Sponsored

I have my Bronco so need to sell my car; advice on where to privately sale it!

M&M Beer

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge-F-150 Supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have hade great luck selling cars out in front of my house
Sponsored

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Try all of the usual suspects.

Carmax
Carvana
Vroom
Carbuyerusa
Givemethevin

See who gives the best offer. Sometimes you can play one against the other. Be sure to ask questions. Find out exactly how the transaction is done beginning to end. Some will take your vehicle offsite and do an appraisal. Then pay you after that is done. I'm not a big fan of that. I've heard horror stories of appraisals coming back lower than the original quote due to damage. Who knows if the damage was there before they took it or not. I know Carbuyerusa sends someone to you for the appraisal and they pay you before they pick up the vehicle.

Also post it on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I use Autotrader for selling, seaarching and also buying.............

Bscholl8

Base
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I did what @Garemlin said.

When I did this I also went to a couple local dealership websites and had them bid on it. The ball is in your court this time. Make the most out of that Chevy to add more to the Bronco!

My end result was a lot more for a trade in on my Bronco.

Try all of the usual suspects.

Carmax
Carvana
Vroom
Carbuyerusa
Givemethevin

See who gives the best offer. Sometimes you can play one against the other. Be sure to ask questions. Find out exactly how the transaction is done beginning to end. Some will take your vehicle offsite and do an appraisal. Then pay you after that is done. I'm not a big fan of that. I've heard horror stories of appraisals coming back lower than the original quote due to damage. Who knows if the damage was there before they took it or not. I know Carbuyerusa sends someone to you for the appraisal and they pay you before they pick up the vehicle.

Also post it on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Your problem is not with to whom you are selling, it is that the battery pack is likely out of warranty (100/150K miles depending on State). Nobody wants a hybrid or EV with a non-warrantied battery. Replacement costs will total the vehicle.
No it won't.

All this time I thought the Volt was a pure EV....
Electric-driven EV with a gas generator.

There is a particular edge case on the highway where the gas engine can directly drive the wheels, but it's an electric vehicle 99% of the time.

Sponsored

tower9000

Black Diamond
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks for the advice as I was wondering if Craigslist was still good (as I know it use to be). And avoiding time wasters for a high mileage used car is the way to go! I mean if I was going to get $10 to $20K out of it I wouldn't mind entertaining most offers. But that will not be the case for this sale so want to keep inquires to serious offers only.

BTW, I blame GM for not marketing the Volt correctly. When it hit the market, range anxiety was king and they did a poor job of educating the public that it was truly an EV but had a backup plan in case you run out of juice! If you pop the hood, you can see the electric motor beside the gas engine (really generator). We would sometimes go a couple of months without ever using a drop of gas, then take a 1000 mile trip and it would be all we used. Was (and kind of still is) a very unique vehicle.
Have you checked out the Jeep Wrangler 4xE ? It is a plugin-hybrid similar to the Volt.

BennyBronco69

Badlands
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BWM M4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I hope this is okay to post here as it is "kind of" Bronco related since I need to sell my older car it replaces. Funny thing is, I am actually going backwards (as many EV owners would think) since I am replacing an EV car with a Bronco :ROFLMAO: ! That's right, been there and done that with EVs for more than 10 years. Anyway, I know our time with ICE vehicles is limited so wanted to get this Bronco while I still could!

So I need to sell my 2011 Chevy Volt, which is in very good condition but has 144K miles. Original owner and never been in an accident. Recall the original Chevy Volt was actually 2 cars in one; EV first but then would go into a hybrid mode similar to the Prius - was really the best of both worlds).

So what is the best place to privately sell a car these days? I haven't had to sell one in 7 years and with Covid I want to avoid dealing with a bunch of non-serious inquires. I did try Carvana but they were more than 50% under BB value. What are the current trends with Craigslist, FB Marketplace, etc? My other advantage is that I am not in a hurry, which is one reason why I didn't pursue trade in.
I will pimp AlGo al day long.

I sold a car to them for 6k over what anyone else would offer.

Everything is virtual over your cellphone.

They sent a tow truck with a check and picked up my car. Within a week my loan was paid off.

Panmort

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Outer Banks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I will pimp AlGo al day long.

I sold a car to them for 6k over what anyone else would offer.

Everything is virtual over your cellphone.

They sent a tow truck with a check and picked up my car. Within a week my loan was paid off.
I just checked them out and they went even higher than Shift for me on the initial quote.

BennyBronco69

Badlands
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BWM M4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just checked them out and they went even higher than Shift for me on the initial quote.
I have never heard of shift but I got quotes from Vroom, Carvana and someone else. AlGo beat them all. When I sold my car, even with them being higher upfront, I was still able to squeeze and extra 1k from them. All via text.

Panmort

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Outer Banks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have never heard of shift but I got quotes from Vroom, Carvana and someone else. AlGo beat them all. When I sold my car, even with them being higher upfront, I was still able to squeeze and extra 1k from them. All via text.
I only heard of Shift from a post in this thread. I'm waiting to hear back from give me the vin to see how much they'll offer, but so far Algo has the highest initial quote by a good chunk.

Sponsored

BennyBronco69

Badlands
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BWM M4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I only heard of Shift from a post in this thread. I'm waiting to hear back from give me the vin to see how much they'll offer, but so far Algo has the highest initial quote by a good chunk.
Nice. Good luck man. Hope it works out :)

OP
OP
Panzer948

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No it won't.

Electric-driven EV with a gas generator.

There is a particular edge case on the highway where the gas engine can directly drive the wheels, but it's an electric vehicle 99% of the time.
Ha I will agree with your first response (I was about to tell him same thing but more...) and disagree with your 2nd response.

There is never a time where the gas engine drives the wheels. You had it right with your first comment in that it is a generator only. The electric motor is the only source of power to wheels. The gas generator (as that is the best way to understand it) simply sustains the battery but can also be used to warm the battery during extreme cold temps (a huge advantage over straight EVs) and can be forced on (called Mtn mode) to build up additional battery range when going into steep grades. The generators goal is to always keep about an 20% buffer left on battery and putting more charge on the battery before you enter a steep grade helps with that. I only had to do that a couple of times driving on WV Turnpike at some of the steepest sections. I think that might be what you are referring too.

But battery drives electric motor which drives wheels. Doesn't matter if your going 1 or 100 mph.... so many misconceptions about the Volt that it wore me out defending the little car when it was new 11 years ago. If you think there is pushback with EVs now try owing one back then 🤔.. I actually bought it for the new tech, and like being a guinea pig for new ideas. Many on here will not admit to this but this is similar to us early adapters with Bronco.

OP
OP
Panzer948

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Your problem is not with to whom you are selling, it is that the battery pack is likely out of warranty (100/150K miles depending on State). Nobody wants a hybrid or EV with a non-warrantied battery. Replacement costs will total the vehicle.
Well you don't know much about EVs and especially the Volt with that comment. There is still a very good market for used EVs just like there is for used ICE cars. You take your chances with any purchase of a 10 year old vehicle. But one advantage Volt has over standard EVs is that it has a gas generator that can actually run full time if you don't charge battery. Ours in generator mode averages 38 mpg. Not bad for a 11 year old car. Maybe you would like to buy it now 😉
Sponsored