First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have begun planning for some summer roadtrips with the family in the Bronco. Though we have a four door, space is going to be tight. I have been researching options for external storage: receiver racks, over-the-spare racks (none currently for Bronco) and exoskeletons, like the GOBI rack.

The GOBI appeals to me, but the difficulty of lowering the soft top with it loaded is an issue. I have just about decided I need to design my own. Here's my idea:
The soft top flops back to its half position and leaves around 1/4 of the top in the closed position. A rack that covers only that portion would be ideal to provide extra storage without limiting tailgate operation or soft top flip-back. So like here:
Ford Bronco Idea for soft top half-rack side

So the first order of business was to investigate fastening options on that portion of the Bronco. If you have a soft top, note the gap at the bottom of the side windows...large enough to fit a bracket, if there were only a place to fasten it. Note the following pre-threaded holes in the top of the Bronco side rail:
Ford Bronco Idea for soft top half-rack threaded hole

There are three of these that are accessible with the soft top installed--one near the tailgate, another about 2 inches up the rail toward the front, and another just behind the backseat back. So theoretically, a bracket could extend along the rail, with three anchor points, and contoured flanges could protrude out from under the bottom seal of the soft top to hold legs for the rack. The side window would allow for this, and the legs being on the side would mean they wouldn't interfere with the tailgate opening.

I have some talented machinist friends who could fab this. What do you all think? Did I miss something obvious?
Sponsored

Bronco-ocnorB

Big Bend
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I like it! The only thing it would hinder is the back of the top lifting up in order to access the "truck" area. I do not have mine yet so I don't know how easy or useful that is. But I would be interested in a solution like this as well.

Keep posting on progress!

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How's it going to stay sealed?

OP
OP
88to21bronco

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I like it! The only thing it would hinder is the back of the top lifting up in order to access the "truck" area. I do not have mine yet so I don't know how easy or useful that is. But I would be interested in a solution like this as well.

Keep posting on progress!
I have the IAG struts for the back lift, and I use it occasionally. But not enough to deter a design like this. Plus, when we arrive at a camping spot, I would unload the rack first, disconnect it, then I could raise the top as I needed.

OP
OP
88to21bronco

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
How's it going to stay sealed?
The soft top? Gravity is the first benefit here...It's not exactly air-tight as it is, but rain doesn't get in this seal (so far). And the rubber gasket would close around the bracket I would think.

Sponsored
OP
OP
88to21bronco

88to21bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This thread has similar ideas in it. But by George, I'm determined to get something like this done. It just seems too simple not to do.

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The soft top? Gravity is the first benefit here...It's not exactly air-tight as it is, but rain doesn't get in this seal (so far). And the rubber gasket would close around the bracket I would think.
Key words are "so far".

Not trying to be a pessimist, the field engineering side (not an actual engineer, Ford tech by trade*) is just thinking. Sure it's not air tight as it, however, adding something that will warp the existing seal is the concern. I don't see it being too big of a deal for rain, it's more about the added wind noise (and possible whistle at highway speeds?) and other added stress on the fabric. I don't have a soft top so I can't speak to how much play you have on the material when it's secured in place on the vehicle, but that will have to move some as well to accommodate the new bracket in place.

Maybe an thin "L" bracket to help minimize the effect it would have on the performance of the seal? But I'm not sure of how thin of a piece to use that would withstand the load. I know it's not much, relatively speaking but it'll have both lateral and vertical stress on it.

Also the racks in the other post that people are post don't technically apply as they have the windows removed. So, as for those truly being applicable to what you want isn't realistic. It does show an idea but the bars appear to be in the way.