indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
No automatic transmission on the planet adds 600 pounds to a vehicle. Unless you are toting an extra in the bed. Those weights are totally wrong. And since when can you get an F-150 with the 2.3L?

edit: I checked, you are wrong. Automatic adds 20 pounds. You are reading the spec sheet wrong. The approx. 600 lb weight difference is the entire 2-door Bronco model range spread. As in, stripped base all the way up to loaded out 'squatch. 4-door weight range is a little less of a spread, but still significant. Not sure how you can add 600 pounds to the truck with options but we don't really know how Ford got to that number. One could be with doors and roof removed and no options vs. a loaded truck with all doors and windows and loaded down with accessories like roof racks and winch for all we know.
Agreed - something seems amiss or not clearly accounted for with those vehicle weights. Leastways, I lifted on my own (with some effort) the 3 speed auto trans from my Wrangler into my van for a rebuild recently. And I'm no incredible Hulk. Hard to believe adding 7 more speeds to the Ford automatic would add 400+ lbs.

But if certain loaded configurations of the Bronco add potentially 600lbs, that can have some impact on acceleration/handling. Even when taking the hardtop off my Jeep, the acceleration and handling improves. Avoiding a lot of extra weight could help performance of the 2.3L.
Sponsored

BroncoSarge

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AMB Bronco, 2021 CO Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 3.5 is fast. I currently have it in my F150 with 35s and a 2.5 level lift. I have beaten a standard 5.0 if with all of my 4 wheels engaged. I’m not sure I would want this in the Bronco. In rain, I have trouble not spinning my tires. Might be too much power for me. I plan on off-roading and overland mostly. Not going to race it.

I have also driven the 2.7. It will be the perfect fit for me. Plenty of power and fun.

Haulin455

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 3.5 is fast. I currently have it in my F150 with 35s and a 2.5 level lift. I have beaten a standard 5.0 if with all of my 4 wheels engaged. I’m not sure I would want this in the Bronco. In rain, I have trouble not spinning my tires. Might be too much power for me. I plan on off-roading and overland mostly. Not going to race it.

I have also driven the 2.7. It will be the perfect fit for me. Plenty of power and fun.
Uh what? You have trouble not spinning your tires in the rain? I have a 3.5EB in my F-150 and never have had that issue. Either you drive with traction control off in the rain and/or have an extremely heavy foot. With traction control on in the rain the tires might slip for a split second on harder acceleration from a stop but never to the point that they’re spinning. Unless whatever those 35” tires you bought are just bad in the rain and provide little grip.

Mainerunr

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
2020 Ford F-150 XLT 4WD SuperCrew 5.5' box w/ 2.3L - 4770 curb weight
Base Ford Bronco 2 door M/T with 2.3L - 4330 curb weight approx
Base Ford Bronco 2 door A/T with 2.3L - 4965 curb weight approx
Base Ford Bronco 4 door M/T with 2.3L - 4500 curb weight approx
Base Ford Bronco 4 door A/T with 2.3L - 5100 curb weight approx
No such thing as the F150 with the 2.3. No way going from a MT to an AT adds 600 lb either.

And that weight for an XLT 4x4 Supercrew 5.5' box cannot be right. I have one (with the V8 which, weighs about the same as the 2.7 EB) and the curb weight of my truck is 5182 lb.

And for anyone knocking the 2.7 EB because they want a V8, that V6 makes more low end torque than the Coyote so...the only thing you would gain with the V8 is the sound.

Mainerunr

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Anybody with a 2.7 ecoboost f-150 knows it'll be no issue. i haven't been a sports car guy but my 2.7 f150 is the fastest vehicle i've ever owned. it hauls. balls. you can debate the decimal points but its something like a 6 second 0-60 on a full sized crew cab truck. i tow my 20' boat like its not even there. my gas mileage mixed always sits above 20mpg. the absolute shit would be a supercharged 3.5 ecoboost like they put in the limited and raptor. the limited is the second fastest production truck ever built, and moves that truck to 60 in 5.1 seconds.
The limited and Raptor do NOT have a supercharger. It's just a different 3.5 EB than in the regular F150s (few different parts, very different tune).

You are right about the 2.7 though. I have the V8 in mine, I drove both, the 2.7 was great, only issue was unless you got the payload package, the payload int he 2.7 trucks was no better than my 2011 V8 while the truck I got had 400lb more payload than my old one (and while I was nowhere near the tow rating with my old truck towing my TT, I was right at the payload limit).

Sponsored

rubikiller

Black Diamond
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

The 3.5 is not significantly faster that the 2.7 if at all

Jsullivan

Base
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Explorer, 2016 F350 Diesel, 2013 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Anybody with a 2.7 ecoboost f-150 knows it'll be no issue. i haven't been a sports car guy but my 2.7 f150 is the fastest vehicle i've ever owned. it hauls. balls. you can debate the decimal points but its something like a 6 second 0-60 on a full sized crew cab truck. i tow my 20' boat like its not even there. my gas mileage mixed always sits above 20mpg. the absolute shit would be a supercharged 3.5 ecoboost like they put in the limited and raptor. the limited is the second fastest production truck ever built, and moves that truck to 60 in 5.1 seconds.
I had the 3.5 EB in a SC F150 4x4 8' bed completely stock and it absolutely would haul a$$.
I'm sure the 2.7 EB in my 2-Door Bronco will do just fine.
Sponsored