Sponsored

DONE! I have re-drilled rear shock mount 2” higher, =more clearance and 2” lift.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Anyone see any issues with repositioned rear lower shock mount bolts???

I plan to drill new holes 2.5” higher up and then reinstall the shocks. This should lift the rear about 2.5 inches. If I like the way it rides, then I'll cut the same 2.5” off the bottom of the ridiculously low shock mounts. Then the clearance will be the same as the trailing bar mounts on the axle itself.

Any thoughts before I get the tools out?
Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Im down with chassis mods. I remember scouring over the bare chassis and seing alot of potential. Post pics of your plan. Maybe use chalk on the layout to show us better.

Reactions: abe

M Redwood

Big Bend
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BB,BASE
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
good luck breaking the rear shock bolt its a large mutha...took 2 of us and an extended handle to get it free....not sure 2.5 inch is gonna work best but seems like a reasonable mod maybe 1.5 or so im thinking.... don't cut the left over hang down off till your sure its a good fit.

M Redwood

Big Bend
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BB,BASE
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
please keep me posted if this works it would be good to get rid of that hang down you described

colintrax

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado, Ford Explorer, KTM 890 ADV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Will the shocks bottom out before the axle hits the bumps or are the bump stops built into the shocks on these?

Keep in mind you'll be changing suspension behavior and likely won't like the outcome.
Also you'll want to lift the front match. 2" should be easily achieved though.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Will the shocks bottom out before the axle hits the bumps or are the bump stops built into the shocks on these?

Keep in mind you'll be changing suspension behavior and likely won't like the outcome.
Also you'll want to lift the front match. 2" should be easily achieved though.
The wheel travel will be the same. Just the ride height will be higher. Similar to a spacer lift. Bump stops are built into the shock.

Yes, obviously I plan to lift the front more as well. Fab-Tec stuff on order....I'm courious if the rear Shock relocation will cause more axle wrap.?

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The wheel travel will be the same. Just the ride height will be higher. Similar to a spacer lift.

Yes, obviously I plan to lift the front more as well. Fab-Tec stuff on order....I'm courious if the rR. Shock relocation will cause more axle wrap.?
It's free and you kill two birds with one stone so that's a winner in my book. Axle wrap is not really a thing with a 4-link but I don't think what you're proposing changes the shock position from axle center line by much anyway?

colintrax

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado, Ford Explorer, KTM 890 ADV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The wheel travel will be the same. Just the ride height will be higher. Similar to a spacer lift.

Yes, obviously I plan to lift the front more as well. Fab-Tec stuff on order....I'm courious if the rR. Shock relocation will cause more axle wrap.?
I'm not talking about effecting wheel travel. I'm asking if the bottom of the shock is moved up 2.5" relative to the axle, will that change how the rear suspension bottoms? Some shocks are designed to be the bottoming resistance, but typically you'll find bump stops. I would assume the Bronco uses bump stops, so I'd would check the shock has ~2.75" of uptravel left when the axle hits the bump stop. If not, don't move the shock lower mount up. Not 2.5" anyways.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The thought had crossed my mind for improving ground clearance but I didn't want the resulting lift, but using a shorter shock would reduce travel.

I wouldn't redrill though, I'd cut off the brackets and use new ones.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m failing to see how you would do what you’re describing? It certainly appears that the upper shocks mount in a strut pocket that’s part of the frame, meaning you’d have to cut out the entire pocket and fabricate a new upper mount. You might want to put down the Dremel…

Ford Bronco DONE! I have re-drilled rear shock mount 2” higher, =more clearance  and 2” lift. AC0E462A-B655-4ED3-B36B-E67DD889A4C9
Ford Bronco DONE! I have re-drilled rear shock mount 2” higher, =more clearance  and 2” lift. CF22BE91-4453-49D8-A8E4-BAA7C1C44B3D

Sponsored

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You are changing the sweep of the arc travel, but any lift does. Concern would be stressing an area that wasn't analyzed or meant to be, but you'll find that out after the fact... Looks marginal.

Ford Bronco DONE! I have re-drilled rear shock mount 2” higher, =more clearance  and 2” lift. Screenshot_20211222-224337

Hey, that says WRANGLER...

Last edited:

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m failing to see how you would do what you’re describing? It certainly appears that the upper shocks mount in a strut pocket that’s part of the frame, meaning you’d have to cut out the entire pocket and fabricate a new upper mount. You might want to put down the Dremel…

AC0E462A-B655-4ED3-B36B-E67DD889A4C9.png
CF22BE91-4453-49D8-A8E4-BAA7C1C44B3D.jpeg
He's talking about the the axle brackets.

dims (1).jpeg

Rusty Sheckelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think this comment goes towards some of the concerns other people have mentioned, but if you move the mount location up 2", perhaps you should also get new shocks that are 2" bigger?

A lot of the lift kits i've seen for my FSB require different shocks, and I'm wondering if moving the mount location produces a similar need for longer shocks.

Full disclosure, I am a fucking noob so if this comment was stupid, please disregard.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think this comment goes towards some of the concerns other people have mentioned, but if you move the mount location up 2", perhaps you should also get new shocks that are 2" bigger?

A lot of the lift kits i've seen for my FSB require different shocks, and I'm wondering if moving the mount location produces a similar need for longer shocks.

Full disclosure, I am a fucking noob so if this comment was stupid, please disregard.
No totally different setup. That would result in a 4" lift.

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Coil-over shocks de-couple the shock travel from the spring travel (change the spring, change the shock due to longer travel length). Instead of adding a taller spring for lift, you relocate the mounting points of the shock/spring system like the Zone and other perch lifts do in increments. Problem is you quickly run out of suspension geometry.
Sponsored

Last edited: