steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Everything is a compromise. Usually off road performance as at the expense of on road performance. Any change is going to be different. Maybe better, worse, or just different than factory. Many people go through a couple of changes before they find what they are looking for.

I would say if factory ride is the most important, I wouldn't change it until you need to. I started changing things because I was always lifting a rear tire. I've done several things to increase articulation, but it's at the expense of on road performance. Now, my highway ride at 75mph is still good, it's just different. I still need my vehicle to make long cross country trips and then perform off road once I get where I'm going. It's all a compromise.

The Icons, or any other coilovers, probably won't feel like the factory setup, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

If factory ride but increased rear movement is your focus, I'd start with the upper and lower rear trailing arms and rear track bar. The factory hard rubber bushings don't allow much movement. Replacing with uniballs, johnny joints, etc. will allow the axle to move quit a bit more but still maintain the factory coilovers.
I've modded many vehicles. Mostly with little money on very used cars, so results were a mixture of hits and misses.
Maintaining factory ride is not my goal. I think it can be improved while maintaining the composure of the chassis.

I have a '21 Badlands Sasquatch Lux (heavy) with a fridge in the back and soon a winch up front.

From the factory (even before the fridge) I feel it's a bit harsh with fast transitions, e.g. speed bump / pot hole. The back end gets unsettled. Noticeable when cornering at speed, the back end likes to hop out.

It does well on gradual whoops, as long as you don't increase speed and turn them into washboards. Also the interstate comfort is great. But this leaves a lot of body roll and dive when driving the paved back roads hard.

I was able to push it hard on a well maintained gravel forest road (40mph to 60+mph) in Baja mode (should be called Rally mode). 4H no lockers. No washboards, nice whoops, a little air, and some decent rotation from the rear around the corners. I don't recall it being too harsh and less friction from the gravel vs asphalt let the Bronco slide a bit and lessen the feeling of body roll. I was very impressed.

I did hit a RR track at speed. Was disappointed in the landing impact. I didn't think I was going too fast for the suspension, but it's been many years since I've regularly jumped RR crossings and bridges. My internal calibration is probably off.

I know I have many competing desires; one of the reasons the Icon CDEV is on the top of my list to try.
I know the Bronco won't turn the same numbers on the track as the C4 corvette I used to own with all poly bushings, re-valved Bilstein selectable shocks, lowered with scrap polyethylene spacers from a friends shop, and max negative camber, but that doesn't mean it can't be as fun when pushing it hard, just slower.

And yes, slow speed off road the rear tire lifts to quickly. We need as much articulation in the rear as possible to make up for the IFS. And with all the low hanging parts, it needs at least another inch of clearance. The Icon stage 8 kit comes with rear arms and track bar, that is the one I'm looking at.

If the Bronco Raptor wasn't so wide I would probably just get one.
Sponsored

OddBall88

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've modded many vehicles. Mostly with little money on very used cars, so results were a mixture of hits and misses.
Maintaining factory ride is not my goal. I think it can be improved while maintaining the composure of the chassis.

I have a '21 Badlands Sasquatch Lux (heavy) with a fridge in the back and soon a winch up front.

From the factory (even before the fridge) I feel it's a bit harsh with fast transitions, e.g. speed bump / pot hole. The back end gets unsettled. Noticeable when cornering at speed, the back end likes to hop out.

It does well on gradual whoops, as long as you don't increase speed and turn them into washboards. Also the interstate comfort is great. But this leaves a lot of body roll and dive when driving the paved back roads hard.

I was able to push it hard on a well maintained gravel forest road (40mph to 60+mph) in Baja mode (should be called Rally mode). 4H no lockers. No washboards, nice whoops, a little air, and some decent rotation from the rear around the corners. I don't recall it being too harsh and less friction from the gravel vs asphalt let the Bronco slide a bit and lessen the feeling of body roll. I was very impressed.

I did hit a RR track at speed. Was disappointed in the landing impact. I didn't think I was going too fast for the suspension, but it's been many years since I've regularly jumped RR crossings and bridges. My internal calibration is probably off.

I know I have many competing desires; one of the reasons the Icon CDEV is on the top of my list to try.
I know the Bronco won't turn the same numbers on the track as the C4 corvette I used to own with all poly bushings, re-valved Bilstein selectable shocks, lowered with scrap polyethylene spacers from a friends shop, and max negative camber, but that doesn't mean it can't be as fun when pushing it hard, just slower.

And yes, slow speed off road the rear tire lifts to quickly. We need as much articulation in the rear as possible to make up for the IFS. And with all the low hanging parts, it needs at least another inch of clearance. The Icon stage 8 kit comes with rear arms and track bar, that is the one I'm looking at.

If the Bronco Raptor wasn't so wide I would probably just get one.
After having the stage 8 kit for around 10k miles now I can say it’s worth every penny. The self adjusting stuff for cornering is so nice. The system makes me realize electronically controlled shocks is the future for off-road shocks. Also on a recent trail ride I decided to push it a bit hard and was leaving a stock badlands in the dust. Like there was no chance of them keeping up with me.

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After having the stage 8 kit for around 10k miles now I can say it’s worth every penny. The self adjusting stuff for cornering is so nice. The system makes me realize electronically controlled shocks is the future for off-road shocks. Also on a recent trail ride I decided to push it a bit hard and was leaving a stock badlands in the dust. Like there was no chance of them keeping up with me.
100% agree.

LeTech has electronically controlled replacement shocks for the Mercedes G Class.

I'm surprised Fox doesn't market their live valve tech on consumer replacement shocks.

ChrisInSC

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cactus Grey Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OddBall88

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In case any one was thinking of getting the DV8 inner fenders they do work with the icon system with some small trimming of the fender liner. Also has the added benefit of adding a little protection to the resi.
Ford Bronco ICON Complete Coilover Suspension Systems (Stages 3 through 8) 32F46A04-7A32-4B15-A58A-87ED9740218E

Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'll be doing a full post, but there is a major design flaw in the Icon Stage 3+ kits (48700c & 48710c), especially when paired to Icon UCA's.

Icon has already admitted multiple flaws with the product design, but what they haven't admitted to yet is that the pinching of the res hose going between the coil over body and the UCA can see the res hose fittings back off, and your coil over will lose its fluid on the next compression. Physically impossible to fit the hose in the space provided between their UCA and the coil over body. Doesn't matter what angle you try to set the reservoir at.

I reached out to Icon a week ago for a solution and have not heard back after the initial introduction email. Multiple emails, including messages to Dusty here on the forum, have gone unanswered.

My Bronco is now unsafe to drive until a solution is found after spending $5K+on their product. How safe is a coilover to drive after it's leaked at least an ounce of shock oil on to the pavement? Who knows - I've asked Icon multiple times now without a response.

Buyer beware.

@Dusty at ICON

Tomfordgt

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F450
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'll be doing a full post, but there is a major design flaw in the Icon Stage 3+ kits (48700c & 48710c), especially when paired to Icon UCA's.

Icon has already admitted multiple flaws with the product design, but what they haven't admitted to yet is that the pinching of the res hose going between the coil over body and the UCA can see the res hose fittings back off, and your coil over will lose its fluid on the next compression. Physically impossible to fit the hose in the space provided between their UCA and the coil over body. Doesn't matter what angle you try to set the reservoir at.

I reached out to Icon a week ago for a solution and have not heard back after the initial introduction email. Multiple emails, including messages to Dusty here on the forum, have gone unanswered.

My Bronco is now unsafe to drive until a solution is found after spending $5K+on their product. How safe is a coilover to drive after it's leaked at least an ounce of shock oil on to the pavement? Who knows - I've asked Icon multiple times now without a response.

Buyer beware.

@Dusty at ICON
I'm glad that I just saw this. I have the stage 3 kit sitting in my basket at Northridge waiting for them to answer a few questions. What is the "major design flaw with this kit"?
Thanks

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm glad that I just saw this. I have the stage 3 kit sitting in my basket at Northridge waiting for them to answer a few questions. What is the "major design flaw with this kit"?
Thanks
There have been a couple of issues, but he is mostly talking about clearance of the hose for the external reservoir. The IR coilovers don't have that issue.

DREWR13

Badlands
First Name
DREW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Miata....
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well I put my Icons through some work yesterday. Had a blast and snapped my inner tie rod 😂. swapped a spare in and kept on wheeling.
Ford Bronco ICON Complete Coilover Suspension Systems (Stages 3 through 8) 1664238682640

Ford Bronco ICON Complete Coilover Suspension Systems (Stages 3 through 8) 1664238699556

Ford Bronco ICON Complete Coilover Suspension Systems (Stages 3 through 8) 1664238736579

Offroadalliance

Base
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadalliance.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

Buyer beware.

@Dusty at ICON
I spoke with Icon recently on this subject on behalf of a customer and they've fixed the issue with longer hoses. If you give them a call they said they'll send out new hoses to those who got the incorrect length ones.

Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I spoke with Icon recently on this subject on behalf of a customer and they've fixed the issue with longer hoses. If you give them a call they said they'll send out new hoses to those who got the incorrect length ones.
You are absolutely right and I just had the new version installed. This kit is legit with the revised front coils.

I’ll be doing yet another update with photos of the new versus old front coilovers for posterity sake in case anyone gets ahold of the old coilovers.

Icon came through in the end, but there was a 2 week period where I had issues contacting the right guy. Scott came through in the end and that’s all that matters.

So yes - the new hose routing combined with the plates to relocate the sway bar fixes all major issues I had with the stage 6-7 front coilover kit (part number 48700c specifically).

DangerMTBBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You are absolutely right and I just had the new version installed. This kit is legit with the revised front coils.

I’ll be doing yet another update with photos of the new versus old front coilovers for posterity sake in case anyone gets ahold of the old coilovers.

Icon came through in the end, but there was a 2 week period where I had issues contacting the right guy. Scott came through in the end and that’s all that matters.

So yes - the new hose routing combined with the plates to relocate the sway bar fixes all major issues I had with the stage 6-7 front coilover kit (part number 48700c specifically).
I am thinking of buying the Stage 7 or 8 kit and was hesitant after your posts and a few others online. This helps restore my confidence in Icon. Shit happens for sure but its how you handle it that counts.

Now if I could just find a phone number to call them before dropping 10k on suspension to ask some questions that would be great!

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am thinking of buying the Stage 7 or 8 kit and was hesitant after your posts and a few others online. This helps restore my confidence in Icon. Shit happens for sure but its how you handle it that counts.

Now if I could just find a phone number to call them before dropping 10k on suspension to ask some questions that would be great!
This new revised version is now what you expect for the price IMO. I’m now incredibly happy with my purchase. Just make sure you get the new front coils. If you go with the electronically controlled version, they already had proper routing.

I have tons of room now with the billet UCA at default position so tubular UCA will be swimming in space for the hoses.

Ingridthehorrible

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Chevy 2500HD, 2008 Buell 1125R, 98 Buell S1W
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

@Theherofails

Good to hear your outcome was positive with the issues you had.

Question, in your opinion is the sway bar relocation plate necessary. I've seen mixed comments in the thread related to the Badlands needing it with electronic sway bar disconnect. Have the front and rear CDEV coilovers, and tubular UCA on order. Didn't order a stage kit as plan to go with the RockJock rear links and panhard. Was wondering if I needed to reach out to Dusty or Scott with Icon to find out if the swaybar spacer is included with the CDEV front shocks or has to be ordered separately..

@Dusty at ICON

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The phone number on their website not work?
Sponsored