Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands '07 Grand Prix GXP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My Bronco has been in my possession for 4 weeks. Its seen rain twice and washed only a couple times. Drivers side is already rusting and the passengers side just started. IAG has been in contact with me about sending them back but keep an eye on yours if you have them. These won't last a winter in any states that get snow or the state uses salt. I'm not mad at IAG or starting this to bash them as they've been in contact and good about it. I'm more concerned if more people are having the same issue. I used one pair(box) on the drivers side and one pair on the passengers side so i know it wasn't just one pair. I've tried scrubbing it off with a soft brush and it doesn't come off so its definitely not dirt. I'm going to pull them off and send them back, today hopefully, and hoping the replacements don't do it too. Just keep an eye out on yours if you get some. I'm not sure if they coat them in house or outsource them but the coating needs to be more durable than that. I'm not buying $600 steps every year to replace them. I wonder if they weld all the way around the top plate if it may fix the issue. i wonder if stepping on them makes the top plate rub against the tubes and then they rust. The one that's the most rusty is the drivers side front one, which is used the most of all 4. The 2nd worst one is the drivers side rear one, which is the 2nd most used(son getting in back). The ones that are the best are the least used.

Ford Bronco IAG V2 steps rusting rust1

Ford Bronco IAG V2 steps rusting rust2

Ford Bronco IAG V2 steps rusting rust3

Ford Bronco IAG V2 steps rusting rust4
Sponsored

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Mine arrive on Monday....now I'm nervous!

OP
OP
ColeTrain84

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine arrive on Monday....now I'm nervous!
I'd run them and see. Maybe i got a bad run and my theory about the flexing plates is wrong.

Theowlhoothoot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Model 3 Performance
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Geeze. I just ordered the full sized a few days ago and now I'm worried already.

Sponsored

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IMHO, what you're seeing (rust bleed) is normal for that sort of steel exterior mod and they should not be replacing any of them. That's a dangerous can of worms for them to consider opening. Get yourself some of this stuff (below). I use it annually for my tractor mounted snow plow, and it works great. Periodic maintenance is required for painted items. Ford is not going to send out new Broncos because of corrosion, and neither should part vendors. Matte black touchup is also great for these things.

Ford Bronco IAG V2 steps rusting 1657296716029

OP
OP
ColeTrain84

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm not trying to panic anyone i'm just thinking people need to be aware or check theirs. I could have gotten a bad couple sets but my thought is that's not the case. I will be sending mine back and also talking to them about my theory on the cause. I work in manufacturing which includes a lot of welding and painting and i've seen stuff like this before and i think my theory is correct

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
I assume this will happen with normal use. There's no rubber on the step, so you are basically grinding dirt on paint with every step you take. I don't think it's anything to worry about, if anything, it's to be expected.
Sandblast and repaint for upkeep

OP
OP
ColeTrain84

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IMHO, what you're seeing (rust bleed) is normal for that sort of steal exterior mod and they should not be replacing any of them. That's a dangerous can of worms for them to consider opening. Get yourself some of this stuff (below). I use it annually for my tractor mounted snow plow, and it works great. Periodic maintenance is required for painted items. Ford is not going to send out new Broncos because of corrosion, and neither should part vendors. Matte black touchup is also great for these things.

1657296716029.png
I guess they shouldn't have sent out brackets to replace the rear strut kits that damaged roll bars then too huh?

Fonz54

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander, Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes C250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My Bronco has been in my possession for 4 weeks. Its seen rain twice and washed only a couple times. Drivers side is already rusting and the passengers side just started. IAG has been in contact with me about sending them back but keep an eye on yours if you have them. These won't last a winter in any states that get snow or the state uses salt. I'm not mad at IAG or starting this to bash them as they've been in contact and good about it. I'm more concerned if more people are having the same issue. I used one pair(box) on the drivers side and one pair on the passengers side so i know it wasn't just one pair. I've tried scrubbing it off with a soft brush and it doesn't come off so its definitely not dirt. I'm going to pull them off and send them back, today hopefully, and hoping the replacements don't do it too. Just keep an eye out on yours if you get some. I'm not sure if they coat them in house or outsource them but the coating needs to be more durable than that. I'm not buying $600 steps every year to replace them. I wonder if they weld all the way around the top plate if it may fix the issue. i wonder if stepping on them makes the top plate rub against the tubes and then they rust. The one that's the most rusty is the drivers side front one, which is used the most of all 4. The 2nd worst one is the drivers side rear one, which is the 2nd most used(son getting in back). The ones that are the best are the least used.

I am going to go outside and check mine. Will let you know what I find. I live close to Monterey Bay and we get shit loads of marine fog and bare metal corrodes pretty quickly.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ColeTrain84

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I assume this will happen with normal use. There's no rubber on the step, so you are basically grinding dirt on paint with every step you take. I don't think it's anything to worry about, if anything, it's to be expected.
Sandblast and repaint for upkeep
i would agree if it happened where i actually STEP on the top plate. This is in the corners where the top plates and the tubes meet. where my feet and dirt ground in to the paint don't meet. The passengers sides back one hasn't even been stepped on and the passengers side front one has only been stepped on one time yet they are rusting...

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine has been gravel blasted for the last 5500 miles and have held up so far. It also rarely rains here and pretty low humidity.

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
If it's a structural issue and they address it, that's a good catch. I love my V2s. i like IAG stuff, i want their hood struts next

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I guess they shouldn't have sent out brackets to replace the rear strut kits that damaged roll bars then too huh?
Totally different. The only cure for rust bleed is to make it out of plastic. One could also try a black polyurethane paintable caulk.

OP
OP
ColeTrain84

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Totally different. The only cure for rust bleed is to make it out of plastic. One could also try a black polyurethane paintable caulk.
i understand this. We use seam sealer often at my work. This appears to be more than rust bleed. This looks very much like there is flex in the top plates, causing it rub the tubes and wearing the coating thin enough to get rust breakthrough. I'll be sending them back to look at them. I have a bunch of IAG stuff already so i like their stuff but these shouldn't be rusting already in any capacity.
Sponsored