Sponsored

I would rather have a nonremovable roof.

I would rather have a non removable roof.

• Total voters

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why would anyone be here without the removable roof? Unless you’re just a ford/bronco fanboy it’s insanely dumb. You can go buy a 4Runner right now that will without a doubt be more reliable and cheaper.

The only differentiator is the open air experience.
Sponsored

BroncoPA65

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Fords & VW's
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm in the soft top only camp, and have been since the beginning.

But I can see why some would want this. Just not me.
Yeah, understood, but in these harsher winter weather climates, that's where the Hardtop is clutch. Snow and 15° temperatures in winter were my decision point in needing the hard top.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My suggestion would be to provide a metal , non-removable roof as an option in addition to whatever removable tops that Bronco offers.

The non-removable roof could provide those with no interest in the topless experience (a) an opportunity to avoid risks associated with potential leaks, seal or latch failures, and wind noise, (b) a painted top for body color or two tone designs, (c) no fear of fading and a repairable surface, (d) not being pestered by friends and relatives to take the top off and on etc.

Am wondering if an innovative approach could be to design a metal , single-piece , roof that is technically removable - just not easily. Might make for a an easy design process to clone the current MIC/Modular roof into a metal shell. This approach could also leave the door open for a metal roofed Bronco to be converted to the MIC/Mod top some years from now if desired by a future owner.

As a disclaimer, I am not currently a reservation holder - waiting and hoping for more information and good news on quality. As perhaps some credibility I have recently owned a Power Retractable HardTop convertible Mazda MX-5 for 12 years. Only very rarely put the top down. Just not my thing. But, the solid surface top provided a little more noise reduction, more security against thiefs cutting into the convertible top, and easy waxing of the surface with no need to periodically replace the cloth/vinyl top. I'd have gladly purchased that vehicle even if it did not come as a convertible.

Am praying that we all find a happy spot down this trail somewhere... .. .

rak2
None of what you wrote makes any sense. The point of owning a convertible is to drive it with the top down/removed.

Developing a Bronco with a fixed steel roof is pointless; it's a completely different design ethos. Designing a hard-to-remove metal top serves no purpose other than to increase production cost of the vehicle. The Bronco soft top/plastic removable hard top design makes the most engineering sense. The Bronco has always been a removable-top SUV. The entire point of the Bronco rebirth exercise is the removable top.

Bertbronco

Big Bend
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Given the hard tip fiasco, would there be significant demand for a nonremovable roof?

And make the rear window roll up and down into the door. Then we’re talking about competing with all those Toyota 4Runner die hards too.

Just a thought.
I would like just a one piece option like the old 4runner. I'm never taking it off and would prefer to not have the leaks bad seams

Sponsored

SwankyTiger

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why would anyone be here without the removable roof? Unless you’re just a ford/bronco fanboy it’s insanely dumb. You can go buy a 4Runner right now that will without a doubt be more reliable and cheaper.

The only differentiator is the open air experience.
the 4 runner is much larger than a bronco. Also what else comes with 35's and lockers Factory that isnt a truck?

Also jeep has always had issue with the freedom panels leaking forever and still hasnt got it fixed, its not if it will leak, its when.

Southside_Ray

Base
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Except you would be missing...

Removable doors
Ground clearence
Lockers
SBD
Approach and departure angle
Breakover angle
33", 35", 37" tires
Winch bumper
Rock rails
Bash plates
Coil overs
Goat modes
Roll bar
Trail cam

I'm sure I missed a few.
I believe on my BaseBase I wouldn't be missing quite as much as listed.

Reactions: LHD

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Could live with a non removable top, but don’t actually prefer it.

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would never consider a Bronco with a fixed top. Now removable doors I could give or take. For me the novelty will wear off eventually. They aren't that easy to remove and reinstall. And the ride at highway speeds with the doors off isn't what I would call enjoyable.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

easy solution, just tack weld the bolts holding the roof to the body and use a good epoxy to glue all the roof panels on, problem solved. ;-)
I think many are missing the point of a Bronco with a fixed roof, yes, it could be built like a 4Runner with a permanently attached roof, but other methods exist.

First off, why have a fixed roof:
  • Solid roof with thicker construction would allow for:
    • More soundproofing
    • Thermal insulation
  • Minimizes the chances of leaks
Take the 1990's Bronco's for example...

Ford Bronco I would rather have a nonremovable roof. img_20200208_132225584_hdr-

Sponsored

LHD

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samurais, Corvairs, 914-6, TT, F350 SD
Your Bronco Model
Base
You want an option like a Samurai. Hardtop (tintop) and soft top. Not that crazy really. Ford could do away with the roll bar And free up interior volume and the rear door Could be a full door.

I personally want the removable top, but then again I do have 3 Samurais that are open top versions.

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Topless, or some top sections off, is one of the key marketing points for the Bronco obviously and it lends itself better to certain applications while you may not necessarily be a fan for daily driver/commuter use

In a true off road situation, at least with the 2DR, many people would hate sitting in the back without windows down capability or going topless. In that setting you want to participate in the surrounding nature and see the unobstructed horizontal/vertical views and not feel locked in back there in a tight area or head banging the side during some rock crawling

Last time I rented a jeep in Moab the place had them all configured topless or with a shade top

71to21-2DR

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

None of what you wrote makes any sense. The point of owning a convertible is to drive it with the top down/removed.

Developing a Bronco with a fixed steel roof is pointless; it's a completely different design ethos. Designing a hard-to-remove metal top serves no purpose other than to increase production cost of the vehicle. The Bronco soft top/plastic removable hard top design makes the most engineering sense. The Bronco has always been a removable-top SUV. The entire point of the Bronco rebirth exercise is the removable top.
Exactly!
Lets make a 4 door, fixed top IRS ELECTRIC 2wd drive With 22” low profile, wheels, completely autonomous vehicle, and Still call it a Bronco!
Kids these days!!
Git yo head yo ass! Brah!

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
the last few days I have been really thinking about why I want a bronco. yes I want to get into more outdoor activities and the Bronco could be a gateway to that. But then I also think, I don't want to or plan to go anywhere that a regular 4x4 pick up could go or even an SUV with just decent ground clearance.

What keeps pulling me in is the removable roof and doors.
Sponsored