Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm curious what an EV Bronco would weigh since the 6G is already porky. The H2 was 6500 pounds yet the Hummer EV is nine thousand pounds 🤯
Sponsored

blsbikes2

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Crazy talk. There's going to be plenty of electricity to power our electric future with gas generators.

We will need to replace our gas cars with electric cars run on electricity generated from gas? Or:

A. gentle breezes and sunny days.
or
B. Fossil fuel
or
Lots of others

Mostly run on coal plants, natural gas plants, nuclear... and gas generators.
Yep. The biggest issue is where all that electricity comes from. Solar, wind and other renewables are just a very small percentage today. It will take decades of builing out that infrastructure to gain any traction. Then you have grid/distribution issues. And don't forget the rapidly modernizing 3rd world. Gas, oil and natural gas will be with us far beyond my lifetime. Nuclear solves a lot of issues, but good luck with that. Hydrogen has some appeal, but it must be produced, and that uses the same petroleum reources except of a very small part from renewables (green hydrogen). Not saying the future will not come, but don't by the hype, it is a long time away.
Enough on this subject. My production week is supposed to be this coming week. No delay e-mail yet so psyched!!

Heffe66413

Outer Banks
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If I wanted a Pruis I would have just bought one. But I didn’t want to be a grumpy old man driving it around. So I’ll get my Bronco, spend a little more on gas - and you’ll see me with a big smile on my face. Life is alway about choices- choose wisely.

BadBradBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
More EVs = Lower Demand on fuel
Lower demand on fuel = lower fuel costs

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I do, and everyone In my city does, and you’ll be surprised some day. You might not adapt to it, but the generations behind you are. In the meantime we will both be enjoying our Broncos. Love what you did with yours.
But not everyone lives in a city.

Sponsored

Roman_bmw335i

First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I was very enthused and excited about the idea of buying a 2drBronco Badlands, v6. I haven't had a new vehicle since the 93 Toyota which I recently sold for $250 less than what I bought it for..... but my excitement has died down over time...what is killing it for me are a few issues I just can't get arround.......18mph and 20 hwy mpg for the V6..REALLY that's abysmal!!!! a manual tranny would help. Get the MPG up to 24-26 hwy might change my mind,,,but 20 mpg is terrible. Then for me there is this complete push by the US government to go to EV's, what's gonna happen to gas prices??? Is the Government gonna cause gas prices to go up to push... Ev's on the population as a whole...I have a feeling they will. So buying a gas guzzling vehicle which has a power train which is being phased out just doesn't seem like a smart way to drop $50K on a vehicle....I just can't do it....If for some reason I change my mind it will still be there for me to buy, but since I own vehicles for a long time, I just can't see dropping $50K on something which is trying to be phased out......
Crazy talk. There's going to be plenty of electricity to power our electric future with gas generators.

We will need to replace our gas cars with electric cars run on electricity generated from gas? Or:

A. gentle breezes and sunny days.
or
B. Fossil fuel
or
Lots of others

Mostly run on coal plants, natural gas plants, nuclear... and gas generators.
Ya for sure you are talking crazy. I can see how well your gentle breezy days work in Europe, half the time not producing no electricity.

21BL2DR

Badlands
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BL 2dr, 2021 BB 4dr, 2022 BS 2dr, trifecta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've noticed that the "we have to go to EV" crowd lean predominately in one direction in regards to political beliefs as well. I pretty much don't really care what kind of vehicle any one else drives and THANK GOD I am so old that I will never be relegated to driving those overweight, ridiculous, laughable pieces of shit in my lifetime. Did you see the cost of a replacement Tesla battery last week? However we all know this is just a microscopic fraction of how people have lost their minds lol. It's the same concept being pandered by idiots that think covering our country with solar panels is the answer. OK...I'm out. Gotta start up my big F450 twin turbo (tuned to 1200 horsepower) black smoke belching piece of Merica and make a beer run. Happy Sunday. Remember its the Lord's day so be nice to one another.

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Right now it looks like a mad dash for full EV while ignoring the benefits of Hybrids. Personally I feel like the plug in hybrid variety will serve the slow adopters (and quite frankly I feel like they are a waste of time and resources). Who knows, GM could suddenly become the leader….(yeah right)
99% of my driving is local. A fully electric vehicle would suit me fine. We also have a Ford Expedition that’s great for long trips. Once charging times get down to under 10 minutes, I’d gladly trade the Expedition for an electric version. I believe that day is coming soon. Just my opinion.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Your second sentence is true but we seem to be very far from that situation, at least for many use cases. For example, one magazine estimates the Lightning will have a range of 100 miles when towing 10k pounds. That would mean I would spend nearly as much of my day at the charging station as I would actually driving down the interstate if I'm hauling a larger trailer, especially a camper with a large wind profile. We're certainly going to see the EV trend pick up steam but I think we're decades away from anybody having to worry about finding a gas station.

The charging infrastructure will be another interesting hurtle. There will almost certainly have to be some kind of financial mechanism to incentivize charging at certain times because many areas can barely meet the current demand. The polar vortex of 2021 showed this clearly and it wasn't just Texas that rolled blackouts to survive. Fun fact, Texas was 4 minutes away from a statewide blackout before they dropped the last block of load to stabilize the frequency. Yikes!
Worst, current charging stations are not set up to charge a towing rig. Charging pumps are not spaced appropriately, even at Tesla's superchargers. What you will need to do is unhook and charge, then re-hook. Even that will take up real estate, which is a cost element of the kW price you'll pay.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Sponsored

cigartexan

First Edition
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 F100 SS - 2012 F-350 SD - 2021 4D Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

My GF founded an oil company back in the 1920's. We will forever use fossil fuels. Where do you think the electricity comes from for EV's? NG! This country is afraid of Nuke power, so we burn coal and NG. BTW, 50% of your vehicle is a petroleum byproduct! EV's are worse for the environment IMHO. We have not broken the solid state/Graphine barrier at scale, till we do we'll have to deal with more battery waist than ever before!

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The early adopters mostly live in single family dwellings and will charge overnight at home. The multiple family dwellers will primarily have to charge at public charging stations. Once charge times are reduced to 10 minutes or less, the ICE is toast.
But is not just the battery technology. Regardless of the battery technology used to store the energy, the energy needs to be moved off the grid into the battery. How much more EV drivetrains can get efficient at converting electrical potential energy into kinetic energy is a tall order because EV's are quite efficient right now, with a lot of models well over 100 MPGe. So battery size is what increases range. kW storage is what it is, dumping 30 to 50 kHh of energy into a battery in just 10 minutes requires specialized electrical equipment, which requires training and heavy cables (might need water cooling if the duty cycle is up over 80%) along with onboard charging equipment that is carried around with the vehicle.

It is not just a simple lager/more energy dense battery; there are real physical limitations to transporting tens thousands of kilowatts in a short time period. Physics is physics.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My GF founded an oil company back in the 1920's. We will forever use fossil fuels. Where do you think the electricity comes from for EV's? NG! This country is afraid of Nuke power, so we burn coal and NG. BTW, 50% of your vehicle is a petroleum byproduct! EV's are worse for the environment IMHO. We have not broken the solid state/Graphine barrier at scale, till we do we'll have to deal with more battery waist than ever before!
I was thinking, "Man your girlfriend is old"... then the lightbulb went on... :ROFLMAO:

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

But is not just the battery technology. Regardless of the battery technology used to store the energy, the energy needs to be moved off the grid into the battery. How much more EV drivetrains can get efficient at converting electrical potential energy into kinetic energy is a tall order because EV's are quite efficient right now, with a lot of models well over 100 MPGe. So battery size is what increases range. kW storage is what it is, dumping 30 to 50 kHh of energy into a battery in just 10 minutes requires specialized electrical equipment, which requires training and heavy cables (might need water cooling if the duty cycle is up over 80%) along with onboard charging equipment that is carried around with the vehicle.

It is not just a simple lager/more energy dense battery; there are real physical limitations to transporting tens thousands of kilowatts in a short time period. Physics is physics.
I read somewhere that Ford just patented a cable to do exactly what you’re talking about. There are going to be many challenges along the way. I believe the market will answer them because there is a ton of money to be made. Good, old fashioned capitalism will rise to the challenge.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Right now it looks like a mad dash for full EV while ignoring the benefits of Hybrids. Personally I feel like the plug in hybrid variety will serve the slow adopters (and quite frankly I feel like they are a waste of time and resources). Who knows, GM could suddenly become the leader….(yeah right)
The Volt was truly a great car. No one bit on it, sadly.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.