Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hummer fell victim to the GM bankruptcy
You nailed it there. I agree that the H3 was better than just about any other IFS rig, but certainly not because of the IFS. It had a lot of redeeming qualities but the suspension was only mediocre. I had thought about buying one, but in my opinion they are overpriced still. And the interior quality, or quality in general leaves a lot to be desired. I'd take one over an H2 all the live long day though.
Sponsored

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I haven't lifted the skirt on one yet, but I'm surprised I missed the Explorer going back to body-on-frame.
I missed something, but that's not true, the Expedition is BOF but the explorer is unibody. It is however now a north south engine RWD architecture.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I missed something, but that's not true, the Expedition is BOF but the explorer is unibody. It is however now a north south engine RWD architecture.
If they wanted an IFS suv, the upcoming explorer going back to a body on frame design could do that...
Right. I didn't think the Explorer had gone back to BOF, but like I said, I haven't visually verified it for myself - someone made the assertion it was, I didn't want to contradict without facts.

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Truth is this has been done before and it’s failed every time.
Where’s the H3?
Where’s the Xterra?
Where’s the FJ going?
They all had more power, better street driving, and could all beat the wrangler stock vs stock in their comparison tests in some category.
Everyone keeps bringing up these examples, but keeps forgetting about the one thing they ALL had in common that the general public actually cares about...

FIXED ROOFS

Jeep is able to sell a lifestyle not because of it's SFA, but because it's the ONLY vehicle on the market that offers an open air offroad experience. If Ford can nail the removable roof/doors aspect, I think they'll give Jeep a run for their money, regardless of front suspension

John Schricker took out a loan to buy a car in 2017. Then he took out another. And then another.

In two years, the 40-year-old electrician signed up for four auto loans, each time trading in the previous car and rolling the unpaid balance into the next loan. He recently bought a $27,000 Jeep Cherokee with a $45,000 loan from Ally Financial Inc.
Sounds like this guy just needs to go to a financial management course...

People getting in bad financial situations like these is usually no one's fault but their own. If John weren't so obsessed with having the best and the newest, maybe he could've stayed in that first vehicle at least until his loan amount matched the trade-in value so that he wouldn't be going negative on trade-in

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I read where one poster says that buyers would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the drive of an IFS, and the SFA. Being a member of the JL Wrangler forum I don't know that this is really true. First time Jeep buyers are forever asking why there Jeep has a dead spot in the steering, or why does my Jeep wander on the roads. Many times the tire air pressure being too high is the cause of the wander, but the slight amount of play caused by the pitman arm of the SFA is the main reason. Coming from driving a car with IFA with zero play in the wheel to a Jeep with a SFA takes some getting used too, and it's caused FCA a bit of a headache. So much so the company came out with a new steering damper for the JL's in an attempt to appease the masses. Myself, it took a bit to get used to the steering of my JLU, but now it's just second nature. I'm sure Ford has watched this circus, and are making plans accordingly. But, will that lead them to the IFS for a Bronco? Who knows. As I've said I do enjoy my JLU. But if Ford does it right, whichever front suspension they pick, I can be lured back into the fold.

Sponsored

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
On my 2015 wrangler two door, true 33"x10.5" tires rub on the front lower control arms at steering lock on stock offset wheels and a 2.5" lift. If I run offset wheels or 1.5" spacers there's no problem. The tires in particular are 17" 34x10.45 BFG KO2s. They only measure 33" when mounted on the wheel.

20170106_202536.jpg

Fordboi

Badlands
First Name
Cameron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Ford Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This will likely be my last IC vehicle.

And if the Rivian was on sale now and had some proven miles under its belt, or if the Tesla truck comes out swinging...I'd probably buy one of those.

I have 3 vehicles - GTO (with around 650 hp), 94 Wrangler with SOA (8-9 inches of lift after other things are factored in), and a 2013 Tundra...The Rivian or the Tesla will likely outperform all three of those vehicles in the situations I put them in, and I'd never have to pop the hood, such as it is.

So yeah. Electric may not *quite* be there yet...But it's coming like an avalanche and I'm ready with snowshoes on.
obviously before the tesla truck was unvailed

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Tesla is not for me. I don't want a vehicle I can't work on where an OTA update can brick the car in your driveway resulting in a tow to the nearest service center and loss of the vehicle for two weeks or more.

Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Tesla is not for me. I don't want a vehicle I can't work on where an OTA update can brick the car in your driveway resulting in a tow to the nearest service center and loss of the vehicle for two weeks or more.
I'm not so much worried about that stuff while it's new, but I keep my cars in some cases over 30 years
(getting very expensive and difficult to get EEC-IV's now).

Will whatever control system Tesla uses now, even be available in 2050? Maybe it's
easier to just rip the whole thing out and update it later on, than it used to be.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I hear insulting people is a great way to sway their opinion in favor of the argument you're trying to make. You should try that some time.
It is, it's the Italian way /s
Sponsored