First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have my choices narrowed down to either 4Runner, Bronco, or Wrangler. In that Order. I have ridden/driven in both the 4Runners and Wranglers. Not the Bronco.

I do have to say after seeing the Bronco in person and all the innovative technology, It makes for a very exciting and capable rig. Unfortunately, all the documented issues with overheating, hard top/rear tailgate rattles, electronic issues, etc, have given a black eye to Fords rollout of this 6th generation model. OTOH, we do have to applaud Ford for working hard to get this out to the motoring public.

I am for sure not going to get this first year "generation 6" model. I have the luxury of waiting a year or 2 and see if Ford and Fiat/Chrysler can catch up to Toyota in the reliability department.

That being said, there is no denying the chassis (similar to Ranger) and motor (2.7 liter V6) of the Bronco are already tried and true. Also the various suspension/wheel configurations and electronic aids for off road are really nice.

The direct injection some like and some don't. I personally like direct injection. With frequent 3,000 mile interval low NOAK synthetic oil changes, Injector cleaning and regular spark plug changes (50,000 mile max), the Ecoboost engines can get upwards to 200,000 miles. My sisters Ford Edge is approaching 200,000 miles with nothing more than an alternator failure.

As far as the chassis, Ford has it right. It's arguably the most durable chassis out there for this segment of vehicles. The various suspension manufacturers are going to have it easy when designing aftermarket for it.

Right now it's wait and see. I will be onboard if Ford get's their act together after this pandemic crud. And if we are honest with ourselves, ALL these manufacturers are struggling (including the Japanese) the last year due to the pandemic and work force fluctuation.

My current 16 year old rig has another 5-10 years left in it and is more than capable for my use until I get a modern 4WD with low range and body on frame.
Sponsored

BennyBronco69

Badlands
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BWM M4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Documented overheating?? There was 1 post.
It's funny how people dont u/s that 1 post about 1 Bronco does not mean it is a widespread issue.

This forum represents a small % of owners and, in most cases, people are more likely to post about their issues then when they dont have them.

Sponsored

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have my choices narrowed down to either 4Runner, Bronco, or Wrangler. In that Order. I have ridden/driven in both the 4Runners and Wranglers. Not the Bronco.

... Unfortunately, all the documented issues with overheating...
You mean that one bronco that arrived with a loose coolant hose?

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
To put things back in perspective, I doubt that other than the Webasto debacle, this roll out is statistically similar to any other. A single complaint here and there is not unusual and not indicative of a failure to have a smooth first year roll out. It is only because we all read and are informed by this centralized clearing house that we are privy to every little gremlin.

OP
OP
ollie

ollie

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Documented overheating?? There was 1 post.
You mean that one bronco that arrived with a loose coolant hose?
It's funny how people dont u/s that 1 post about 1 Bronco does not mean it is a widespread issue.
Actually I was speaking of the at least dozen overheat shutdowns on demo days in Lucern. It was a big buzz my desert racing buddies were talking about at our club meeting. While they were impressed with the Bronco, the short sandy course was having the demos stop on more than a few occasions toward the end of the day due to overheating. To me that is a pretty good indicator of what to expect out of production models.

I have also spoken with my local mechanic and he is also confirming overheat problems with the whole lineup of F150's, Rangers, and Broncos. I am by no means bagging on the rig. Simply my observations looking outside of what some of the the forum members are experiencing.

I recommend to any member of this forum to look outside the threads/posts and do their due diligence by speaking to actual owners (besides themselves), techs, and others who have driven these rigs.

I think it's important to remember when you drive these rigs in off road or other performance oriented conditions, it puts a lot stress on the cooling system.

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Actually I was speaking of the at least dozen overheat shutdowns on demo days in Lucern. It was a big buzz my desert racing buddies were talking about at our club meeting. While they were impressed with the Bronco, the short sandy course was having the demos stop on more than a few occasions toward the end of the day due to overheating. To me that is a pretty good indicator of what to expect out of production models.

I have also spoken with my local mechanic and he is also confirming overheat problems with the whole lineup of F150's, Rangers, and Broncos. I am by no means bagging on the rig. Simply my observations looking outside of what some of the the forum members are experiencing.

I recommend to any member of this forum to look outside the threads/posts and do their due diligence by speaking to actual owners (besides themselves), techs, and others who have driven these rigs.

I think it's important to remember when you drive these rigs in off road or other performance oriented conditions, it puts a lot stress on the cooling system.
I guess my point to that is - WHERE is it documented? Agree on the due diligence, but in that ENTIRE overheating thread, no one once mentioned the demo days issues. I know that's what the forum is for, but dropping that issue like it was common knowledge without the info to help guide people just seemed like speculation or overreaction to the more popularly know overheating thread. I'd be interested to read more about the demo days issues if you had a link to share.

Sponsored

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I guess my point to that is - WHERE is it documented? Agree on the due diligence, but in that ENTIRE overheating thread, no one once mentioned the demo days issues. I know that's what the forum is for, but dropping that issue like it was common knowledge without the info to help guide people just seemed like speculation or overreaction to the more popularly know overheating thread. I'd be interested to read more about the demo days issues if you had a link to share.

It is peculiar that not one adverse heating comment has been forthcoming from the Off-Roadeo paticipants and if I recall correctly Ford had a stock Bronco race the Baja 1000, with no known mechanical problems including but not limited to overheating.

OP
OP
ollie

ollie

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As anyone knows for everything I can document there will be someone who will document something to disprove it. As previously stated I recommend you do your own research and come to your conclusion as I did.

I imagine by the next year or so these bugs will be worked out and addressed.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
For the 80% of owners who will do light off roading, I doubt cooling issues will surface until in later years due to lack of proper cooling system maintenance.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
To put things back in perspective, I doubt that other than the Webasto debacle, this roll out is statistically similar to any other. A single complaint here and there is not unusual and not indicative of a failure to have a smooth first year roll out. It is only because we all read and are informed by this centralized clearing house that we are privy to every little gremlin.
Waiting for the yootube videos of bumpers coming off in heavy rainstorms...
Sponsored