $300 winch extension.

the guy who produced that bumper is talented and prob has several thousand dollars worth of tools.
Yes - that man IS indeed talented and definitely has several thousands of dollars worth of tools - I mean you can see them in the video.

However, that is not at all related to mass production.

A fairly large machine shop would have this designed in CAD by one of their engineers who is already on salary. The CAD for this for a talented engineer would not take long.

Said machine shop already has all the tools and are using them for different things - those tools have already paid for themselves 10 fold, so when they go to produce this they are not trying to make a large enough margin to cover the cost of the tooling.

really the only unknown variable is the cost of the metal, what kind it is, what gauge, what mill it comes from...etc

I've worked as a buyer, logistician and engineer - making this for around $300/400 for a large company is a cake walk.

Really the big question is - would enough people be interested in it for them to produce it at all?

Shinoko

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Speaking of angry eyes, how long till someone does that to a Bronco? You know it is coming...

Sponsored

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I installed front and rear $10 amazon cameras on my wrangler that I could display on my radio touch screen. Today there are better, higher resolution cameras available. However, my 2015 wrangler has a double din radio that is easily changed out for aftermarket. As of 2018 or so that's no longer possible on jeeps (easily). Ford has been in the business of making radio changeouts damn near impossible for a long time. You could also mount a screen on the dash for a camera when running over stuff, but it's more clutter etc.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Solid point - as Black Diamond I have no front camera. I am beginning to fear that y'all badlands folks might be the reason a solution like this never gets made.

I just think the idea of having to buy an entirely new bumper is insane.
It's basically the same as Ford's mount, just waaaaaaay cheaper. And you'd be able to get whatever winch you want.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe i'm just jaded because I live in a state with only 2 legal off-roading spots (one is a beach), and in my area the nearest note-worthy legally off-roadable area is in another state about a 2 hour drive away. But man do I see a TON of angry eye jeeps with winches in my town, and I've never seen a lick of dirt on any of em.

While I really want to get into off-roading, i think I'm better off buying a come-along rather than be another pretender throwing money at an unused winch.
very true, I see the same here, not so much the dumb angry eyes anymore, but shiny winches with a hoodie that obviously never even once got unspooled and not a scratch or pinstripe on the Jeep. But hey, their money, not my business. They can help someone out of a ditch at the mall.

The ideal winch to me would be somewhere hidden in the engine bay (or even better, be part of the engine!) and all you could see out front is that hole and the hook. And extra lights would be integrated into the mirrors and the window frame and bumper, not a fan of too many do dads sticking on the outside. But if the camel trophy safari look is someone's thing, go for it. Though I'd feel like a poser even if I take it offroad.
Sponsored