Sponsored

I think our renders are fundamentally flawed.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
So I have been racking my brain trying to figure this out for a few days now. I like the renders y'all have been putting out, but every single one has something... missing. So I think it's because we are skipping a generation of Bronco. Allow me to explain:

Ford has had nameplates that are either continuous or that come back around for a long time now. Specifically; I'm referring to the Ford GT and the Mustang(More importantly the GT). Now, we have had 3 generations of GT; and 6 generations of Mustang. The 1st generations of both are iconic vehicles; definitely in the top few most iconic vehicles ever. But right up there with both is the Bronco 1st generation. Now here's the catch; we only ever got one generation of production "BRONCO". The later Broncos; they're OK. But nobody is spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on one with a Coyote in it that's rebuilt from the frame up like the first-gen. Now here's the catch; the other two Ford vehicles that are of similar importance have had multiple generations to "grow up" but the Bronco has not. So I think that the renders we have been getting are a bit slavish to the design. We are seeing renders of a possible Bronco SECOND generation, when in reality the 2nd generation Bronco was the 2004 concept. So we need to be moving on to the 3rd generation, which, for example of the Ford GT is WAY different than the original.

To draw it out per se:

Ford GT40 -> 2005 Ford GT -> 2017 Ford GT
Mustang 1st generation -> Mustang 5th generation -> Mustang 6th Generation
1st Gen Bronco -> 2004 Concept/Renders -> Bronco 6G

The BroncoBronco is going to be the 2017 Ford GT or the 2015 Mustang of the Bronco lineup, which means while it is going to have retro features it will not be overly retro like the renders we've been seeing. If anything, and this is a wild guess, I think it might be even more modern than the GT or Mustang is, and that the Bronco R may have even understated a lot of the design and styling features on it. This may be pure speculation, but to me all the secrecy and the fact that we have not even seen a prototype yet is not adding up if we're getting what these renders represent, Ford has to be hiding a lot more. I know this was probably a bit of a rant, but I have a feeling that we may be looking a bit too much at the past design language and not thinking about Ford's current design language and how to incorporate Bronco elements into that.
Sponsored

dmtndan

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Silverado, 2014 Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I feel like there may be a kick up at the end of the back glass like on a Scout with body lines that follow, but more defined with a sharp edge. Not quite like the Rezvani Tank though, a much softer and rounded off as Ford likes to do.

4A03EC98-9119-45DD-B7FE-53D9D282D896.jpeg

0BF20E77-9E0B-41F6-BDAD-07F60135218F.jpeg

dmtndan

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Silverado, 2014 Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

That being said I hope the renders TopRecon and Bucked Offroad are spot on. Mash up of these two is my personal view of the new Bronco.

EE63F272-2018-4083-A975-E2161F11B558.jpeg

9FE388CB-9940-4560-B9EA-683A4FDDAF34.png

Sponsored

6GSooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

My personal opinion (and I have zero to base it in), is that we’ve seen the production model. I think the R IS the production model. Throw a solid color on and tune down the lift/tire combo and I think that’s it.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I agree in the sense and to the degree that we have little idea what is on the designer's notepads. It could be a mild retro with modern features, or a radical future truck with a smattering of loosely-interpreted 1st gen styling cues. For most of us here, we won't know until Ford decides we should know.

And on that note, I have to differ with your thoughts on Ford's secrecy. Other than providing some chuckles for corporate cubicle-land, it doesn't matter a whit to them what the renders look like, and they're not likely to pipe up and say, "oh, you got it on that one, that's it! We'll reveal tomorrow, now that you've guessed it." Every day they hold the design from public release is another day that all the other automotive manufacturers are deprived of the opportunity to react in time for their next facelift or major revision. You can bet that GM, Jeep, Nissan, Toyota, and others have their in-house renderings of what they expect to see - but every moment of not knowing what they are faced with countering in their upcoming responsive revisions is an advantage to Ford.

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Another point to consider is that the 2004 Bronco concept, 2005 Ford GT, and 5th generation Mustang were are designed with J Mays at the helm. The 2017 GT and 6th gen Mustang are under Moray Callum. If we want to somehow divine what the new Bronco will look like, then the rest of Callum's design language needs to be taken in to account.

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Man, I really hope you're right. I know I'm the minority here on this forum, but I REALLY don't want the Bronco looking like a bloated ripoff of some 1968 truck that I never aspired to own. It needs to have its own modern look with some headnods to the retro via small styling cues, much like the S550 Mustang. The 2005 Mustang, while cool for the time, aged VERY fast and looks pretty ugly nowadays... I don't think the current generation Mustang will suffer that same fate

I've said this before and I said it again, the "golden era" cars wouldn't be as legendary as they are if the designs were based off cars of the 20s for a "retro" look

Last edited:

Sponsored

SpursFan

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
350r, F150, Expedition, Cayenne and the others.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I personally think Bucked’s render is closer than all the other ones for sure.
Agree, as someone mentioned above a mash between Bucks and Recons I bet nets a 90% accurate render.

Dirty Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco - 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Some of the insiders over at blueovalforums said that bucked offroads was pretty close. They said the back end isn't as straight up (vertical) in real life and that the distance from the back of the rear fender to the bumper is a bit longer.

Carmaker1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco FE 4dr (His), '22 Bronco 7MT (Mine)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree in the sense and to the degree that we have little idea what is on the designer's notepads. It could be a mild retro with modern features, or a radical future truck with a smattering of loosely-interpreted 1st gen styling cues. For most of us here, we won't know until Ford decides we should know.

And on that note, I have to differ with your thoughts on Ford's secrecy. Other than providing some chuckles for corporate cubicle-land, it doesn't matter a whit to them what the renders look like, and they're not likely to pipe up and say, "oh, you got it on that one, that's it! We'll reveal tomorrow, now that you've guessed it." Every day they hold the design from public release is another day that all the other automotive manufacturers are deprived of the opportunity to react in time for their next facelift or major revision. You can bet that GM, Jeep, Nissan, Toyota, and others have their in-house renderings of what they expect to see - but every moment of not knowing what they are faced with countering in their upcoming responsive revisions is an advantage to Ford.
And there you have it ladies and gentlemen. Turnaround time to develop a new product makes all the difference, if your reference point is shown well before market introduction.

Another point to consider is that the 2004 Bronco concept, 2005 Ford GT, and 5th generation Mustang were are designed with J Mays at the helm. The 2017 GT and 6th gen Mustang are under Moray Callum. If we want to somehow divine what the new Bronco will look like, then the rest of Callum's design language needs to be taken in to account.
I'm sorry, but this isn't accurate. The S550 program began and finished under J Mays, while GT started under Mays, even if design freeze was under Callum in 2014.

This is what I was afraid of. People go off of when a final design goes into production, who was in charge of operations, versus when it was actually developed.

It reminds me of how Jack Telnack was responsible for directorship on most of the 1998-2002 model year Fords, yet J Mays (employed from late 1997 to 2014) was wrongfully given credit (ie 2002 Thunderbird).

Lead times in 90s and early 2000s were ridiculously high. That new car you saw in 2001, had 1997 all over it.

Both Broncos' designs were frozen in 2018, although one of them will not launch until 2021. "Frozen" as in, production styling to scale in every aspect. FDJ is internally the descriptor of that stage.

Callum's leadership in this area of design is variable, as certain Mays led designs were butchered mid-cycle (P552, CD391) or made into caricatures (P558 SD). He put the finishing touches on the original 1998 Super Duty some 25 years ago and it became a bonafide hit.

The S550 final design got fixed at the eleventh hour in 2012 and was belatedly frozen around Thanksgiving of 2012 (used D2C, so shorter lead time than S197).

The target was originally summer 2012 as a design freeze, to be ready by mid-2014 for Job 1, because most of the S550 design was pretty much done in 2011 and was approved in Winter 2012, but only as a final appearance concept.

Comparatively, the S197 design freeze was in the first half of 2002 (Job 1 Sep '04) following exterior design approval in the autumn of 2001.

S197 Gen 5 styling work commenced in 1999 under J Mays, several months after New Edge launched in December 1998 (New Edge was finalized circa late 1995/1996 under Telnack; '94 SN95 was Oct. 18, 1990 w/spring '91 design freeze).

The facelift landmarks ran like this: Fall 2005 concept approval for 2009/2010 S197, March 2006 freeze, mid-2010 for 2013 Mustang. All under Mays.

Unfortunately for the Bronco program, nearly 3 years will pass between final styling approval and first units sold to customer, which is somewhat old school. Ford is trying to reduce that to 2 years. It is not easy to predict trends 5 years down the road (early design stages to showrooms), let alone 3 years for the final product that's locked-in.

Last edited: