Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands, 23 Lightning Pro, 14 FLD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

…like really, really like it. The clutch is smooth and lightweight but that really didn't matter much with the crawler gear in 4L since you can nearly come to a standstill without killing the engine. But if you do manage to stall, it restarts immediately once you disengage the clutch.

I just got back from a Drive the Bronco event at Hollister Hills SVRA in California where I was able to, for the first time, take a manual transmission Bronco off-road.

This thing is a freaking tractor, I described crawler in 4L as annoyingly slow (but in a good way.) I literally found myself leaning forward in the seat in a sort of anticipation of moving faster.

Hill Start Assist is a nice replacement for using a manual e-brake to hold a vehicle in place on a hill when you release the foot brake to move over to the gas. Nothing to enable the feature beyond being on an incline and having the clutch pressed and brake engaged. Once you lift your right foot from the brake you have three seconds to engage the clutch and throttle up before the magic brakes release. Pressing the clutch and brake again reengages the feature.

I've had a chance to be behind the wheel of both a 2.3/7MT and a 2.7/10A 4-door badlands in off-road environments for at least an hour, Hollister Hills SVRA and Bronco Off-Roadeo in Nevada. And I'm sold on the manual transmission. One of the features that I really enjoyed on the 10A was Trail Control particularly for hill descents. But between engine braking and Hill Descent Control the manual has no problems encountering steep grades. That reminds me, my guide had me take it along a berm until we were at a 25º slant which was not something I would have tried to do with my own Bronco, so that's something (he said he's been up to 27º).

If you're someone that likes to control when their vehicle shifts gears and enjoy finessing the throttle to achieve a more controlled outcome – get the 2.3/7MT. If you want speed, idk wait for the Bronco Raptor 🤷‍♂️
Sponsored

Last edited:

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have the same sentiments coming off of a 2 day Boot Camp at NORA 4x4 in Ellenville, NY. The team was awesome and I really got to know the capabilities of my Bronco. Though, I found I liked 4L in first gear more than crawler - but, perhaps I just need more time with it. I actually stalled a couple of times in crawler - but lurched up and over obstacles in 1st and never stalled once.

Hill Descent worked flawlessly and everyone was impressed/surprised it was available on the MT.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have the same sentiments coming off of a 2 day Boot Camp at NORA 4x4 in Ellenville, NY. The team was awesome and I really got to know the capabilities of my Bronco. Though, I found I liked 4L in first gear more than crawler - but, perhaps I just need more time with it. I actually stalled a couple of times in crawler - but lurched up and over obstacles in 1st and never stalled once.

Hill Descent worked flawlessly and everyone was impressed/surprised it was available on the MT.
Had an F250 Manual. 1st in low range would pull a house down if I could get enough rubber underneath it...

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks for posting. It's good to have an honest assessment of the manual operating off road. Supposedly the big reason to have an automatic is one-pedal driving and trail turn. Of the videos I've seen of trail turn in operation, it seems awfully hard on the drivetrain. In high grip situations on aged drivetrain components, I can it breaking something.

The crawl ratio of 95:1 is so low, throttle modulation must be very effective off road.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Had an F250 Manual. 1st in low range would pull a house down if I could get enough rubber underneath it...
True that. I have a 45 horse diesel 4x4 tractor. In low range in first, it mostly just digs 4 holes in the ground (if you step on the diff lock pedal).

Sponsored
OP
OP
_jeff

_jeff

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Though, I found I liked 4L in first gear more than crawler
I agree for most cases but the ability to have such a crazy ratio is really nice.

one-pedal driving and trail turn
While I do think Trail Turn Assist and One Pedal Drive are cool features and have applications, I don't think I'll miss anything there. Cool features but not things I would actually use much. One Pedal was a bit interesting to get used to and while it could be helpful for beginners it also teaches drivers to rely on the feature instead of using standard two foot and throttle management. Trail Turn makes a lot of noises that are disconcerting to say the least and I don't have a lot of use cases for it personally.

Something else while I'm at it. I wasn't sold on the 360-camera and larger screen that comes with the high package which surprised me because I thought the cameras have shown really well in YouTube videos etc. They weren't bad by any means I just don't like a lot of technology when it comes to driving and even at my 5'7" height (with long legs) I have plenty of visibility once I click the seat up a bit.

I'll be more than satisfied with the standard package on the Badlands.

Trilifter7

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150, 2022 Badlands 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great to hear positive reviews on the 7MT! How was the clutch grab and engagement from a stop? I have an 18’ JLU 6MT and find the clutch engagement to be softer than my liking. I had a 96’ Ranger and it’s MT clutch engagement was very precise and predictable. I could rock the truck back and forth on a hill while keeping the rpm under 1000. I’m Hoping the bronco MT is more like the Ranger

OP
OP
_jeff

_jeff

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great to hear positive reviews on the 7MT! How was the clutch grab and engagement from a stop? I have an 18’ JLU 6MT and find the clutch engagement to be softer than my liking. I had a 96’ Ranger and it’s MT clutch engagement was very precise and predictable. I could rock the truck back and forth on a hill while keeping the rpm under 1000. I’m Hoping the bronco MT is more like the Ranger

I don’t have much experience with the Jeep 6 speed, more Tacoma 5 and 6 speeds but I would describe it as having a light, smooth, and taut engagement. I didn’t really play with the rocking back and forth against a small incline just by modulating the clutch but I think it would perform nicely in that regard.

In my opinion it feels lighter than the Tacoma clutch but with better engagement.

Trilifter7

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150, 2022 Badlands 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don’t have much experience with the Jeep 6 speed, more Tacoma 5 and 6 speeds but I would describe it as having a light, smooth, and taut engagement. I didn’t really play with the rocking back and forth against a small incline just by modulating the clutch but I think it would perform nicely in that regard.

In my opinion it feels lighter than the Tacoma clutch but with better engagement.
Good to hear and thanks for the reply! This makes me more excited to get our MT Bronco now! I love a MT but the Jeeps JLU is just not very precise or consistent. I have tried multiple times rocking it at a stop without braking and it is just too hard to feel the engagement and I always end up over revving to get it to grab or stall it out. It drives me nuts that its not more precise than it is for a modern Transmission.

AlpineDescent

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just test drove a Base with the 7MT, and it was phenomenal. I love that you can just release the clutch in Crawler or 1st without touching the gas and it just smoothly starts rolling. I’ve heard people say that 6th is not very useful, but we found out times down the engine noise quite a bit at 80mph. We are definitely sticking with our Badlands 7MT. Can’t wait.

Sponsored

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Love my 7m, wonder if anyone’s working on stuff like short shifters and whatnot for them as we speak

OP
OP
_jeff

_jeff

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Love my 7m, wonder if anyone’s working on stuff like short shifters and whatnot for them as we speak
Maybe, but they might also be waiting on the numbers to reach a certain point. Personally, I like the throw as it is but I limited experience with it.

My Badlands 7 speed is due at the dealership in the next week. Looking forward to it.
Early Christmas for you *knocks on wood* good luck!

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I hope steeda makes a clutch pedal spring and perch. I loved it on my 18 mustang gt. It increased effort and made for a consistent engagement point.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I hope steeda makes a clutch pedal spring and perch. I loved it on my 18 mustang gt. It increased effort and made for a consistent engagement point.
For standard driving the numbness of the current spring is just “fine”. But when you get into 4 low, it could definitely use some refinement.
Sponsored