Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FiST
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Free charging stations? You pay for your charge.
my friend went full on Tesla-they have money. The has solar panels and Tesla batteries plus 2 Teslas. 3000sq ft house. They allegedly never have an electric bill over $10. Huge upfront cost for all of that, but he makes it sound viable
That ā€œfreeā€ was meant in jest.
Well yeah, if they have a ton of solar panels, sure, and yes, HUGE up front cost. Iā€™m talking about the average rube who will get fleeced thinking that theyā€™ll be saving money by going EV.
Sponsored

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
That ā€œfreeā€ was meant in jest.
Well yeah, if they have a ton of solar panels, sure, and yes, HUGE up front cost. Iā€™m talking about the average rube who will get fleeced thinking that theyā€™ll be saving money by going EV.
If you charge at home, itā€™s definitely a huge savings even without the panels. Even in the most expensive per kWh areas. Even more so where most average rubes live

BroncMe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's going to be a long wait. We aren't Norway

Ford Bronco I think I'm out..... 1641686477319

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think full EVā€™s are way further than 10 years off, based solely on the inability of the current grid to handle the increased stress.
Every time it gets hot, CA has to shut the power down to avoid over stressing it because of people running their A/Cā€™s, and we saw what happened with TX last year when it got cold.
Whatā€˜s gonna happen when all of a sudden everyone is plugging in their cars at the same time?
You have a valid point, so no debate here from me. Iā€™m not even sure what making the EV turn even would look like as far as a timetable.

What I mean here is that, think I read where half or close to half of all cars on the road today are over 10 years old. This shocked me; guess Iā€™m some sort of elitist unintendedly since we change them out every 3-5 yerars which will not be the case with my Bronco. I do have a 22 year old Disco thatā€™s strictly for wheeling, hunting, and camping until I get my Bronco, but if the 10+ yr old car stat is real, that means in 10 years most will still be driving ICE cars with no budget for a new one.

The cost of housing should be more of a concern than the price of gas. I get the significance of the topic, but housing costs will hit everyone harder. How does a retiree begin to survive and drive in the next 10 years? On top of that, think of how many retirees there will even be in 10 years; almost 100 million.

Somethingā€™s got to give, I just have no idea what that is. I say all of this to say that we donā€™t know what this will look like one way or the other. Speculation is fun, but usually doesnā€™t begin to resemble the reality because weā€™re not taking the time to analyze all of the variables, many have yet to even materialize.

I think EVs are ok. Hybrids have proven to be fine and reliable even. My concern is what happens when Iā€™m 30 miles up the trail and some complex machine part breaks? ICE vehicles are in no way easy to fix, but suspensions are suspensions and those are normally the concern. I donā€™t even know where to start when some link between the motor and this very dangerous high capacity battery comes apart. What about a fire? Yes, gas and oil catch fire, but theyā€™re also easier to put out than an overloaded or breached lithium ion battery.

Anyway, maybe these things will get figured like everything else. Until then, when out in the woods, Iā€™ll stick to what I know and understand with the experience Iā€™ve gained to deal with it.

Sponsored

fundelay

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Unicorn Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Letā€™s not get carried away. It is absolutely a daily driver. A motorcycle is a toy.
I am speaking for myself. Gas mileage-wise, you must know what you're getting into. It's obvious to me, that 18mpg is a push especially when modified.

TheShark

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4DR Wildtrak, 2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I get EV's and I'm sure that's where we are headed but until they can solve the range/battery question and have some better infrastructure in place for charging I'm not running down that path yet. Fine if you want to commute everyday or in a city. I was just reading an article on how someone drove across country in an EV and all the meticulous planning involved with range and charging stations. Now a hybrid Bronco I would be onboard with. I thought about the MPG when I was looking at buying a Bronco but then I thought I'm working from home now and don't put anywhere near the mileage I use too so what the heck, who cares if it only gets 19 mpg. I'm also 64 so I want to drive what makes me happy and whatever the future brings it's brings.

Wade Garrett

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FiST
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you charge at home, itā€™s definitely a huge savings even without the panels. Even in the most expensive per kWh areas. Even more so where most average rubes live
Most will get the Superchargers and most will have outrageous electric bills because if it.

bronco2drga

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Have you looked at the cost of a tesla battery swap??? I will stick to fuel for the next decade, thanks.

Little Foot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was very enthused and excited about the idea of buying a 2drBronco Badlands, v6. I haven't had a new vehicle since the 93 Toyota which I recently sold for $250 less than what I bought it for..... but my excitement has died down over time...what is killing it for me are a few issues I just can't get arround.......18mph and 20 hwy mpg for the V6..REALLY that's abysmal!!!! a manual tranny would help. Get the MPG up to 24-26 hwy might change my mind,,,but 20 mpg is terrible. Then for me there is this complete push by the US government to go to EV's, what's gonna happen to gas prices??? Is the Government gonna cause gas prices to go up to push... Ev's on the population as a whole...I have a feeling they will. So buying a gas guzzling vehicle which has a power train which is being phased out just doesn't seem like a smart way to drop $50K on a vehicle....I just can't do it....If for some reason I change my mind it will still be there for me to buy, but since I own vehicles for a long time, I just can't see dropping $50K on something which is trying to be phased out......
Good luck when it is time to buy your Electric Vehicle. To replace those batteries, you are going to be dropping 20k. The batteries last anywhere from 10-20 years, depending on battery and environment. I dunno, Iā€™d probably buy the gas vehicle until you find a hybrid or EV that you liked šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Sponsored

Wade Garrett

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FiST
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am speaking for myself. Gas mileage-wise, you must know what you're getting into. It's obvious to me, that 18mpg is a push especially when modified.
Yep. Iā€™m on board with what other have mentioned regarding a hybrid Bronco, but I donā€™t have much of a commute and will be daily driving mine.

Tmurder1776

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have a 2.3L too -- not sure how you're getting 24mpg unless you're always driving downhill. šŸ˜‚
Non-Sas and I drive it in eco-mode and fairly conservatively. Even when I went to Moab and was in 4-hi it did like 22. They key is use cruise control and have a light foot if at all possible.

Coldsmoke

Badlands
First Name
Knuckles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hydrogen is used to power electric motors. Hydrogen for a internal combustion engine would be the bomb, literally.

However it has been considered but there is a down side:
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...hy-dont-we-burn-hydrogen-instead-of-gasoline/
Interesting information. Even so, if it was used for fuel cells to power electric motors that would be orders of magnitude better than batteries. Regardless, I still feel the ICE engine will be around a lot longer than the tree huggers and California think. Thanks for the link on Hydrogen though. šŸ˜€

TMP

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Super Duty 6.7
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

..what is killing it for me are a few issues I just can't get arround.......18mph and 20 hwy mpg for the V6..REALLY that's abysmal!!!!
Hahahahahahaā€¦.18-20mpg????? Good luck with thatā€¦.our 2 door V6 Sasquatch gets 14 around town and maybe 17-18 highway if you do not use the gas pedal and keep it under 55 mph! My guess is you made the right decisionā€¦.the Bronco is not for you.

LSTLAF

First Name
Glort
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sphere shaped craft
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think the switch to EVā€™s will come sooner than everyone thinks. Range and charging is going to drastically improve over the next couple of years. When we can go 500+ miles on a single charge and recharge in less than 10 minutes, the ICE will be history šŸ˜Ž.
Sure. Where are you going to get all of the electricity to power them? Oil?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.