Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
They tumble the seat forward
the 2-door rear seats DO tumble forward. Still don't lay flat...for some reason - obviously intentional - Ford is not allowing images of the 2-door cargo area to circulate.
Sponsored

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Or,

They tumble the seat forward. And if thats not good enough, they have a quick release system to remove the entire rear seat.
If the chair is mounted on the floor already, you can't tumble the whole thing forward without having additional length in front of the chair, which they don't have.

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So I did a crude drawing of the seats/how they work.

As I was saying before, the 2 door's seats sit between the rear wheel wells, which means there's no full well for the seat bottom to pivot down into like the 4 door (middle, right), which sits in front of the wheel wells. That's why the 2 door's pivot the seat bottom upward and the back downward. In order to have the seat either fold and flip forward completely or to have a similar arrangement to the 4-door's, you'd have to have a lot more room between the front seat and back seat/wheel well, which isn't possible.

And the reality is, they didn't even "solve" it for the 4 door, as there's still the step there - they just "fix" it by having the higher load floor with the tailgate.

The reality is, it'd be a moot point had Ford just raised the cargo floor 4" to meet the folded seat height they could have done that and still had the tailgate optional in the 4 door - but then the complaint would be "oh there's a wasted 4" of empty space at the back with a high loadover height," " i lost 4" of cargo space" etc. etc.

Ford Bronco ICYMI: Good look at 2 Door Bronco trunk size / cargo space 1597431310583

gonyr

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not so crude, and very clearly illustrated. I agree that this is how it should work. But why the secrecy? A simple photo of the 2D seats in the stowed position that you diagrammed would end the debate. But all I've seen in any photo or video so far is the seat back flopped down on the bottom in its regular position, and therefore at a pretty steep angle.

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Not so crude, and very clearly illustrated. I agree that this is how it should work. But why the secrecy? A simple photo of the 2D seats in the stowed position that you diagrammed would end the debate. But all I've seen in any photo or video so far is the seat back flopped down on the bottom in its regular position, and therefore at a pretty steep angle.
Crude in the sense of not actual seat shapes, and I just guessed at placement of everything just to get an idea.

I don't think it's any big "secret" since we know how it works. But I agree, it'd be nice to see a picture if anything so we can move on to the next complaint :p :p :p

Sponsored

LMB

Black Diamond
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 F250 Superduty 2016 Jeep Wrangler 2door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My 1996 2 door Explorer folded exactly like your drawing. The cargo floor was 100% flat when done. I was an acceptable system, I just didnt like the amount of dirt that ended up on the seats when in the folded position.
My 2005 Ford Escape was vey similar also, the headreasts were a bit more awkward to deal with.
If I look at the Ford Edge, it is how you are explaining the Bronco will be. When you look at the Edge, you will also notice that the 2 levels are not parallel to each other.

Ultimate6g

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT8 Challenger, Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Base
If the chair is mounted on the floor already, you can't tumble the whole thing forward without having additional length in front of the chair, which they don't have.
In your picture under "stowed for flat options" you are referencing a rear access folding seat, not a tumbling seat like in the wrangler 2 door.

That seat pivots on the front bottom leading edge of the seat cushion once backrest folds forward on top. Literally using no extra space except whats there for leg room. No additional wheelbase would be required.

Not to mention the fact the bronco already has a longer wheelbase and overall length than the 2 door JL.

I love the bronco but lets just admit it, Ford kinda half assed that rear seat fold on the two door or their plan is to pander to accessories than out of the box functionality with it.

LMB

Black Diamond
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 F250 Superduty 2016 Jeep Wrangler 2door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You keep pushing your lumber idea; Been there; Done that; Took the pictures.
It was easier working from a flat cargo floor.
I was expecting more from Ford!
Ford Bronco ICYMI: Good look at 2 Door Bronco trunk size / cargo space P1020014.JPG

P1020012.JPG

Broncola

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Element, ‘75 Bronco widow
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If the reason they made these current model year rear seat and cargo floor level decisions is to hide a future hybrid battery I’m gonna be pissed.??

Sponsored

69351windsor

Base
First Name
JW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Merc, Ranger, HD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My 1996 2 door Explorer folded exactly like your drawing. The cargo floor was 100% flat when done. I was an acceptable system, I just didnt like the amount of dirt that ended up on the seats when in the folded position.
My 2005 Ford Escape was vey similar also, the headreasts were a bit more awkward to deal with.
If I look at the Ford Edge, it is how you are explaining the Bronco will be. When you look at the Edge, you will also notice that the 2 levels are not parallel to each other.
Agreed. Again, I drove a Bronco II for 12 years & it's slightly smaller than the new Bronc - seats tumbled & floor was flat. Unless there is some unavoidable structural design reason its baffling why Ford wouldn't be able to accomplish this seat folding again in the new Bronc.

This is not my BroncoII but you can see how the tumbled seats folded up against the back of the fronts...And how some clever dude is customizing his floor. I don;'t remember the dimensions but it was tall, one could stuff an enormous amount of cargo in there...

Ford Bronco ICYMI: Good look at 2 Door Bronco trunk size / cargo space 15837854_large

Ford Bronco ICYMI: Good look at 2 Door Bronco trunk size / cargo space 11555921-1990-ford-bronco-ii-std

Last edited:

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If the reason they made these current model year rear seat and cargo floor level decisions is to hide a future hybrid battery I’m gonna be pissed.??
It would make sense

If you looked at the cmax hybrid vs cmax plug in, that rear cargo area is exactly where the shoved the extra battery

Colorado buff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner 2000, Mini Cooper convertible
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

As I was saying before, the 2 door's seats sit between the rear wheel wells, which means there's no full well for the seat bottom to pivot down into like the 4 door (middle, right), which sits in front of the wheel wells. That's why the 2 door's pivot the seat bottom upward and the back downward. In order to have the seat either fold and flip forward completely or to have a similar arrangement to the 4-door's, you'd have to have a lot more room between the front seat and back seat/wheel well, which isn't possible.

And the reality is, they didn't even "solve" it for the 4 door, as there's still the step there - they just "fix" it by having the higher load floor with the tailgate.

The reality is, it'd be a moot point had Ford just raised the cargo floor 4" to meet the folded seat height they could have done that and still had the tailgate optional in the 4 door - but then the complaint would be "oh there's a wasted 4" of empty space at the back with a high loadover height," " i lost 4" of cargo space" etc. etc.

Ford Bronco ICYMI: Good look at 2 Door Bronco trunk size / cargo space 11555921-1990-ford-bronco-ii-std
Fantastic! Nice work!

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pretty sure that it was said that while the headrests for the two door fold up when the seats fold, the ones on the 4 door fold down. That could’ve been wrong though.

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Pretty sure that it was said that while the headrests for the two door fold up when the seats fold, the ones on the 4 door fold down. That could’ve been wrong though.
They may. The headrests weren't really the focus of it lol.
Sponsored