I removed my roof panels - once is enough

Richtor

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Tremor 7.3, 21 Badlands Sasquatch Stick(order)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Pics or didn’t happen, gotta Get the wife on board With the no doors, She is apprehensive.
Had my Bronco for 3 weeks. Have not had doors off yet. My 12 JK Rubi.
The other pics are local vehicles I’ve seen. For your wife.
48505387-6619-41EB-83BC-0145246CF1CF.jpeg
57DDDE41-F3CB-4E3F-A289-F80E8CE92EDA.jpeg
60CE58D4-024D-4331-B760-F20A729F8847.jpeg
A9ED7ECA-982A-4FBB-A16B-611BB4182D18.jpeg
Sponsored

Ftchmup

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco, 20 F-250 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Had my Bronco for 3 weeks. Have not had doors off yet. My 12 JK Rubi.
The other pics are local vehicles I’ve seen. For your wife.
Ford Bronco I removed my roof panels - once is enough A9ED7ECA-982A-4FBB-A16B-611BB4182D18
Ford Bronco I removed my roof panels - once is enough A9ED7ECA-982A-4FBB-A16B-611BB4182D18
Nice! I am pumped! Can’t wait till we get our 3 weeks of summer! 😀

S4DDLUP

Wildtrak
First Name
J.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 '94 Bronco, '15 F-Type S, '11 TL, '16 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I take the front 2 panels off of my 4-door any day that I can. I get on the highway and have little to no wind issues...thats just my opinion but I'm wondering if it is more extreme in the 2-door. I've had the full roof off with the front 2 doors off and that was a decent amount more windy but you come to expect that...Don't deprive yourself of the Bronco's hallmark feature! lol.

brentallan4421

Outer Banks
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I HIGHLY recommend taking the entire roof off AND doors for the full experience.
I did the same thing when I got mine (front panels only) and was like "eh, it's ok." But once I took everything off, it was exactly what I expected!
Plus the amount of compliments and "I had no idea the top and doors came off" you will get from other drivers is worth it.
Do you have tube doors to replace the originals? Just curious.

broncoskip

Outer Banks
First Name
Broncoskip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Having owned two Wranglers and 4 Broncos. This complaint thread is just hilarious. These are not convertible Mustangs where you can go "oh it's a nice day, take the top down". Jeep and Bronco top-down choices have always required planning and compromise. It's the life.

My 98 Wrangler, I had to unzip the whole soft top to even git a little bit of sun. it was either up or down. I had half doors, and it all didn't fit into the back. If i was going top down, some of it was going to live at home and I would need to be willing to get wet or cold.

The 2016 Wrangler's hardtop was a little bit less of a footprint than the Bronco's but the same process to remove and store. It's not something I would do on the way home, but rather half off for the day, and maybe keep in the back or leave at home depending on weather.

If you have not owned a big Bronco, you don't even know. Eight bolts, and two people to pull the cap off. Once it was off it stayed off. There were not a lot of soft top options and all of them required sheet metal modification. I drove home one day and it started pouring down rain, and i was fine as long as i kept speed, but had to stop at a red light and got drenched, in a 1984 Bronco with the cap off.

My Hardtop OBX Bronco came in November, and I ordered Sunrider for Hardtop the day I found out it was getting built. This is how I ran my 2016 Wrangler. We had a 70f day in February and I took my front two panels off. It was a pain as expected. I forgot my bag and ended up with one in trunk and one in the back seat. Now I have put my sunrider for hardtop on and have just flipped it back a few times.

Soft top has sunrider built in as well. So the best configuration for my area is either sunrider for hardtop or dual tops if you have a place to store the hard top.

My only complaint, really, is that the sunrider for hard top is jet black. and I know Bestop could offer a color-match to the MIC top. if @bestop if on this site, i am impatiently waiting for a sunrider for 4door that replace all 3 panels.

Sponsored

DaPierogiKid

Outer Banks
First Name
Pawel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Wow, I guess I didn't realize that taking the top was some religious experience. I took my front two panels off on the one nice day here in the midwest. It took a few minutes, drove around up to 70mph..really surprised by the nice breeze and comfort, came home and popped them back on. It was fun and enjoyable. I may have to revalue my thoughts.

Cable Guy

Badlands
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi RS7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bestop doesn’t fold all the way back though.
By design. I prefer it that way. Basically lies flat on the top of the roll bar over the cargo are. Keeps rear visibility intact (such as it is). Also, when I rode in one it was way quieter up and down and much less wind commotion while down.

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That’s not necessarily true. I think there are plenty of people who bought the Bronco despite it having a convertible top, not because of it. I remember a few people stating flat out on this forum that they never plan on removing the top. Ford even teased the idea of making a Bronco with a solid, fixed roof, and I’m sure some folks would buy one. Not many, probably, but you never know…
Buying a fixed roof model makes a lot more sense than buying a convertible and never removing the roof

Sponsored

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Buying a fixed roof model makes a lot more sense than buying a convertible and never removing the roof
Oh, for sure. But when there's not a fixed roof Bronco available, and you really want a Bronco... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sure does! Can you please point us to the list of manual 4x4 SUV's with a fixed roof and the option to get lockers front and rear? Just the top five choices will be fine.

If you want a convertible, there are many choices and just about every single of them is far superior as a convertible than the Bronco. If you are buying Bronco primarily because the roof and doors come off, you have to see that it makes a lot more sense to buy something else (how many folks are going to remove the doors beyond a time or two for the novelty of it?).

I will probably remove the front panels occasionally (essentially a leak and wind noise generating sunroof that takes a long time to open and close), maybe the shell every two years or so just to try it out. So yeah, people's fantasy of opening it up all the time is going to crash head on with reality soon enough. I endure the shitty hardtop for the rest of the vehicle. I am seriously banking on the mod top being available before my build and that is it better then the MIC.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nah, you still have the cage around you, and at least for me, that takes away a good chunk of the open air experience. Most convertibles you're so close to the ground and have half doors, the road is inches away anyway lol

I did doors off my jeep a bunch of times. It was fun the first time, but It's too much of a hassle, in my opinion. Not to mention the severe loss of safety, whether you're offroading, putzing around town, or (please don't) zooming down a highway above 60.

Still an awesome experience in a bronco or jeep, regardless. But if you've never been in a "true" convertible, hop a ride with a friend who has one just to check it out. Jeep/bronco open-air and convertible open-air are very different experiences.
hmm, severe loss of safety? I've been driving off/on road (including highway) without top/doors, since 1989. Somehow I survived. Are people fearful of driving door-less vehicles on the highway? I never gave it a second thought.

I can't speak for the new Bronco, maybe it provides an inferior open air driving experience. But I've driven in regular convertibles, and they don't match my CJ, TJ or Land Rover in terms of overall open air driving. Not to mention the time we drove my CJ-5 from Chicago to the Michigan dunes, with the front windshield also folded down!

Driving on a mountain trail, taking everything in with no top/doors, that's the bomb. I wouldn't get a Bronco or Jeep if the top didn't come off, it's a key functionality separating it from all other 4x4s (in the USA anyway).

BQH2010

Raptor
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma nightshade 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Where do you store the back section?
Hang it from the ceiling in my garage. On my old Jeep before I set up my ceiling mount, I’d keep it on the floor in the garage.

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hang it from the ceiling in my garage. On my old Jeep before I set up my ceiling mount, I’d keep it on the floor in the garage.
That is awesome! I have one for Jeep as well. It is manual but I have been considering a remote controlled winch instead to help lift it and store it.
Sponsored