Sponsored

I feel gypped by Ford on my cup holders (manual vs auto)

heynow14

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco - BL SAS MT LUX SOFT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The fact that the MT even exists is the thing here, folks. Not sure I could care any less about cupholders or buttons. I hold my 64oz Slushie in my left hand anyway - as any manual driver worth their salt would do. Stop using your cup holder...you'll be a better manual driver as a result.

:ROFLMAO:

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
So my day at the Las Vegas Off-Rodeo was a blast and a great learning experience about the capabilities of the Ford Bronco.

However, I did find out a difference between my manual BL and the automatic BLs we had for the Off-Rodeo regarding the cup holders in the front.

the BLs were 2021 models (they still had the temp readouts on the knobs). The cups holders in the BL I drove had the “fingers” on the inside of the cup holders that helped to keep stuff from rattling around.

61E2215B-0349-440A-9AE8-5B51C5B94255.jpeg

But the cup holders in my manual BL did not have the fingers in the cup holders.

1A8CB183-2800-4F55-BE1F-D57A7C71268B.jpeg

Kinda cheeseball IMHO to not include what can’t be more than $1 worth of plastic and springs for the cup holders in 7-speed Broncos.

Also the whole “layout” of the center console was so much better in the auto than the manual, not just with the cup holders, but also with regard to the window lift buttons and side view mirrors. Basically after sitting in the automatic, it seemed to me like all the ergonomic planning was done for the automatic, and when it came to the manual it was like “oh I guess we can’t do the same layout” so we’ll just shove stuff wherever it fits.

Just like with the tachometer, it’s like the enter console for the manual was an afterthought.
Only solution: Drive your vehicle off a cliff while live casting it to @Ford Motor Company

Suppose you could try one of the thousands of different cupholder options available via the aftermarket, but still, stick to you guns, destroy the vehicle.

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Fourth (maybe) and Sixth (definitely) would be unusable with the AT cup holder layout while holding a tall beverage in the cup holder. Hell, I put my phone in the pocket the wrong way and I’m slamming it while rowing gears. Fingers would’ve been nice, but the ergonomics for shifting were not an afterthought or cheaped out on - the layout is solid for both transmissions IMO. A small price to pay for the correct transmission.

Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
The fact that the MT even exists is the thing here, folks.
If the manual didn't exist, I'd be driving a Taco or another Mustang instead of waiting for Ford to think about building my Bronco.

Ford knows how many MT Mustangs they sell (it's about 50% on GTs and 30% on Eco-boost) . They also know how many MT Wranglers are sold (67% over the past 10 years).

Ford hates building manual transmission vehicles, but without the MT Bronco sales would have been considerably lower, and they knew that going in.

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
If the manual didn't exist, I'd be driving a Taco or another Mustang instead of waiting for Ford to think about building my Bronco.

Ford knows how many MT Mustangs they sell (it's about 50% on GTs and 30% on Eco-boost) . They also know how many MT Wranglers are sold (67% over the past 10 years).

Ford hates building manual transmission vehicles, but without the MT Bronco sales would have been considerably lower, and they knew that going in.
Did you just say 67% of Wranglers are manual? Where'd ya come up with that?

Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Did you just say 67% of Wranglers are manual? Where'd ya come up with that?
That was over the past 10 years, it's been falling fast.

Last few years have been well under 50% at around 35%, with the 2-door being higher and the four door being much lower as one would expect.

Last edited:

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Our local parks department only buys manual transmission Wranglers.

The director does this specifically as a passive methodology of weeding out employeeswho are unwilling to work towards a solution or might be distracted while driving a city vehicle. Think they go through about 20 a year.

If that methodology was extrapolated out across the country, including the many forest services and rangers, federal lands programs and state lands programs, it would be a fantastic number of MT Wranglers sold per year.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
On the flip side, I'm happy that my 2 door, 3 pedal Bronco does NOT have the finger things in the cup holders. I see it as an advantage.
I see that actually having a Bronco as an advantage.

Want to trade? I don't even have a VIN yet. I realize it's a lopsided trade so you can throw in some cash and auxiliary cup holders.
Sponsored