First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
EXP Series shock absorbers by ICON Vehicle Dynamics combine the performance of a fully rebuildable 2.5-inch diameter premium shock with the convenience and cost-benefits of re-using the Bronco’s factory coil spring and other components.

Ford Bronco ICON 2.5 EXP Shocks Bridge The Gap Between Spacers and Threaded Coilovers! d477984a-7c75-d60c-5a43-86df2cbefde3

EXP bridges the gap between spacer lifts and threaded coilovers, providing suspension lift and custom-tuned suspension performance all in an economical package.
Ford Bronco ICON 2.5 EXP Shocks Bridge The Gap Between Spacers and Threaded Coilovers! EXP-b

EXP Series is based on ICON’s proven 2.5-inch diameter Aluminum Series shock absorber, featuring a one-piece impact-extruded aluminum shock body. Hard anodizing provides a great-looking, consistent finish with superior resistance to abrasion and corrosion. The massive 7/8-inch diameter shaft is induction hardened and chrome plated. The one-piece digressive piston design is valved specifically for the Bronco to provide unsurpassed performance and ride quality on and off-road.
Ford Bronco ICON 2.5 EXP Shocks Bridge The Gap Between Spacers and Threaded Coilovers! EXP-a

The 6061 billet aluminum coil spring seat is CNC machined to fit the molded heavy duty urethane coil spring seat that is specifically design for fit each of the Bronco model’s OE coil spring. A series of snap-ring grooves machined into the shock body provide easily-selectable ride height adjustment from 0 to 3” over stock, depending on the Bronco’s OE suspension system (HOSS 1.0 or 2.0). EXP shocks use the factory shaft-up orientation, with the shaft ends machined to re-use the Bronco’s OE upper shock and spring mounts.

Ford Bronco ICON 2.5 EXP Shocks Bridge The Gap Between Spacers and Threaded Coilovers! 94501c71-e63a-d41c-edc3-df78d0327ff5

EXP shocks are custom tuned by ICON engineers to maximize damping performance when used in conjunction with the Bronco’s stock coil springs. The increased piston size and shock oil volume provided by the 2.5-inch diameter aluminum body provide superior heat dissipation compared to the smaller, steel bodied OE shocks, resulting in longer-lasting shock performance over prolonged use at higher speeds and through rougher terrain. For those who would like to further tune their suspension, EXP shocks are fully re-valvable (and rebuildable) by any qualified shock technician, with parts available from ICON.

Ford Bronco ICON 2.5 EXP Shocks Bridge The Gap Between Spacers and Threaded Coilovers! 862346e8-3110-c9c4-d0f1-57b1dbccf114

FEATURES & BENEFITS
  • Vehicle specific design for 2021-UP Ford Bronco with HOSS 1.0 or HOSS 2.0 Suspension Package
  • Vehicle specific tuned for superior shock damping and control
  • 2.5 Aluminum Series Shock with Internal Reservoir
  • HOSS 1.0 version: Adjustable ride height from 1-3/8" to 2-1/2"” of lift over stock (front) with the use of snap ring
  • HOSS 2.0 version: Adjustable ride height from 0-2” of lift over stock (front) with the use of snap ring
  • Utilizes factory coil and coil hardware
  • Inverted shaft up design featuring 7/8” diameter, induction hardened, chrome plated shaft
  • One-piece, impact extruded, hard anodized aluminum cylinder offers excellent corrosion resistance and consistent finish
  • CNC machined 6061 aluminum components with a black anodized finish
  • PTFE lined spherical bearing for extended longevity and minimal deflection
  • 100% Bolt-on, no cutting or welding necessary for installation
  • Fully rebuildable and re-tunable
  • Sold by EACH

PART NUMDESCRIPTION
MSRP
WEIGHT
4860121-UP BRONCO HOSS 1.0 PKG 2.5 FRONT EXP COILOVER
524.95​
13​
4861121-UP BRONCO HOSS 1.0 PKG 2.5 REAR EXP COILOVER
524.95​
13​
4860221-UP BRONCO HOSS 2.0 PKG 2.5 FRONT EXP COILOVER
524.95​
13​
4861221-UP BRONCO HOSS 2.0 PKG 2.5 REAR EXP COILOVER
524.95​
13​

Lift Height Charts for the various snap ring grooves:

Ford Bronco ICON 2.5 EXP Shocks Bridge The Gap Between Spacers and Threaded Coilovers! Bronco EXP Groove Specs-FRONT

Ford Bronco ICON 2.5 EXP Shocks Bridge The Gap Between Spacers and Threaded Coilovers! Bronco EXP Groove Specs-REAR
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dusty at ICON

Dusty at ICON

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hey guys, above is our boilerplate info for these awesome new EXP shocks, but I wanted to go informal and give you my personal thoughts on these, as I think they're going to be a great option for many of us.

Some of you have noted my hints dropped here and there about our upcoming EXP shocks, and of course the gap in our Suspension System Stages list (these will soon fill out Stages 1 and 2). What I love about these EXP shocks is that they occupy the middle ground between inexpensive spacer lifts and the admittedly pricey threaded coilover kits sold by us and the other off-road suspension companies. What you get is a bona-fide, racing style, rebuildable, revalvable shock with a built-in suspension lift, at about a 40-45% savings versus our base threaded coilovers. Of course, you're re-using the stock coil spring and upper coil mount, which is where the savings comes from, and that also results in some performance compromises when compared to our full kits with our custom-designed coil springs.

So last week I was out at Easter Jeep Safari in our 4-door ICON Bronco, on which we were testing the final valving of these 2.5 EXP shocks. The Bronco had already had about 1,000 miles of testing on this setup, including extensive passes through the high speed whoops at our favorite testing area up by Barstow, CA. But I got in it at Riverside, drove to Moab, wheeled it all week, and drove it back to California on these, and I was extremely pleased with how they performed with everything we threw at it.

Some of you know my personal Bronco is a 2-door Base which, despite it's shortcomings I do tend to push fairly hard off-road. Mine has the HOSS 1.0 Hitachi shocks so it's not a fair comparison but still, this thing rode so much nicer and performed so much better off-road, than mine. Highway driving was a dream, about what we've come to expect from the Bronco. Rock crawling was great, although this was my first time driving a Sasquatch-equipped rig in the rocks, so I was a bit spoiled with the lockers and other equipment. But the EXP shocks performed flawlessly, no rebound bouncing when comping off rocks. But where this thing really shined? Going fast in the dirt!

One of our runs was led by Ultra4 driver Dustin Sexton and 4600-class driver Bailey Cole (in his 4600-class Bronco), and it was a blast trying to keep up with those guys in the fast sections. I'm not going to say I was able to, as my skills aren't up to theirs, but it was a hell of a lot of fun trying. The Bronco handled awesome, taking corners, banks, whoops, etc in stride, as fast as I was comfortable pushing it. At each stop I placed a hand on the shock bodies to see if they were heating up and they never got past lukewarm.

Anyhow I'm really looking forward to getting a set of these on to my 2-door. While I'd love to have full ICON threaded coilovers, and as an employee we could make that happen, I really think the EXP shocks are the right choice for the build philosophy of my 2-door, which has always been more of a budget performance build.

Just thought I'd give you guys some of my thoughts on these!

Ford Bronco ICON 2.5 EXP Shocks Bridge The Gap Between Spacers and Threaded Coilovers! 20220412_0376

Last edited:

LoneWolf1903

Badlands
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey guys, above is our boilerplate info for these awesome new EXP shocks, but I wanted to go informal and give you my personal thoughts on these, as I think they're going to be a great option for many of us.

Some of you have noted my hints dropped here and there about our upcoming EXP shocks, and of course the gap in our Suspension System Stages list (these will soon fill out Stages 1 and 2). What I love about these EXP shocks is that they occupy the middle ground between inexpensive spacer lifts and the admittedly pricey threaded coilover kits sold by us and the other off-road suspension companies. What you get is a bona-fide, racing style, rebuildable, revalvable shock with a built-in suspension lift, at about a 40-45% savings versus our base threaded coilovers. Of course, you're re-using the stock coil spring and upper coil mount, which is where the savings comes from, and that also results in some performance compromises when compared to our full kits with our custom-designed coil springs.

So last week I was out at Easter Jeep Safari in our 4-door ICON Bronco, on which we were testing the final valving of these 2.5 EXP shocks. The Bronco had already had about 1,000 miles of testing on this setup, including extensive passes through the high speed whoops at our favorite testing area up by Barstow, CA. But I got in it at Riverside, drove to Moab, wheeled it all week, and drove it back to California on these, and I was extremely pleased with how they performed with everything we threw at it.

Some of you know my personal Bronco is a 2-door Base which, despite it's shortcomings I do tend to push fairly hard off-road. Mine has the HOSS 1.0 Hitachi shocks so it's not a fair comparison but still, this thing rode so much nicer and performed so much better off-road, than mine. Highway driving was a dream, about what we've come to expect from the Bronco. Rock crawling was great, although this was my first time driving a Sasquatch-equipped rig in the rocks, so I was a bit spoiled with the lockers and other equipment. But the EXP shocks performed flawlessly, no rebound bouncing when comping off rocks. But where this thing really shined? Going fast in the dirt!

One of our runs was led by Ultra4 driver Dustin Sexton and 4600-class driver Bailey Cole (in his 4600-class Bronco), and it was a blast trying to keep up with those guys in the fast sections. I'm not going to say I was able to, as my skills aren't up to theirs, but it was a hell of a lot of fun trying. The Bronco handled awesome, taking corners, banks, whoops, etc in stride, as fast as I was comfortable pushing it. At each stop I placed a hand on the shock bodies to see if they were heating up and they never got past lukewarm.

Anyhow I'm really looking forward to getting a set of these on to my 2-door. While I'd love to have full ICON threaded coilovers, and as an employee we could make that happen, I really think the EXP shocks are the right choice for the build philosophy of my 2-door, which has always been more of a budget performance build.

Ford Bronco ICON 2.5 EXP Shocks Bridge The Gap Between Spacers and Threaded Coilovers! 20220412_0376
I’ve got aBadlands non Sasquatch. Do you think these shocks are better than the Bilstein shocks that come stock?

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

At the lowest setting, is it increasing preload on the factory springs or is the overall shock longer? How harsh does the ride become when using the highest setting?

cgv

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badsquatch, Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does this change suspension travel at all?

I realize it uses stock springs, but I wasn't sure if it's the springs or the shocks that limit the stock suspension travel.

Sponsored

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Does this change suspension travel at all?

I realize it uses stock springs, but I wasn't sure if it's the springs or the shocks that limit the stock suspension travel.
I'm also curious what the overall length is on these...since they are sold "each" I think I'll buy a set for the rear and try to use them on the FRONT!!!
🤣

Johnabx

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm also curious what the overall length is on these...since they are sold "each" I think I'll buy a set for the rear and try to use them on the FRONT!!!
🤣
I was actually wondering the same thing 😬

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I had pretty much decided to replace my Hoss 1.0 coilovers with Hoss 2.0 (High Lift) coilovers. Now I'm reconsidering, pending answers to the posts about preload and suspension travel.

Sponsored

CO_OK_121

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Outer Lands
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
How does the performance compare between Icon EXP with HOSS 1.0 versus Icon EXP with HOSS 2.0 coils? Coil springs are relatively inexpensive, and it might be worthwhile to me to upgrade the springs at the same time.

PowderHound

Wildtrak
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
What does a man need to do in order to get 37s properly on a hoss 3.0 wildtrak?

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

I'm wondering how the performance and ride of Hoss 1.0 with EXP shocks compares to the OEM Hoss 2.0 suspension. Can you makes that comparison?

Rkgzx9leftcoast

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I would imagine on the higher perches, it's comparable to using spring perch collars, making the springs a little shorter and the ride firmer
Sponsored