Sponsored

I want a 2.3 and manual, is there any reason to upgrade past the base?

AtomJester

Big Bend
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 Ford Bronco ii
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hey everyone!

First time posting. Discovering this forum may have been the worst thing that could have happened to me as I grow more and more impatient for my new bronco, I find my self checking this forum compulsively for updates! And... now tinkering with my build...

I have a day two or three reservation, and placed my order in January shortly after the window opened. As far as I am aware, I am the #1 spot at my dealership! Anyway, I ordered the 2-door BASE with 2.3 and the manual. 2.3 because the Bronco will most just be a daily driver, so fuel efficiency is more of a priority than power. I want a manual because that's what I drive now, and I genuinely just enjoy it more than an automatic. I went with the BASE because the price is GREAT and I just won't be off-roading frequently or doing anything too wild with the car... So, my question is...

If I 100% cannot be talked out of the 2.3 or the manual, what are the advantages to going up in trim? It seems like the bulk of the cool features you get with a big bend or black diamond are cosmetic, or can only be had with an automatic transmission (remote start). MOST of the upgrades, I could do aftermarket in the future, if I decide I want them. The big exception is maybe the spray down interior of the black diamond, but I'm honestly not a huge fan of the blue trim and although I love the idea of the spray down floor boards, I would rather have cloth than vinyl seats.

Am I missing something big here? Are there things that I will regret not getting from the factory? What am I missing that justifies spending more on a Big Bend or Black Diamond? Last question: What is the situation with the navigation feature? Is navigation just not available on the lower trims?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I can't wait to replace my '88 Bronco ii. She's hanging on by a thread.
Sponsored

ChompSticks

Black Diamond
First Name
ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 E55 wagon, '98 Suzuki X-90, '96 Town Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I hate that the mid packages remove the manual transmission for base big bend and black diamond. But move up to badlands and you can get any of the packages with the manual.

Randy92Fox

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Half Cab, 7.3 Powerstroke, 5.0 Convertible Fox
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Biggest thing IMO is Black Diamond comes with a rear locker and Big Bend can be optioned with a rear locker. It's not necessary for most people but would be costly to do aftermarket and no factory warranty. I was Black Diamond until manual squatch was announced. Base is a very good value imo.

3Dogs

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Escape, 2000 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The big upgrades are front and rear lockers and swaybar disconnect. You can only get them with the M.T. on the Badlands.

If you don’t need them for your planned offloading, then everything else is just tech features.

BOLD Renegade93

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Nope, you pretty much nailed it. I'll add to what the other folks said and say that the Big Bend does allow you to add the signature LED headlights. If that doesn't matter to you, considering what you've said, I'd stick to your current order!

Sponsored

BennyBronco69

Badlands
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BWM M4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
color options
package options
interior options

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

For the nav question you'll get wireless android auto and apple carplay on all trims. Think nav is a mid package feature and you can upgrade from connected to unconnected for way off road.

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you prefer cloth, prefer 2.3 MT & don’t plan on being off road I’d say you’re in a good spot.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With all you've said your needs are and with you being in northern Michigan.

Main reason to step up to Black Diamond is the MT with the Advanced 4A becomes an option.

Main reason to step up to Badlands is the above comes standard + you can add heated seats.

Now of course both those options come with a lot of other things included. But it seems like they're not necessarily what you need.

BruckinFonco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GTI Sport MT, 1993 VW Corrado VR6 MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
The most important feature to my wife and I is a manual. The second most important feature is heated seats. To have both in a MY21, we'd have to buy the Badlands with the Mid package, which works out to $45,730, and this doesn't include a couple of other features we'd be adding to any Bronco trim we buy. Because of this, because it's not possible to obtain the Sasquatch package with a manual, and because we're really not in love with any of the colors available for 2021, we've decided to wait for a MY22 hoping that some of the above opens up so that we can configure more of what we want for less money. Also hoping they offer some sort of earth tone, tan, brown, green, or maybe a real orange.

We will be a little jealous seeing other people out enjoying their MY21s, but we don't need a Bronco, it's simply a want. Our current vehicle does 95% of what we need it to so we're happy to wait. By the time our MY22 shows up we'll be able to put a large down payment on it, if not pay for it in cash outright.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you want to add much larger wheels and tires, the suspension and axles underpinning the base may not be up to the task in the long haul, warranting an upgrade to at least the Black Diamond. If you're happy staying on the smaller side with wheels and tires, the base should work out fine.

Sponsored

BigMex

Badlands
First Name
Ezra
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 White Ford Bronco (moar door, 7spd, lux)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I hate that the mid packages remove the manual transmission for base big bend and black diamond. But move up to badlands and you can get any of the packages with the manual.
Agreed. I won’t hate my 4-dr Badlands at all, and BB or BD would have been plenty capable for me. I feel obliged to spend more money than I had originally planned. I suppose I am now obliged to learn how to do Badlands-level off-roading. At least no parking lot curbs or drive through lane barriers can stop me and my Bronco 😂😂😂

ChompSticks

Black Diamond
First Name
ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 E55 wagon, '98 Suzuki X-90, '96 Town Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Agreed. I won’t hate my 4-dr Badlands at all, and BB or BD would have been plenty capable for me. I feel obliged to spend more money than I had originally planned. I suppose I am now obliged to learn how to do Badlands-level off-roading. At least no parking lot curbs or drive through lane barriers can stop me and my Bronco 😂😂😂
I ordered a 2 door black diamond because I wanted manual, cyber orange and steel wheels. Not sure why I want the steel wheels. Haha a base bronco would be more than capable for me anyways.

OP
OP
AtomJester

AtomJester

Big Bend
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 Ford Bronco ii
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

With all you've said your needs are and with you being in northern Michigan.

Main reason to step up to Black Diamond is the MT with the Advanced 4A becomes an option.

Main reason to step up to Badlands is the above comes standard + you can add heated seats.

Now of course both those options come with a lot of other things included. But it seems like they're not necessarily what you need.
What are the big advantages to the Advanced 4A? Looks like I can get the locking diff on the Big Bend, but the Advanced 4A requires the Squatch (which I'm not interested in) Are there any drawbacks to advanced 4A?

Also, could we assume that locking diffs will help for resale if I ever decide to sell in the future? Let's say in 10 years, if someone is looking for an off-roader, they will probably want the locking diffs right?

Why is this the hardest decision ever? haha

Another big draw for the base, is I feel like the more gizmos and power features and doo-dads you add on, the more that can inevitably break. My 88 bronco ii is still running, mostly because there is very little as far as electronic parts that can actually fail.

OP
OP
AtomJester

AtomJester

Big Bend
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 Ford Bronco ii
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Biggest thing IMO is Black Diamond comes with a rear locker and Big Bend can be optioned with a rear locker. It's not necessary for most people but would be costly to do aftermarket and no factory warranty. I was Black Diamond until manual squatch was announced. Base is a very good value imo.
What are the practical reasons I will need to lock? Is it mostly just trails, or would this come in handy during a burly Michigan winter? I'm not super familiar with 4X4 technology. I assume these could be locked and unlocked from within the vehicle? Again, I don't plan on doing a lot of intense trails. But, dirt roads in a foot and a half of snow present a decent challenge for most vehicles haha.
Sponsored