First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond, 1923 Model T Racer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So where are y’all shifting from 1st? I just do what manual says at 3k but it always jerks, and makes that noise. Guess we’ll just have to see. 🥺
Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So where are y’all shifting from 1st? I just do what manual says at 3k but it always jerks, and makes that noise. Guess we’ll just have to see. 🥺
Honestly I have no idea, I've never paid attention to the tach on that shift. I just go by feel. If I had to guess I doubt I'm going much beyond 2500 usually. I'll watch next time and report back.

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I get it up to 3k rpm per owners manual, push in clutch release throttle, shift, release clutch kinda smoothly and not quick cause it’ll usually jerk if you just release clutch, and then give it gas.
So next time you drive try to press the accelerator slightly to match the RPM of what the vehicle will be at after the shift. Usually just a slight press of throttle as you are releasing the clutch as you shift. This will most likely help your issue. So let off accelerator, press clutch in, change gears, blip throttle as clutch is in, release clutch.

OP
OP
Guardian1fox2

Guardian1fox2

Black Diamond
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So next time you drive try to press the accelerator slightly to match the RPM of what the vehicle will be at after the shift. Usually just a slight press of throttle as you are releasing the clutch as you shift. This will most likely help your issue. So let off accelerator, press clutch in, change gears, blip throttle as clutch is in, release clutch.
Man I don’t remember ever having to do this on any of my other vehicles lol even my old 1934 Hudson with a cork clutch!

tasker

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Bronco Sport 351, hydroboost 33's
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

CAN only speak for myself...2200 miles and nothing so far...just wrapped up a 300 mile round trip yesterday with too...

Sponsored

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Finally got video. @Ford Motor Company just in case dealer says it’s normal lol the noise starts as soon as clutch disengages aka pedal is pushed in: (trying to cut down video to fit is hard)
Maybe it is not the clutch or the trans, could it be the rear differential, is there much play in the driveshaft when in neutral?

I have heard this in other cars, it would only occurred in rare driving conditions. (low speed) The car drove for years with it never getting worse.

I really think your transmission is fine and that this noise is not even coming from the transmission.

OP
OP
Guardian1fox2

Guardian1fox2

Black Diamond
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Maybe it is not the clutch or the trans, could it be the rear differential, is there much play in the driveshaft when in neutral?

I have heard this in other cars, it would only occurred in rare driving conditions. (low speed) The car drove for years with it never getting worse.

I really think your transmission is fine and that this noise is not even coming from the transmission.
You know I originally thought this, like it almost sounds like a bad U Joint. Ima crawl under and check it out in neutral like you suggest

nottinbe

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had a similar noise. The part's guy at my dealer has my same Bronco, and didn't have the noise. Replaced the fuel pump under warranty, noticeable difference.

Original thread here.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Honestly I have no idea, I've never paid attention to the tach on that shift. I just go by feel. If I had to guess I doubt I'm going much beyond 2500 usually. I'll watch next time and report back.
I'm learning to go by feel (have had manuals all my life). Cruising around town I shift at about 2500. Getting up to speed getting on a highway or the need to accelerate a bit faster I'll shift about 3000.

I've also tried to shift following the speedometer, 2nd at 20, 3rd at 30,...

What is 6th gear for? I feel it's identical to 5th, maybe 1 tenth of an rpm diff.

Bronco geared so differently than my manual Mitsubishi Lancer. Picked it up Saturday and it's been a learning curve. Fun as all get out though!

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm over 16,000 miles on mine, and it's had somewhat clunky/sloppy shifting the whole time. I've just figured that's how these are. It feels tighter if you shift at higher RPM's, and shift quickly. If you're sloppy, it's sloppy LOL.

My biggest issue with the shifting has always been the detents and how it makes you push harder to get it over into the 5-6 column, sometimes making you miss shifts if you're not thinking about it.

Overall though I'm not really complaining. I know this thing is more like a tractor than a sports car.

Sponsored

HOOTERVILLE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 F150, 15 MALIBU, 07 STREETGLIDE, 22 Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Base
Mine shifts buttery smooth. 1st gear was pretty short, you would need to shift to 2nd almost as soon as you got rolling. I put 37's on and now 1st is perfect. And no noises. I'm in NW Louisiana, if you are close by, you are welcome to look-listen to mine. It's in the shop right now for the "Service charging system soon" warning light but hopefully I'll have it back soon. I don't think you said when you started hearing the noise but I have less than 700 miles on mine.

OP
OP
Guardian1fox2

Guardian1fox2

Black Diamond
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Mine shifts buttery smooth. 1st gear was pretty short, you would need to shift to 2nd almost as soon as you got rolling. I put 37's on and now 1st is perfect. And no noises. I'm in NW Louisiana, if you are close by, you are welcome to look-listen to mine. It's in the shop right now for the "Service charging system soon" warning light but hopefully I'll have it back soon. I don't think you said when you started hearing the noise but I have less than 700 miles on mine.
Where abouts? I’m in Lake Charles but I’ll be heading to AR or OK mid month for a camping/trail riding trip.

HOOTERVILLE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 F150, 15 MALIBU, 07 STREETGLIDE, 22 Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Base
Greenwood. That's right on Interstate 20, just before getting into Texas. Where in AR-OK are you camping?

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
It could be "learning and timing" of the gas pedal- when to release the throttle as you push in the clutch. Some vehicles even have a built in "rev hang" to when you release the throttle it "hangs" before it lets off. I am not sure if the Bronco has this but it's terrible- at least I think so. I have not driven a Bronco manual but have driven and owned so many cars and trucks with manuals. I have to "learn" each one and they are all different. Some are more tricky than others. It could be a defect too, I had one bad manual in one of my TJ Wranglers that clunked so badly when you took your foot off of the gas. But all of my other ones have been good and it was a matter of me learning them.

BigBadBluBronc

Badlands
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 1997 XJ Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm just over 2,500 miles and I haven't noticed any strange noises during shifting. The only quibble I have is that the 4-5 shift is not as smooth as the 2-3 shift. Maybe it's the longish throw? Either way, I'm a big engine braking guy, and downshifting has been pretty much flawless.
Sponsored