Sponsored

If I had a $1 everytime someone asked if the 2.3 was enough...

RubyRuin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had a Colorado ZR2 Diesel, and all of its 180 HP managed to move that 4700 pound mass along just fine on the highway, merging or cruising. I'm not quite sure why all of a sudden the 2.3L is not sufficient enough to get the Bronco up to speed.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had a Colorado ZR2 Diesel, and all of its 180 HP managed to move that 4700 pound mass along just fine on the highway, merging or cruising. I'm not quite sure why all of a sudden the 2.3L is not sufficient enough to get the Bronco up to speed.
And the thing with factory turbo vehicles is they make easy power with a few mods+tune, so unless you're a purist who'd scoff at the idea of anything aftermarket, not like ya can't make more buff ponies

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
It's maddening. It's like people think that Ford put zero thought into it and we will only find out the 2.3 is not ebough when the Bronco doesn't even have enough power to get over a speedbump in the lot.

Ill never forget the guy I argued with on here who figured the 2.3 lacked the power to even merge onto a highway.

Depends on intended use. For off-roading the 2.3L should be great. Tons of low end torque to allow the 35 inch Squatch tires to crawl over most anything with confidence. However, those same Squatch tires will make your highway merge acceleration, well let's say sluggish. Call me crazy, but I like acceleration and driving fast. With 35s, road driving will be slow in the 2.3, with 32s it will be okay. I'm going either 32 or 33s and definitely getting the 2.7L. Very seriously considering the Ford Performance pack too to hopefully get up to 350 hp. big tires + 2.3 = low power. Sorry, that's just physics.

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Sorry. The 2.7 is just a stroked 2.3 with some holes drilled in the side for extra injectors.

And the 2.3 is just a modernized Lima motor from the Mustang II, Pinto and Mercury Bobcat from 1974 with some holes drilled in the top for direct injection.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Depends on intended use. For off-roading the 2.3L should be great. Tons of low end torque to allow the 35 inch Squatch tires to crawl over most anything with confidence. However, those same Squatch tires will make your highway merge acceleration, well let's say sluggish. Call me crazy, but I like acceleration and driving fast. With 35s, road driving will be slow in the 2.3, with 32s it will be okay. I'm going either 32 or 33s and definitely getting the 2.7L. Very seriously considering the Ford Performance pack too to hopefully get up to 350 hp. big tires + 2.3 = low power. Sorry, that's just physics.
Ha. Here we go again. It's physics it will be slower but if you can't get on the highway with a modern vehicle out of the factory, no matter the options, that's on your ability not the motors power.

I said it on the other thread... Everyone is just trying to justify the 2.7 to themselves. Ha. Which is fine. I don't care what you get but thinking the 2.3 will not be able to run at highway speeds and merge appropriately is laughable.

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last edited:

Sponsored

OJ_Loose

Badlands
First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Best comment so far. I've got the new ranger. It pulls pretty hard once it gets going even up here at 6000 feet. Paired with the stick it will be more than enough power. My only gripe is the slow takeoffs with the 10 speed auto, but once its gets going its pretty quick. The stick will fix that.
Exactly! The only people who understand are people who have Rangers

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yeah, I'm will I be ok with 270 hp?

It's like these folks don't remember when v8s had 150 hp, and speedometer topped out at 85

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I figure if I can pull a tractor with my non-ecoboost v6 F150 (3.7) the 2.3 will be more than sufficient to haul a 2 door Bronco around.

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It’s more Torque than the wranglers v6 and that one feels plenty powerful with its gearing. I would still opt for the v6 bronco though. Hard to say no to more power.
Sponsored