Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Please let us know the release and design plan for heavier rear springs for use with rigs carrying weight like RTT, gear, fridge, etc etc
Sponsored

Defyfate11

First Edition
First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry TRD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
@Dusty at ICON, I am in need of stiffer rear shocks. Is there any plans for heavier-duty rear springs?

Dusty at ICON

Base
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
@Dusty at ICON, I am in need of stiffer rear shocks. Is there any plans for heavier-duty rear springs?
Those are two different things but yes we have heavier duty rear springs in the works. I do not have a timeline for them.

KompressorV12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Every manufacturer and their mother has been saying “yes heavier springs in the works” for over a year with not a single release. I’m wondering if there is some systemic issue. Like what’s the problem?

Sponsored

Dusty at ICON

Base
First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Every manufacturer and their mother has been saying “yes heavier springs in the works” for over a year with not a single release. I’m wondering if there is some systemic issue. Like what’s the problem?
I can't speak for the other manufacturers but for us there are a couple of hurdles. First is that there are only a couple of spring manufacturers, and they make springs for everybody, so there's always a bottleneck. Not just for production runs but for prototyping as well, and a new spring design goes through several rounds of prototype and revision. The other issue at play is that Broncos aren't the only vehicles out there. I know for us Bronco enthusiasts it seems like these companies should have nothing else to work on. But that's also how the Toyota, Jeep, Raptor and pickup guys feel too. So there are always dozens of R&D projects working their way through at any one time.

KompressorV12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can't speak for the other manufacturers but for us there are a couple of hurdles. First is that there are only a couple of spring manufacturers, and they make springs for everybody, so there's always a bottleneck. Not just for production runs but for prototyping as well, and a new spring design goes through several rounds of prototype and revision. The other issue at play is that Broncos aren't the only vehicles out there. I know for us Bronco enthusiasts it seems like these companies should have nothing else to work on. But that's also how the Toyota, Jeep, Raptor and pickup guys feel too. So there are always dozens of R&D projects working their way through at any one time.
I greatly appreciate the context as I’m genuinely curious. But during the height of COVID manufacturing and supply chain issues back in 2021 and early 2022 spring manufactures were able to release dozens of different spring products including icon. But 2 years later and we still don’t have a single pair of heavy springs. I’m the peanut gallery here but the bronco I’d assume is the overlanding SUV of choice with its IFS. Seems whoever releases these things first will make a killing.

OP
OP
Inlinejohn

Inlinejohn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I greatly appreciate the context as I’m genuinely curious. But during the height of COVID manufacturing and supply chain issues back in 2021 and early 2022 spring manufactures were able to release dozens of different spring products including icon. But 2 years later and we still don’t have a single pair of heavy springs. I’m the peanut gallery here but the bronco I’d assume is the overlanding SUV of choice with its IFS. Seems whoever releases these things first will make a killing.
Seems supply chain just gets worse

Dusty at ICON

Base
First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Base 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think that might be the view from where you sit. Yes there are a lot of overlanders. And every one of them has a YouTube channel so it makes it seem like every Bronco out there has a rooftop tent, fridge and a thousand pounds of Goose Gear. But back out for the wider view and you'll see that it's actually a relatively small percentage of the total. So the incentive from a numbers perspective isn't quite as strong as it may look to someone who is immersed in that community. But it's still a significant sub-market, and since it's all-enthusiasts, we (and I'm sure the other companies) want to be a part of it. But it's not quite a "drop everything else until this is done" type of thing.

Nor is the Bronco quite as dominant in overlanding as you might think. There are a TON more Toyotas and Jeep Gladiators set up for it. And they didn't stop making those when the Bronco came out. Sure, the Bronco is making some headway in that market but it's still the newcomer. We cater to all of these vehicle platforms so we are able to see a wider view.

Yes Covid seriously F'd up the supply chain on many things. And we've recovered from some of that but some issues still linger. Also back then many companies "released" products but weren't actually able to deliver them for quite some time afterward. I think it was about 6 or 7 months for us, between when we announced our coilover kits and the first productions runs started shipping. So it's not like things were happening very fast back then either.
Sponsored