Sponsored

If I had a $1 everytime someone asked if the 2.3 was enough...

Hagen0201

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is it under 3500lbs? Then yes.
Thank you for the input. Yes it is under 3,500 lbs. I have to pull it over a mountain and just wanted to be sure. I have a 2002 chevy silverado with a 5.3 with over 200 thousand miles on it and it does ok but lacks some power with the mileage. Thanks again.

OP
OP
Rogues Gambit

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can we also add “white roof” into this? Enough. You didn’t get the white roof. Leave it alone.
It'll quickly turn into this:

Deleted member 13702

I loved reading this thread, I think it should continue.

So....... Do you think the 2.3l will have enough power to get over the bump at the start of my driveway (Sarcastic response encouraged)?

Will it be able to win a tug of war with a wrangler?

Can I jump it like a raptor?

Sponsored

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you upgrade to 37s, will the 2.3 Bronco still be able to move?

Ciz_Bronc_23

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I had a Colorado ZR2 Diesel, and all of its 180 HP managed to move that 4700 pound mass along just fine on the highway, merging or cruising. I'm not quite sure why all of a sudden the 2.3L is not sufficient enough to get the Bronco up to speed.
You're also talking about a diesel which has significantly more torque then a gas motor. I do believe the 2.3 will be enough, especially after some upgrades and a tune but I can't compare a diesel to a gasser.

Frank N

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

If I had a dollar for everytime I saw a question on a truck forum that was already answered, I would buy controlling interest of Ford and and give the Bronco a V8 option AND open the order books the same day.

Ciz_Bronc_23

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have had my exchanges with Rick A a few times, but then again we both like turning wrenches. I am most likely getting the 2.7. Someone mentioned the $3500 cost for the 2.7 and I got to thinking if I got the 2.3 which has plenty of power and it failed with some mileage I can probably pick up another one from a wrecked stang or Bronco and spend a day or two and swap it out for less than the $3500. Hmmmm....
I'm thinking get the 2.3L now and if it blows up down the road then swap in a built 2.3L and get around that 500HP mark without worry. Maybe that will cost more then $3500 but I will have peace of mind beating on it.

Sponsored

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Off road or on back roads I am sure the 2.3 will be way more than adequate. I worry more about on road driving- blending into very fast moving traffic or making a lane change into speeding traffic to make a turn a mile ahead, etc. Very many straight, flat roads here in FL where traffic moves very fast- 70 MPH+. I frequently have to accelerate to 90 or 100 to merge in and not get get run over. Even in my 2016 Camaro (V6 with 6 speed) I have to mash it hard and people are still tailgating me. (and that car is no slouch). When I drive my 97 TJ it's like I am a sitting duck and it just won't go any faster......(I love my TJ other than for this reason). So if I have the 2.3 and manual and have to downshift at 60 or 70 to accelerate, will it be enough?

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If i had a dollar everytime i was asked if the 2.3 was enough i could buy the tune!
Lol guilty i had to drive it for my self its going to be fine?

Mountain Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Full size GM SUV
Your Bronco Model
Base
Off road or on back roads I am sure the 2.3 will be way more than adequate. I worry more about on road driving- blending into very fast moving traffic or making a lane change into speeding traffic to make a turn a mile ahead, etc. Very many straight, flat roads here in FL where traffic moves very fast- 70 MPH+. I frequently have to accelerate to 90 or 100 to merge in and not get get run over. Even in my 2016 Camaro (V6 with 6 speed) I have to mash it hard and people are still tailgating me. (and that car is no slouch). When I drive my 97 TJ it's like I am a sitting duck and it just won't go any faster......(I love my TJ other than for this reason). So if I have the 2.3 and manual and have to downshift at 60 or 70 to accelerate, will it be enough?
I rented a 2021 jl wrangler Sahara for a week in South Florida (Miami area). It had a 4 cylinder and I was surprised by it. It was able to keep up on the interstate 70-80 no problem. This was the first 4 cylinder I drove in over 20years. I was shocked by the high pitch sound the engine makes. I got used to it.

I believe ford’s 2.3 is a better motor.

However, I am more concerned about long term durability. It feel like these souped up 4 cylinders are so maxed out, the strain will cause accelerated wear.

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm thinking get the 2.3L now and if it blows up down the road then swap in a built 2.3L and get around that 500HP mark without worry. Maybe that will cost more then $3500 but I will have peace of mind beating on it.
Well, the 2.7 will last longer than a 2.3. No doubt, but there will be blind nay-sayers. Nonetheless, I want to add the sure numbers of the 2.3 will make easy to pick up cheap.

Jpeyer

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250 Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m sure the 2.3 has plenty of power. I would rather have a 6 cylinder than a fully wound 4 if it was tuned. The 4 would be fun but high strung and shortened maintenance life on plugs coils etc..
Sponsored