Sponsored

I would rather have a nonremovable roof.

I would rather have a non removable roof.

• Total voters

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just don't take the roof off and you'll have what you want...
Noise leaks, cost, poor thermal control.

It's only June and it's already 100F outside, and in the winter it's -40. My window for using a convertible and not being miserable is so narrow I have no interest in that feature for a daily use vehicle. But my driveway is more "off road" than most people will ever take theirs.
Sponsored

Lab00Rat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL 2-Door, 2021 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Noise leaks, cost, poor thermal control.

It's only June and it's already 100F outside, and in the winter it's -40. My window for using a convertible and not being miserable is so narrow I have no interest in that feature for a daily use vehicle. But my driveway is more "off road" than most people will ever take theirs.
Ford is giving out free headliners that will be the answer to everyone's problems. Free stuff fixes everything. It should make it feel more permanent.

/s

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
All of this talk is moot, the roof will be removable. The removable roof and doors are THE key selling features of the Bronco. Without this feature, it is not a lifestyle vehicle, it is just another boring retread of a 4x4 truck that would be abandoned the same way the 5g Bronco was. A fixed roof is a non-starter.
Bronco was ditched because Ford saw the future in 4dr and that nobody cared about the top... so it was replaced with the cash cow known as the Expedition.

The half and half top era sold a lot more Broncos and thus made Ford more money than the fully removable top era ever thought about doing.

https://www.broncocorral.com/articles/ford-bronco-production-numbers/

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was in the initial bandwagon that these are ugly compared to OG defender. I saw this 2 door new defender same color in person couple weeks ago pass by me slowly in a traffic jam on main street going the opposite way and it looked pretty cool and fun. It had a storage box hanging over the "design square". Looks much better than in this picture
A Fugly, over priced street machine. Another expensive mall crawler option from the formerly cool Land Rover.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Bronco was ditched because Ford saw the future in 4dr and that nobody cared about the top... so it was replaced with the cash cow known as the Expedition.

The half and half top era sold a lot more Broncos and thus made Ford more money than the fully removable top era ever thought about doing.

https://www.broncocorral.com/articles/ford-bronco-production-numbers/
The Bronco was ditched because it had terrible sales...teetering between 20K-35K units per year. Their designs were terrible and boring, the roof lacked value or imagination. It was a massive blob on wheels. Even the Bronco II outsold its Big Brother most years. Ford octupled their sales with the Expedition, but Jeep was also very successful with the giant hole in the market. Jeep launched very successful doors off, roof off, 4x4 vehicles, with almost zero competition.

If Ford launched a new Bronco with a solid, non-removable roof, I would not have ordered one. Based on the poll, I suspect 3/4s of buyers would have opted out. I would have ordered a Jeep or built a classic Blazer or Bronco. There is a reason the classic Broncos pull 6 figures, while a 1990 Eddie Bauer (insert "who the hell is Eddie Bauer comment LOL" ) can be nabbed for a few grand.

If you remove what makes the Bronco special, it is no longer a Bronco and no longer special.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The Bronco's capabilities are the key feature to me. I couldn't care less that the top comes off.
Many vehicles have ability. Few are unique. I’m not interested in also-ran. My Bronco will be modified from day one. A removable top is a rare feature these days. If you don’t care about that, or the manual transmission, you have a plethora of vehicles to choose from.

This Bronco is going into a stable of 4wds that get used weekly. It’s capabilities are a good starting point. Much like many other vehicles on the road. I like a good starting point, so won’t debate you on that, but I like unique characteristics as well, which this Bronco promises heavily on.

Last edited:

Bronco2021RV

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura rdx
Your Bronco Model
Base
What? ..you mean like the bronco sport?

edit: I’m amazed that 15% agreed with this idea of having a fixed top.
I think the important part of the question is if you have a hard top would you get your bronco sooner maybe that is the 15%.. otherwise what’s the point.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Many vehicles have ability. Few are unique. I’m not interested in also-ran. My Bronco will be modified from day one. A removable top is a rare feature these days. If you don’t care about that, or the manual transmission, you have a plethora of vehicles to choose from.
Yeah, I know. I looked at them. Was shopping the Wrangler and Gladiator versus the ZR2 Colorado versus the Bronco rumors last spring. Not a huge fan of the the Toyotas either the Taco or 4Runner. This was before the Tremor on the Ranger but I'm not interested in the 2.3L. I prefer the looks of the Bronco. What it can do especially in the Badlands or Squatch'd form. I liked the power of the 2.7L versus the other options. I'm buying the Bronco in spite of it being a convertible. Just the same as I would be had I gone with the Jeeps instead. A fixed roof would have likely saved me from having to install a more expensive exoskeleton style rack or building a small off-road trailer though I would have to a rack of some kind if I'd gone with the pickup options. If Ford somehow gets the Ranger Raptor out in the same timeframe as I'm looking to get my Bronco built it could be in play as well. I'm glad some people really enjoy the top-off aspect of the Bronco. To me, it's at best an okay option to have available and at worst a challenge to work around.

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The Bronco was ditched because it had terrible sales...teetering between 20K-35K units per year. Their designs were terrible and boring, the roof lacked value or imagination. It was a massive blob on wheels. Even the Bronco II outsold its Big Brother most years. Ford octupled their sales with the Expedition, but Jeep was also very successful with the giant hole in the market. Jeep launched very successful doors off, roof off, 4x4 vehicles, with almost zero competition.

If Ford launched a new Bronco with a solid, non-removable roof, I would not have ordered one. Based on the poll, I suspect 3/4s of buyers would have opted out. I would have ordered a Jeep or built a classic Blazer or Bronco. There is a reason the classic Broncos pull 6 figures, while a 1990 Eddie Bauer (insert "who the hell is Eddie Bauer comment LOL" ) can be nabbed for a few grand.

If you remove what makes the Bronco special, it is no longer a Bronco and no longer special.
20-30k a year is still roughly 10-15k more a year than the vaunted first gen...

The BII with the solid steel roof and close to first gen dimensions outsold any generation of Bronco by a very wide margin. It was aimed more at the Cherokee than the Wrangler though.

Anything "Bronco" has gone stupid crazy in the past few years (probably because of the 21 hype)

Anything nice (Bronco or Bronco II) is $5-10k+. Considering how many more were made and how many fewer have been lost to attrition yet they are not holding their value too bad especially since their generation of followers are not of age to go spend crazy money trying to relive their youth yet. A '66 Bronco wasn't pulling six figures or anything close to it when they were 20-30 years old.

I would love to snag a BII (my favorite Bronco) I am still kicking myself for passing on a '85 roller w/title asking $400 a two years ago before everything went nuts. Now it is rotted out 200k mile junk for $1800.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

20-30k a year is still roughly 10-15k more a year than the vaunted first gen...

The BII with the solid steel roof and close to first gen dimensions outsold any generation of Bronco by a very wide margin. It was aimed more at the Cherokee than the Wrangler though.

Anything "Bronco" has gone stupid crazy in the past few years (probably because of the 21 hype)

Anything nice (Bronco or Bronco II) is $5-10k+. Considering how many more were made and how many fewer have been lost to attrition yet they are not holding their value too bad especially since their generation of followers are not of age to go spend crazy money trying to relive their youth yet. A '66 Bronco wasn't pulling six figures or anything close to it when they were 20-30 years old.

I would love to snag a BII (my favorite Bronco) I am still kicking myself for passing on a '85 roller w/title asking $400 a two years ago before everything went nuts. Now it is rotted out 200k mile junk for $1800.
I hear everything you are saying, AND (getting back on topic) most people don't care about a fixed top Bronco and would not buy one, which is the original point. It would be a non-starter for most people here. For all our purposes, a fixed top G6 means the G6 wouldn't have been brought to life.

Sponsored

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What? ..you mean like the bronco sport?

edit: I’m amazed that 15% agreed with this idea of having a fixed top.
If you want an off-road capable truck/suv, there are lots of better riding, faster, and less expensive options.

The whole point of a Bronco or a Wrangler/Gladiator is that the doors and top come off. And you pay dearly for it.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
if I wasnt for the roof, Id probably seriously consider the defender. (not sure I could get over the reliability)

or get a raptor.
the Defender is very slick. And a bit bigger. But I tend to keep my cars for 10+ years so I'll never own (or lease) a Land Rover of any kind. Unless they are purchased by Honda or Toyota. Ha.

duc135

First Name
Duc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2014 Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Why does it have to be either or? Ford could have had two designs. One with a removeable roof and one without. It's not like Ford and other manufacturers have not successfully designed and manufactured convertible and solid roof versions of the same vehicle before. I'm firmly in the camp of non-removable roof and doors. If no one else comes out with a vehicle as capable as the 6th gen Bronco in the next few years with a fixed roof, I'll get a Bronco or Wrangler. Whichever is the better vehicle at the time.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why does it have to be either or? Ford could have had two designs. One with a removeable roof and one without. It's not like Ford and other manufacturers have not successfully designed and manufactured convertible and solid roof versions of the same vehicle before. I'm firmly in the camp of non-removable roof and doors. If no one else comes out with a vehicle as capable as the 6th gen Bronco in the next few years with a fixed roof, I'll get a Bronco or Wrangler. Whichever is the better vehicle at the time.
They did. It’s called a Bronco Sport.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you want an off-road capable truck/suv, there are lots of better riding, faster, and less expensive options.
I'm getting a 4 wheel drive with stick shift for $30k. Where else can I get that? Enlighten me.

The Manual Transmission is the key characteristic for a bunch of us. If I couldn't get a stick shift in the Bronco I'd probably buy one of those stupid overpriced Tacos instead.

There is a pretty narrow window when it is cool enough to have the top off. The top on my Mustang will stay up until at least October.

I definitely plan to take the roof off. But it won't be often. The window between too hot and two cold is really only a couple months out of the year here.
Sponsored