First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hands down the best bumper option I’ve seen so far.
Yeah I like it too, although I did lobby to make it even more minimal than what it turned out. But I think it's a good fit for where I'm going with this particular Bronco.
Sponsored

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just trying to forget how Billstein offers their 5100s at $100ea

i get these are a little bigger with more marketing behind it but dang

OP
OP
Dusty at ICON

Dusty at ICON

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base

And Rancho's are half the price of the 5100's LOL. But if you don't find the value in our product and you just need a cheap shock I can respect that. As I've said numerous times this isn't the product for every use-case.

BTW I'm amused that you think there's more marketing behind us than Bilstein :cool: .

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And Rancho's are half the price of the 5100's LOL. But if you don't find the value in our product and you just need a cheap shock I can respect that. As I've said numerous times this isn't the product for every use-case.

BTW I'm amused that you think there's more marketing behind us than Bilstein :cool: .
Ranchos are actually about the same price these days LOL but these are most comparable to the Billi 5100s, no? I was under the impression the valve type and shock stroke was the same, with the diameter being ~0.5” bigger on these.

theres hardly, if any, tech specs given with Icon stuff, only what seems to come down the pipe from marketing. Then when I ask for something as simple as a stroke length, I get the “it’s proprietary to our engineering dept” response, which is why I’ve never ordered because there’s no way to compare to other mfgs and make a good decision :)feel free to correct me if I’m off base as we just have no way of knowing.

But yea for their 5100 line especially, Billstein does sleep on their marketing by comparison (probably on purpose to sell more of the 6100/8100 series). Most people don’t even know the 5100s are extended :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dusty at ICON

Dusty at ICON

Base
First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ranchos are actually about the same price these days LOL but these are most comparable to the Billi 5100s, no? I was under the impression the valve type and shock stroke was the same, with the diameter being ~0.5” bigger on these.

theres hardly, if any, tech specs given with Icon stuff, only what seems to come down the pipe from marketing. Then when I ask for something as simple as a stroke length, I get the “it’s proprietary to our engineering dept” response, which is why I’ve never ordered because there’s no way to compare to other mfgs and make a good decision :)feel free to correct me if I’m off base as we just have no way of knowing.

But yea for their 5100 line especially, Billstein does sleep on their marketing by comparison (probably on purpose to sell more of the 6100/8100 series). Most people don’t even know the 5100s are extended :ROFLMAO:
I offered to try to get those lengths for you. But you seem to be ignoring the fact that the stroke length is inconsequential in this case. This product is not designed to increase your travel numbers at all. It's designed to work with the stock coil springs, and therefore maintain the stock amount of travel so as to not over-compress or over-extend the stock coil spring. The value propositions are that it's a heavier duty shock, rebuildable, revalvable if you want, more fluid volume for better heat dissipation, and that the lift heights are all built in. You can go back over the specifications I've laid out in this thread if you want to compare things like shock body size and materials used, shaft diameter, etc. But this is NOT in the same class as a Bilstein 5100. Again, if you just need a cheap shock that will "do the job", there are other products out there that will do that and you are welcome to them. This shock has variable lift heights built in, with similar materials and damper performance of our coilover shocks that cost considerably more. That's obviously not anything that interests you so like I said, you are not the right customer for this product. No hard feelings, and no need to keep trying to beat us up about it.

Oh, and Rancho 5000's are about $59. I'll find you the link if you need it :) (although, like the 5100 you keep insisting is comparable, there is no direct-fit for the Bronco coilover assembly, even at stock height, let alone with built-in lift)

Sponsored

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I offered to try to get those lengths for you. But you seem to be ignoring the fact that the stroke length is inconsequential in this case. This product is not designed to increase your travel numbers at all.
Would you be able to get the stroke length and spring rate for the threaded coilover lineup? This is where I got that response, thanks!

And depending on your Bronco stock config, the travel numbers change so I’m not quite sure what you mean when you say it doesn’t increase travel. We don’t even know which of the travel numbers these start with.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dusty at ICON

Dusty at ICON

Base
First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Would you be able to get the stroke length and spring rate for the threaded coilover lineup? This is where I got that response, thanks!
I've already posted extended and compressed lengths for the threaded coilovers over in our thread for those, maybe you missed that. You can do the math to get the stroke lengths. I do not have the spring rates but if I could get them, it would be difficult to compare them to the single-rate off-the-shelf springs used by most of the industry. We design proprietary springs for each vehicle application, normally a dual-rate spring but for the longer travel of the Bronco's rear suspension it's a triple-rate spring. If you wish to further discuss the coilovers, and the springs that come with them, you are welcome to move the conversation over to that thread so we can keep this one focused on EXP shocks.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Rancho is not a Bilstein, 5100 are considering the starting point for offroad use. Next step up is replacement shocks with increased fluid and shaft size. Finally you have coil overs which are expensive and higher maintenance.

Why I'm interested in these shocks are:

Thicker shock shaft/stronger I have pulled apart shocks multiple times offroading when fully flexed with 3 tires on the ground.

Spring can be swapped, looking forward to there being aftermarket overlanding springs for increased capacity for running around with all my camping gear.

Adjustable lift to cover adding bumpers and skid plates (350-400lbs of weight).

Wheel travel for 3 wheeling a bronco.

4avor8ntfair

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL-non SAS, 2.3 auto
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

EXP Series shock absorbers by ICON Vehicle Dynamics combine the performance of a fully rebuildable 2.5-inch diameter premium shock with the convenience and cost-benefits of re-using the Bronco’s factory coil spring and other components.

d477984a-7c75-d60c-5a43-86df2cbefde3.jpeg

EXP bridges the gap between spacer lifts and threaded coilovers, providing suspension lift and custom-tuned suspension performance all in an economical package.
EXP-b.jpg

EXP Series is based on ICON’s proven 2.5-inch diameter Aluminum Series shock absorber, featuring a one-piece impact-extruded aluminum shock body. Hard anodizing provides a great-looking, consistent finish with superior resistance to abrasion and corrosion. The massive 7/8-inch diameter shaft is induction hardened and chrome plated. The one-piece digressive piston design is valved specifically for the Bronco to provide unsurpassed performance and ride quality on and off-road.
EXP-a.jpg

The 6061 billet aluminum coil spring seat is CNC machined to fit the molded heavy duty urethane coil spring seat that is specifically design for fit each of the Bronco model’s OE coil spring. A series of snap-ring grooves machined into the shock body provide easily-selectable ride height adjustment from 0 to 3” over stock, depending on the Bronco’s OE suspension system (HOSS 1.0 or 2.0). EXP shocks use the factory shaft-up orientation, with the shaft ends machined to re-use the Bronco’s OE upper shock and spring mounts.

94501c71-e63a-d41c-edc3-df78d0327ff5.jpeg

EXP shocks are custom tuned by ICON engineers to maximize damping performance when used in conjunction with the Bronco’s stock coil springs. The increased piston size and shock oil volume provided by the 2.5-inch diameter aluminum body provide superior heat dissipation compared to the smaller, steel bodied OE shocks, resulting in longer-lasting shock performance over prolonged use at higher speeds and through rougher terrain. For those who would like to further tune their suspension, EXP shocks are fully re-valvable (and rebuildable) by any qualified shock technician, with parts available from ICON.

862346e8-3110-c9c4-d0f1-57b1dbccf114.jpg

FEATURES & BENEFITS
  • Vehicle specific design for 2021-UP Ford Bronco with HOSS 1.0 or HOSS 2.0 Suspension Package
  • Vehicle specific tuned for superior shock damping and control
  • 2.5 Aluminum Series Shock with Internal Reservoir
  • HOSS 1.0 version: Adjustable ride height from 1-3/8" to 2-1/2"” of lift over stock (front) with the use of snap ring
  • HOSS 2.0 version: Adjustable ride height from 0-2” of lift over stock (front) with the use of snap ring
  • Utilizes factory coil and coil hardware
  • Inverted shaft up design featuring 7/8” diameter, induction hardened, chrome plated shaft
  • One-piece, impact extruded, hard anodized aluminum cylinder offers excellent corrosion resistance and consistent finish
  • CNC machined 6061 aluminum components with a black anodized finish
  • PTFE lined spherical bearing for extended longevity and minimal deflection
  • 100% Bolt-on, no cutting or welding necessary for installation
  • Fully rebuildable and re-tunable
  • Sold by EACH

PART NUMDESCRIPTION
MSRP
WEIGHT
4860121-UP BRONCO HOSS 1.0 PKG 2.5 FRONT EXP COILOVER
524.95​
13​
4861121-UP BRONCO HOSS 1.0 PKG 2.5 REAR EXP COILOVER
524.95​
13​
4860221-UP BRONCO HOSS 2.0 PKG 2.5 FRONT EXP COILOVER
524.95​
13​
4861221-UP BRONCO HOSS 2.0 PKG 2.5 REAR EXP COILOVER
524.95​
13​

Lift Height Charts for the various snap ring grooves:

Bronco EXP Groove Specs-FRONT.jpg

Bronco EXP Groove Specs-REAR.jpg
Hey Dusty,
I think this, or this plus the UCA, could be a good option for my non-SAS Badlands that’s a daily driver that I only take off-road occasionally, but DO want to be able to take on challenging trails.
-would I be able to reuse the non-SAS spring, or would it be better to get the SAS springs (or something else)?
-I currently have a level kit. Would some combination of the front and rear grooves level out the Bronco? Is that why the front max is 2” and the rear max is 1.75?

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would think these are more comparable to the 6112s than the 5100s.

Sponsored

RainbowStix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve heard from reputable suspension people that Icon uses cheap Chinese hardware inside their shocks, which is prone to failure and hard to rebuild. I previously had Icon coil overs on a 4Runner and liked the ride, but that info is concerning. Any comments on it?
So does Fox, and even King albeit to a lesser degree depending on how deep into the weeds you want to get. If you don’t like Chinese, stay away from 90% everything aftermarket. Made in USA doesn’t mean the metal, circuits and other materials isn’t cheap and doesn’t come from China :ROFLMAO:

common complaints are squeaking, and bad ride for a DD out of the box about Icon, but nothing about shock failure…

BroncoPls!

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Rivian R1S, 22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

EXP Series shock absorbers by ICON Vehicle Dynamics combine the performance of a fully rebuildable 2.5-inch diameter premium shock with the convenience and cost-benefits of re-using the Bronco’s factory coil spring and other components.

d477984a-7c75-d60c-5a43-86df2cbefde3.jpeg

EXP bridges the gap between spacer lifts and threaded coilovers, providing suspension lift and custom-tuned suspension performance all in an economical package.
EXP-b.jpg

EXP Series is based on ICON’s proven 2.5-inch diameter Aluminum Series shock absorber, featuring a one-piece impact-extruded aluminum shock body. Hard anodizing provides a great-looking, consistent finish with superior resistance to abrasion and corrosion. The massive 7/8-inch diameter shaft is induction hardened and chrome plated. The one-piece digressive piston design is valved specifically for the Bronco to provide unsurpassed performance and ride quality on and off-road.
EXP-a.jpg

The 6061 billet aluminum coil spring seat is CNC machined to fit the molded heavy duty urethane coil spring seat that is specifically design for fit each of the Bronco model’s OE coil spring. A series of snap-ring grooves machined into the shock body provide easily-selectable ride height adjustment from 0 to 3” over stock, depending on the Bronco’s OE suspension system (HOSS 1.0 or 2.0). EXP shocks use the factory shaft-up orientation, with the shaft ends machined to re-use the Bronco’s OE upper shock and spring mounts.

94501c71-e63a-d41c-edc3-df78d0327ff5.jpeg

EXP shocks are custom tuned by ICON engineers to maximize damping performance when used in conjunction with the Bronco’s stock coil springs. The increased piston size and shock oil volume provided by the 2.5-inch diameter aluminum body provide superior heat dissipation compared to the smaller, steel bodied OE shocks, resulting in longer-lasting shock performance over prolonged use at higher speeds and through rougher terrain. For those who would like to further tune their suspension, EXP shocks are fully re-valvable (and rebuildable) by any qualified shock technician, with parts available from ICON.

862346e8-3110-c9c4-d0f1-57b1dbccf114.jpg

FEATURES & BENEFITS
  • Vehicle specific design for 2021-UP Ford Bronco with HOSS 1.0 or HOSS 2.0 Suspension Package
  • Vehicle specific tuned for superior shock damping and control
  • 2.5 Aluminum Series Shock with Internal Reservoir
  • HOSS 1.0 version: Adjustable ride height from 1-3/8" to 2-1/2"” of lift over stock (front) with the use of snap ring
  • HOSS 2.0 version: Adjustable ride height from 0-2” of lift over stock (front) with the use of snap ring
  • Utilizes factory coil and coil hardware
  • Inverted shaft up design featuring 7/8” diameter, induction hardened, chrome plated shaft
  • One-piece, impact extruded, hard anodized aluminum cylinder offers excellent corrosion resistance and consistent finish
  • CNC machined 6061 aluminum components with a black anodized finish
  • PTFE lined spherical bearing for extended longevity and minimal deflection
  • 100% Bolt-on, no cutting or welding necessary for installation
  • Fully rebuildable and re-tunable
  • Sold by EACH

PART NUMDESCRIPTION
MSRP
WEIGHT
4860121-UP BRONCO HOSS 1.0 PKG 2.5 FRONT EXP COILOVER
524.95​
13​
4861121-UP BRONCO HOSS 1.0 PKG 2.5 REAR EXP COILOVER
524.95​
13​
4860221-UP BRONCO HOSS 2.0 PKG 2.5 FRONT EXP COILOVER
524.95​
13​
4861221-UP BRONCO HOSS 2.0 PKG 2.5 REAR EXP COILOVER
524.95​
13​

Lift Height Charts for the various snap ring grooves:

Bronco EXP Groove Specs-FRONT.jpg

Bronco EXP Groove Specs-REAR.jpg
I know this thread is a couple of months old, but it did help me get over my paralysis of what to do about the 2" rake my Badlands SAS has after adding aftermarket bumper and skids. Just ordered a pair of 48602 for the front in hopes of leveling it.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Hey Dusty,
I think this, or this plus the UCA, could be a good option for my non-SAS Badlands that’s a daily driver that I only take off-road occasionally, but DO want to be able to take on challenging trails.
-would I be able to reuse the non-SAS spring, or would it be better to get the SAS springs (or something else)?
-I currently have a level kit. Would some combination of the front and rear grooves level out the Bronco? Is that why the front max is 2” and the rear max is 1.75?
Did you ever get an answer to this through customer service or PM?

4avor8ntfair

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL-non SAS, 2.3 auto
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No I didn’t. I ended up with the Zone UCA’s and just upgraded to the Zone 1221 kit for a little extra clearance and the existing Bilsteins.

OP
OP
Dusty at ICON

Dusty at ICON

Base
First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hey Dusty,
No I didn’t. I ended up with the Zone UCA’s and just upgraded to the Zone 1221 kit for a little extra clearance and the existing Bilsteins.
Sorry I didn't realize I had missed a question addressed to me. I'm glad you've found a solution you're happy with, but I'll go ahead and try to answer your question for Rick and anyone else who was wondering the same thing.

Yes you can use EXP's with either the Sasquatch or non-Sasquatch Badlands coil springs. So with the EXP's at their lowest height setting, you'll end up at Sasquatch height, and can go up from there using the higher grooves.

And yes, you can select a higher groove in the front to level it out. On the HOSS 2.0 version EXP's, the lowest of the 3 grooves yields stock Sasquatch height. The middle groove on the front shock lifts the front 1.375" to level it. The top groove on both the front and rear shocks levels the truck with a 2" (front) lift over stock Badlands+Sasquatch height.
Sponsored

Last edited: