Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Coming from "mister midget mobile" who hijacked every thread he could with inane comments, that's rich ...
Sponsored

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
eh, IFS is only good on grey cars. it sucks on anything else.

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco, Galaxie, Ducati Streetfighter V4S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

For the bronco to be successful it needs 2 things.
1. It needs the aftermarket support. Not just for off-road ability but also needs to support the image that the bronco is EQUALLY comparable to the Wrangler. If the aftermarket can’t make the Bronco as capable as modified Wranglers than the image will fade.
2. The actual buyers overall represent a small market that is dominated by the Wrangler. Ford isn’t going to attract an all new audience that will produce the numbers to keep the Bronco alive. Ford has to get Jeep owners to switch.

So even tho the IFS vs SFA always comes up and it’s the same pros vs cons, the argument/discussion won’t ever go away if Ford doesn’t offer a SFA model of Bronco. It just continues on as Ford tries to attract the Wrangler market without it. If we’re divided here you can guarantee the Wrangler market will not even consider a switch.

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So even tho the IFS vs SFA always comes up and it’s the same pros vs cons, the argument/discussion won’t ever go away if Ford doesn’t offer a SFA model of Bronco. It just continues on as Ford tries to attract the Wrangler market without it. If we’re divided here you can guarantee the Wrangler market will not even consider a switch.
I'd disagree with this. We are the enthusiasts that care about the technical details. We are a small subset of the people who buy these vehicles. I guarantee you that the majority of people who buy a wrangler don't buy it because it has a solid axle and scores well in RTI (they probably don't even know what that means), they buy it because of its image, fun factor, and offroad credibility. Yes, for the jeep the solid axle helps provide that offroad credibility because jeep can publicize the images of it scaling big bolders, but if the Bronco can provide the same offroad credibility with IFS (maybe in a different way, like the Raptor does - pictures of a Baja winning Bronco R would go a long way), they may think about switching. The IFS may even end up luring them in when they go for a test drive if it provides a more comfy ride on the road.

SpursFan

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
350r, F150, Expedition, Cayenne and the others.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd disagree with this. We are the enthusiasts that care about the technical details. We are a small subset of the people who buy these vehicles. I guarantee you that the majority of people who buy a wrangler don't buy it because it has a solid axle and scores well in RTI (they probably don't even know what that means), they buy it because of its image, fun factor, and offroad credibility. Yes, for the jeep the solid axle helps provide that offroad credibility because jeep can publicize the images of it scaling big bolders, but if the Bronco can provide the same offroad credibility with IFS (maybe in a different way, like the Raptor does - pictures of a Baja winning Bronco R would go a long way), they may think about switching. The IFS may even end up luring them in when they go for a test drive if it provides a more comfy ride on the road.
/Close post "all questions answered"

Sponsored

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco, Galaxie, Ducati Streetfighter V4S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

/Close post "all questions answered"
Truth is this has been done before and it’s failed every time.
Where’s the H3?
Where’s the Xterra?
Where’s the FJ going?
They all had more power, better street driving, and could all beat the wrangler stock vs stock in their comparison tests in some category.

Cybrrstarr

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don’t get why they would build another desert runner, ford already rules in that category. If they build the Bronco with an IFS they’re only going to take away from their own sales and compete with themselves.......

the raptor

it’s like the 3 bears. Which would you like?
Full size F150?
Mid size ranger?
Smaller Mid Size? Bronco

but they all do the same thing. Lol.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I don’t get why they would build another desert runner, ford already rules in that category. If they build the Bronco with an IFS they’re only going to take away from their own sales and compete with themselves.......

the raptor

it’s like the 3 bears. Which would you like?
Full size F150?
Mid size ranger?
Smaller Mid Size? Bronco

but they all do the same thing. Lol.
They can all do the same things, with varying degrees of success, but are not all the same customer. Different jobs, different tools.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They can all do the same things, with varying degrees of success, but are not all the same customer. Different jobs, different tools.
Sooo ... if you want to go fast poorly, you get the short wheelbase Bronco?

If Ford put the Ranger and F150 Raptors with the same level of modification as purpose built racers in the same event with the Bronco, I think it's pretty clear how that would shake out. Why not aim for something the Bronco is going to be better at than their other offerings, since we can be fairly confident the next Ranger is going to offer a Raptor variant for NA?

Maybe we'll see a Bronco in KOH if racing is how they want to promote it? There are sure to be lots of "Jeeps" at that event they can try to steal a crown back from ...

KOH2020.jpg

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
They can all do the same things, with varying degrees of success, but are not all the same customer.
I think its interesting to note that while the auto world has constricted dramatically in the last 25 years (fewer makers selling fewer different models, and oh by the way, they all look the same), the bookstore magazine rack has literally exploded. I don't know about total circulation, but the number of 'headers' is mind boggling - best example of niche marketing you'll find. And if you flip through varying pubs (canoeing, knitting, weaponry, etc) and glance at the full-page auto ads, you're struck by the fact that auto makers today make Very generic products... that are just packaged/marketed very differently to varying age/interest segments.

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Truth is this has been done before and it’s failed every time.
Where’s the H3?
Where’s the Xterra?
Where’s the FJ going?
They all had more power, better street driving, and could all beat the wrangler stock vs stock in their comparison tests in some category.
So it's interesting you mention that. ALL of the vehicles you mentioned (taking the second gen XTerra for this) were introduced around 2005-2006. Looking at sales figures, all of them were initially quite successful, the XTerra with a more established name actually matching jeep wrangler sales and the other two not all that far behind. However, when the recession came in 2009, all of their sales dropped off (everything was selling poorly, fun, inefficient vehicles especially), and as of 2011 they were all left to either wither on the lots with no updates for a few more years or were discontinued in the case of the H3.

Now, let's look at the 4Runner and the Wrangler. They followed the exact same pattern, selling well in 2005-2007, losing a ton of sales around the recession, and then finally recovering in 2012 up with refreshed or redesigned versions. Both are now selling stronger than ever before. Since around 2015, the market absolutely loves off road focused vehicles. The 4Runner certainly can't match the pure rock crawling capability of the wrangler with its IFS, but it absolutely competes with the wrangler unlimited in the off road SUV space.

I'd be willing to bet that if Nissan introduced an all new XTerra with the same sort of off road capability of the old one, into todays market, it would do very well. The wrangler competitors of 2005-2006 died off because of their timing. Without established nameplates to carry them through, their companies allowed them to die off during the recession. There haven't been any new attempts to make a wrangler competitor since then for us to truly evaluate.
Sponsored