Sponsored

I think I found a good tire option compromise.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I cant really accept any of the tire options they are offering for the Bronco. The BFGs are just too wimpy and the Max Tracs dont even look like much of an upgrade over Duratracs. Normally I would insist on some type of Super Swamper. However many of you seem to prefer road tires for some reason. I live on an island and do see about 10 to 15% of my time off pavement without even trying so Its natural for me to want a tire that will resist 2 inch long Kiawe thorns. So in the interest of a street friendly serious offroad tire I present the...

....Mickey Thompson Baja Pro XS. These tires have sipes and the round profile that all the street tire folks on here prefer. The entry level size is 35x13.5- R17. Perfect for a swap on a Squatched Bronco. For real how many of you would have flipped your lid when we saw that premier video if these shoes were on that pair of Broncos that ran with the horses in the desert?
Ford Bronco I think I found a good tire option compromise. baja-pro-xs-tread
Ford Bronco I think I found a good tire option compromise. OIP
Ford Bronco I think I found a good tire option compromise. 13-mickey-thompson-baja-pro-xs-mud-terrain-extreme-rocks-4wheelparts

Ford Bronco I think I found a good tire option compromise. baja-pro-xs-3q
Sponsored

Zeke013

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Like the look - but I am in snow and rain country. Hard pass here.

ETA - I see Mickey Thompson sells these as good on snow. Put me down as TBD. Not a tread I'd think was good in standing water at speed (hydroplane) or snow, but always willing to be educated.

ETA 2 : $500 per.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MaverickMan

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Like the look - but I am in snow and rain country. Hard pass here.

ETA - I see Mickey Thompson sells these as good on snow. Put me down as TBD. Not a tread I'd think was good in standing water at speed (hydroplane) or snow, but always willing to be educated.

ETA 2 : $500 per.
I've seen videos of mud in Oregon. I think they'd be right at home. And hydroplaning is more of a problem with distracted or driving. Vehicle speed should be relative to wiper speed settings.

The price is high. Higher than swampers but for a more streetable tire, its a trade off.

Time will tell what I do myself.

Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I cant really accept any of the tire options they are offering for the Bronco.

For real how many of you would have flipped your lid when we saw that premier video if these shoes were on that pair of Broncos that ran with the horses in the desert?
I'm glad you found tires that will work for you. You have to recognize your situation is unique. Ford can't stock and offer 20 different kinds of tires. They need to find the handful of options that will work for the most number of people.

I'm of the thought that I'd be best off with two sets of tires--one set for the street for on-road manners and mileage and lower cost-per-mile, and a second set for the off-road trips. It'll cost me more up-front, but they'll last longer, each being used where they are meant to be used. But 15% of my daily driving won't be off-road, nor do I have 2-inch thorns to contend with.

OP
OP
MaverickMan

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm glad you found tires that will work for you. You have to recognize your situation is unique. Ford can't stock and offer 20 different kinds of tires. They need to find the handful of options that will work for the most number of people.

I'm of the thought that I'd be best off with two sets of tires--one set for the street for on-road manners and mileage and lower cost-per-mile, and a second set for the off-road trips. It'll cost me more up-front, but they'll last longer, each being used where they are meant to be used. But 15% of my daily driving won't be off-road, nor do I have 2-inch thorns to contend with.
Oh I fully understand why they offer what they do. But it would have been "built wild" to have an option like that on the first vehicle out there to offer 35s stock. They could have pulled the 33 BFGs and made the MT the 33 option and had the 35 Bajas. Also the General Grabbers and the BFGs are redundant.

And yes 2 sets of tires is definitely a great thing especially if your shop has a concrete floor. Unfortunately mine does not yet. So 10 min tire swaps arent really a thing on rubber farm mats.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oh I fully understand why they offer what they do. But it would have been "built wild" to have an option like that on the first vehicle out there to offer 35s stock. They could have pulled the 33 BFGs and made the MT the 33 option and had the 35 Bajas. Also the General Grabbers and the BFGs are redundant.

And yes 2 sets of tires is definitely a great thing especially if your shop has a concrete floor. Unfortunately mine does not yet. So 10 min tire swaps arent really a thing on rubber farm mats.
I don't know enough about tires to know the similarities and differences between say the K02s and the Grabbers. The A/T tires on the Badlands (I think those are K02s) actually land in a good spot (for me) of being enough for off-road, with the M/Ts being more than I need and probably a bad street choice. That might mean that I would just stick with those full-time rather than have two sets.

Someone else mentioned those tires being $500 per. That's probably the single thing that killed any chance they could have had being sold through a manufacturer. That and if Mickey Thompson didn't have the capacity to supply Ford with what they needed. Imagine Ford telling people their Sasquatch-equipped Broncos will be delayed because of tires. o_O

Frank N

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Nice but not practical for most. I do run Mickeys on my truck. ATZs, aggressive without sacrifice in rain and snow. More of an RT tire than AT.

B8BAE5A6-E81E-425B-8CA8-FAF13D0130BE.jpeg

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
12.50 wide swampers on 15x15 rims :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: ?:ROFLMAO:?:ROFLMAO:?
Too skinny! Gotta go with the 33x15.50 TSL SX! What a beast of a tire!

That Mickey Thompson looks awesome. Id rock them on the street!

Sponsored

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Haha, and I was going to say too wide. That (Mickey Thompson) MT tire is too wide without the proper siping for most conditions. It's another "all show, no go" kind of a tire. It'll be crappy in rain/snow and mediocre in mud. It's not a Swamper, but a cute mall crawler tire for someone that wants to look the part, at least for around here. The BFG KO2 is a much better tire for 90% - 95% of the conditions most people will use the Bronco. For the rest, they need a better off road tire than the MT. I used to run MTs and they sucked, wore fast and had mediocre mud performance, pathetic rock performance and worse than pathetic rain/snow performance. The sidewalls sure looked cool though.

OP
OP
MaverickMan

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Too skinny! Gotta go with the 33x15.50 TSL SX! What a beast of a tire!

That Mickey Thompson looks awesome. Id rock them on the street!
Its a weird thing Tacos out here do. You ever see a lowered 2wd 90s Taco on 30" super swampers that are 4 inches narrower that the rims? I honestly dont know how they mount them like that? I had a hard enough time mounting 28x8.50 swampers on 8" wide XJ wheels. They also do 10" lifts on IFS rigs out here with 31" swampers. This island needs more Broncos!

I do like the SXs though and may end up with them or LTBs.

Bullseye

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Trailblazer, '09 Forester Limited
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Those things just look like they're waiting to sing the song of their people

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Haha, and I was going to say too wide. That (Mickey Thompson) MT tire is too wide without the proper siping for most conditions. It's another "all show, no go" kind of a tire. It'll be crappy in rain/snow and mediocre in mud. It's not a Swamper, but a cute mall crawler tire for someone that wants to look the part, at least for around here. The BFG KO2 is a much better tire for 90% - 95% of the conditions most people will use the Bronco. For the rest, they need a better off road tire than the MT. I used to run MTs and they sucked, wore fast and had mediocre mud performance, pathetic rock performance and worse than pathetic rain/snow performance. The sidewalls sure looked cool though.
“Mediocre in mud”??? ?

OP
OP
MaverickMan

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have been passed on the trail a few times by Baja Claws while riding on my Swampers. The problem with Boggers as much as I love them is that you will slide sideways off of hills if you dont cut em(something I am willing to do but maybe not till the Bronco is broken in), But then they wear faster. This MT seems to bee better at side hilling. Kind of a hybrid between Bogger and TSL( a combo I used to run on my best CJs front to rear).

I wont even think about BFGs. I have had 2 sets on my 96 Bronco they last maybe 18 months on road and I barely take them offroad because I dont have a winch on it. And seen a set disappear in less than 14 months on an Expedition. They just dont last and dont really do more than any other AT. There only real draw is that they are cheap and Costco has em in stock.

I know most of you dont offroad and when you do do it for the destination, not the conquest. But for those that want to put your Bronco to the test. I think these are a viable tire for those times you will go on the road to get off it. These have more sidewall plies(stiffer) than most swampers which is important for turning the vehicle at road speeds.
Sponsored